Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
RodeWorthy

Back filling fresh water tank .....again

I have about had it with problem of my fresh water tank filling when connected to fresh water supply. This is due to internal check valve in the pump leaking or blocked open with debris. The current problem is sporadic but a nuisance just the same. This forum has reported many incidents of this problem over the years.
I am going to install an external check valve in the inlet line. This is not a new solution -- someone else posted this solution in the last year or so. A search did not bring up the information which I believe gave a part number for a valve that could be purchased from Lowes or similar store.

Anyone know anything about this solution? Would like to hear from you if you do.

Thanks,

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
golf_bears

Hi Don,

Have you considered just replacing the water pump?

Take care,

Roland

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
billr

Don

When I replaced the check valve on the back of the WH a few months ago I saw several different configs of these valves for fitting size and type. The RV store I got one at had some to chose from. Maybe one of those will adapt to what you want to do. Its a good idea to stop it once and for all. Camco has them and on line too.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Motor31

Whichever valve you install, can you post pix of the fix? I haven't had much of a problem with this....yet. Running the pump once in a while still seems to solve it but I know it's only a matter of time.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
RodeWorthy

Water Pump Backflow Valve

This problem continues. After several days of steady levels at 31% in the tank I get up this morning to a level of 86% -- and we are traveling tomorrow. Guess it will be a long shower today. Yesterday, I shut off the cg water to service the water softener and that must have done it. My GW turned the pump on for a short use while this was going on.

Roland, I have changed so many pumps I have lost count. Went through at least 5 of the 5.7 variable speed Smartsensor variety before I took Carney Bill's lead and changed out to a Revolution 3.0 GPM fixed displacement pump. The latter has been a good pump but we are getting these sporadic incidents with the backfill. The 5.7 failures were for different reasons but at least one was a failed check valve.

Shurflo has been great about the replacements but even they hinted that changing out away from the Smartsensor would be a good idea. We have no problem with the 3.0 GPM flow. I have a spare pump and I note there is a part number for the check valve itself.

BTW, I installed an accumulator to take care of the 'hunting' that occurs with a fixed displacement pump.

It just seems to be a good idea to have a backflow preventer right in the line.

Bill, it might be possible to adapt the water heater check valve for this purpose but it has occurred to me it might be necessary to have a lighter spring in the suction line of the pump. At Lowes they have a 1/2" valve which is too big. I noted the spring to hold the valve closed was quite stiff. This is OK in a pressure line but might be an issue in the suction line. I will keep looking.

Mike, will be sure to post information and pictures when a suitable fix is found. We are traveling toward home so that may be a while.

Thanks for your input fellas.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
netjam

Why not put the check valve after the pump on the outlet side? Not sure why you want it on the suction side?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
porkchop

That's the way mine came from the factory.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
netjam

I guess I don't understand why the check valve would be on the suction side, but I guess if that's where they put it...... To me, the pump has very little suction (when compared to outlet presure) so why have the pump overcome the additional task of sucking through the check valve? With the check valve before the pump any pump leaks would draw from city water presure to keep leaking etc. I'm no expert but putting a check valve in the suction line seems backwards to me........ but like I said, I'm no expert and have been wrong many times before. Glad the internal check valve in my pump works so I don't need an extra inline one.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
porkchop

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. My check valve is on the pressure side, not suction side. Sorry

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
netjam

Bill....on second view, you were clear......my mind just read it incorrectly...