Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Haggis

Off Door Slide Adjustment Needed

I have a 2007 38RL3.

When the off door slide starts to move in; it moves up and forward then binds against the trim where the living room pocket doors are. In this situation I have to sit on the kitchen counter to bring the slid down towards the floor, in order for the slide to clear the trim. The wife then can bring the slide in while I sit on the kitchen counter. I have had the factory work on this problem four times and the dealer once.

I'm sure someone must have had this problem too.

I would like to tackle this problem myself, but do not know how. Would appreciate advice how to to fix this..................Geoff

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
golf_bears

Geoff,

Do you need to get this fixed before the rally in Goshen? If not, I think we are going and I could help you there. I had a similar problem with my dinette slide and finally got it aligned with the adjustment screws beneath the slide.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
bstark

Geoff: That was a problem I had for some time as well.

That slideout rests on rollers spread across the entire width (23') of the slideout so in essence no adjustment of height exists to change the relationship of the slideout to the coach body.

As long as you assure yourself that the cylinder is not pulling down on the outer attachment of the slideout at commencement of retraction and adjust accordingly; that is the extent of the adjustment that can be made easily without shimming or fooling with those rollers.

The problem comes from it being a relatively shallow depth slideout with it's overhang weight from appliances etc., at start of retraction causing the drag from the top wiper seals to hang the top back.

You have to be careful with this as you can virtually lift that center wall corner above the slideout and cause some damage.

I relieved a lot of the problem by using a combo of the spray foam seal lube on the top wiper seal and a vinyl protectant/polish treatment for car upholstery called Vinylex by Lexol on the top of the slideout under the wiper seal and along a strip about 10" out on the roof of the slideout so it would not stick but flib over quicker.

That reduced the problem to it being one of hanging up only periodicly at which time I'd simply walk over and yank down on the top of the pocket door opening then resume retracting the slideout.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Haggis

Thanks Bruce.......will try the simple stuff first; combo spray foam and Vinylex before doing any adjustments.

Still at home in Toronto, so will have to wait untill I can find my unit as it is buried in the white stuff that has been hanging around here for the past few months. It's not pool weather here yet. :o............ Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstark
Geoff: That was a problem I had for some time as well.

That slideout rests on rollers spread across the entire width (23') of the slideout so in essence no adjustment of height exists to change the relationship of the slideout to the coach body.

As long as you assure yourself that the cylinder is not pulling down on the outer attachment of the slideout at commencement of retraction and adjust accordingly; that is the extent of the adjustment that can be made easily without shimming or fooling with those rollers.

The problem comes from it being a relatively shallow depth slideout with it's overhang weight from appliances etc., at start of retraction causing the drag from the top wiper seals to hang the top back.

You have to be careful with this as you can virtually lift that center wall corner above the slideout and cause some damage.

I relieved a lot of the problem by using a combo of the spray foam seal lube on the top wiper seal and a vinyl protectant/polish treatment for car upholstery called Vinylex by Lexol on the top of the slideout under the wiper seal and along a strip about 10" out on the roof of the slideout so it would not stick but flib over quicker.

That reduced the problem to it being one of hanging up only periodicly at which time I'd simply walk over and yank down on the top of the pocket door opening then resume retracting the slideout.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Haggis

Have been putting up with this problem for a while now, so can wait until the Rally. If the problem still exists we can work on it together.

Let me know if you will be attending the rally?

Thanks golf_bears.......................Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears
Geoff,
Do you need to get this fixed before the rally in Goshen? If not, I think we are going and I could help you there. I had a similar problem with my dinette slide and finally got it aligned with the adjustment screws beneath the slide.