Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
SL592

What options if you had to do it over again....

We are looking very hard at the MS 38RSSB3 and are pouring over the options that are on the build sheet.

We have made some additional requests and DRV has not batted an eye. If you had to do it over again, what options would you get, what changes would you make?

SL592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Gemstone

As I've said before, I would remove from the spec sheet, things that I could provide of better quality and cheaper, bedding, the entertainment system, the recliners, coffee maker, etc. I'd insist on a better quality finish (or more coats) on surfaces that get wear, like the table top, desk, dresser top. Unseen items, like drawer glides, water connections, air ducts need close inspection.... at times, the installation crew takes costly (for buyers) shortcuts. I'd pull out the RV fridge, and replace with a larger, cheaper, better quality residential fridge, powered by a pure sine wave inverter and battery bank, I'd have ample solar panels installed.
I'd put more emphasis on running gear, axles, wheels, brakes, less emphasis on frills.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
hitchup

We were limited by work and time, so missed a few customizations. Some items are better added after market, but some better from the factory.

I not only get ideas from RV forums, but from HGTV for small spaces and houseboats.

Next one:
-Eliminate window behind TV (we did), also no bathroom window (we forgot) for a Locking mirror cabinet, extra shelves in pantry, brm linen closet
-Have DRV wire entertainment center, we provide all TV's and electronics, add printer drawer under TV or dinette desk, wider file drawers,
-Not only extend Island, but add door access to dinette side
-No furniture or blinds (we'll provide our own), residential refrigerator, Whirlpool W/D,
-Keep basement slide, generator prep (we provide out own),
-Build in 3-4 bottle wine rack and small bookcase under rear window door side.

Not much different than what we already have. It's only taken 3 years of adjustments. My list of tweeks is getting shorter!
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Motor31

Gemstone covered almost all of it. Since we do dry camp every year we would still stay with the rv fridge.

I'd use smaller windows, better sealing of same as well as every hatch and the door. I'd also use more sealing around the slides. A single wiper seal hardly covers it.

Better slide rollers and or design to eliminate tearing up the floors or staining the carpets because the slide rests on the carpeting in movement!

More option for a regular residential (if apt sized) washer and dryer. The splendide stuff is pretty worthless even if it cost 1/4 what it does.

Mandatory option is a second AC unit on any unit and having both set as heat pumps is a nice idea.

BETTER QUALITY drawer slide equipment. Silly to use dime store grade drawer "gliders" that shed ball bearings every time you move the rig.

Do have the factory install the satellite antenna for the TV system. Trying to locate the cable later on is a real adventure at times.

Better placement of the ceiling fans so they are effective.

A power cable roller with at least a 30' power cable would be nice. We got a 25' cable that has to be folded into a small space.

Put the sewer pipe away from the tires. If the left front tire blows it takes out the sewer pipe and causes damage farther "upstream". Should be a no brainer, besides who likes having to deal with the slide overhang hooking or unhooking it. External sewer hose storage for at least a 15' hose instead of an internal 9' tube.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
missourijan

We bought the MS 36 RSSB3 off the lot at Wheels RV. We previously ordered a 2007 Select from the factory. I always said if I got another one I would eliminate the carpeting in the living room (at least back to the couch area) and just have linoleum, easier to keep clean. Well, I have carpet in the living room again. If we get to the factory this summer, I'm going to ask how much to take it out. The only other thing I would change is the size of drawers in the bedroom vanity slide. Toooooo small, I would order the bigger drawers, 6 drawers instead of the tiny 9. I would just have linoleum in front of the "laundry room". This carpet mats down right away and it should be linoleum all the way to the bed. I'm always afraid I will spill laundry detergent when putting a load in.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
billr

Moride IS suspension, 17.5" tires and "Dexter" (not kodiak) Disc brakes. Only Dexter Neverlube bearings or the Oil bath ones they have now. (not Lippert bearings)

Have IS installed at Moride's Shop. If DRV takes it there fine, if DRV or Lippert is installing it, then get basic spring axles and no extra Trailair stuff and take the trailer to Moride after Delivery and get it changed over. Cost is not that bad. May even save some $ doing it that way. Others have.

Like Mike said 2 A/Cs with heat pumps in both. Nice to have options for use later.

Add two elec awnings, Fabric type, the newer ones that allow the front to be manually dropped down to follow sun.

Thermo pane windows are a must.

Better qaulity if it can be had would be huge! On everything. Especially slide sealing and operation mechs. Better design Slide hose, elec harness straps.

