Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
GlennWest

Mosquitos getting in rv

Currently staying at Pleasure Island rv park and they are bad. I've tapped all the openings I could find without going on top of the slides. Any pointers on where else to tape. Corners of all slides taped. All windows are freshly caulked also.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
JOHN EVANS

Glenn move up here to Davenport Iowa aint seen a sceeter here in months

JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
GlennWest

Got any good paying construction work going on? Ya'll snowed in anyway, are you not ? I'm working here with CB&I. I'm full time but still working.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
JOHN EVANS

precsion pipeline went thru my part of illinois i have a friend up in minn working on the northern portion for precsion right now