Retractable power cord in the center of trailer, not by rear. Min 30'

Under coach sewer hose conatainers enough for 30'

4 batteries or at least a place for adding 2 more.

Area for adding a water Softener and 2 filters inside. With acces.

Locate all tanks so they can be accessed and replaced or repaired, with Sea Level gauges. All dump valves accessable.

Wire Kitchen and Living areas on seperate circuits!

Set up a small basic 1200watt inverter to power Some Kit and LR and BR circiuts for TV and etc use off grid on batts. Avoid genny use later at night and AM.

Just a start!! ha
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
bucky49

If you are going to full time make sure what you add does not make your 5ver too heavy. suites are allready pin heavy. Go for 3 axles if you can get them the frame on MS and up is heavy enough.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
bucky49

Bill r and co. covered alot but a couple things nobody mentioned. Leave out skylight in bath, heat loss, minimize windows same reason. I went with heatsrips in AC because heatpumps only good for 20 deg change. If you have free campground elect. no problem, if you don't have cg elect. propane heat cheaper and it keeps your tanks and water supply from freezing. or you have to put elect. heater in basement. Thats if your going to be in sub freezing at times.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
bucky49

Jan, why pay factory for capet, tile work when there are eminately more qualified people in your own home town just leave strip of carpet in front of slides, unless raised like our bedroom.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
bucky49

Ahhh, I forgot Mike I added my own fenders to protect from blowout and rerouted hydlines inside bracket to protect some. Can't use level up to change flat if all lines torn away by flat, not to mention electric lines to slides and brake lines exposed on frame by wheels.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
bucky49

If you can get residential refridge why not 4 burner residential gas stove and oven with electronic ignition.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Motor31

Jan,

You can't get away from carpeting on the flush floor slide side. That is what the slide rides on. Without the carpet the slide would tear up the tile. There are no rollers supporting the inside portion of the slide at all. The bottom of the slide just slides over the carpeting. That's why it is so hard to keep clean as the slide drags all the dirt from the underside into the room. The slide also has a tendency to trap dirt in the part that the slide edge fits into when it is extended. It is a long cup that is not really sealed from the environment by that single wiper seal.

Nancy would love to have linoleum through most of the rig as well. It might be cold on bare feet in the winter times but infinitely easier to care for. There are lots of throw rugs available to use that would be easier to deal with.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
berghild424

options

we eliminated wall mounted lighting there are plenty of lights in here. it;s nice to have a place to hang paintings or photos.
extended the cabinet over recliners all the way over dinette. lowering dinette window to match recliner window made this work.
wish we had access to disland from both sides.
we have mostly linoleum and it is nice.
we had a cabinet guy install adjustable siding drawers to china cupboard and howard added sliding platform to appliance garage.....that was the best thing....i LOVE IT. there are 4 sliding shelves in china cupboard...one is really narrow for just platters. the hardward in the cabinet is kinda jugly but we are hoping to replace it someday. it really doesn't show until the doors are opened. and on the road we bungee the doors shut just in case.
we bought our furniture separate and finally exchanged out the lazy boy stuff and bought furniture at mattress warehouse in Yuma. for a small outfit they go the extra mile. the had little end tables that are really great.
we have the tilt up buffet shelf that they eliminated and we can't imagine being without it.
we ordered it with booth dinette for the extra storage...just recently ripped it out and put in the table and chairs.
we are in the process of removing the king bed and replacing it with a queen....a big project that i am not looking forward to.
we were wired for solar but don't have it yet. wired for generator and installed 6500 W after market. we mostly use Hondas but the big one comes in handy.
I love my splendide washer-dryer combo, but it did take getting used to. I need to get rid of all the junk over the washer and use the area over the washer for hanging coats.
I wonder if the axles should be heavier and tires J rated..or is that standard now?
I whish we were handier at doing stuff....I can hear Howard out there now tapping on something... :-), I wonder what he is doing
Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
bucky49

Led lighting, much more efficient wish we hadn't talked ourselves out of them
Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
The View 5046

SL592 e-mail sent hope it helps.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
wingnut60
Site Team

"I wonder if the axles should be heavier and tires J rated..or is that standard now?"

Assume you have the 16" wheels/tires and 7k axles? I have upgraded my wheels and tires to 17.5" and have not had a problem with them for 5 seasons. My axles are still 7k, but not too worried about them--have less than 14000lbs on them. The wheel/tire upgrade is simple, just takes money...

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote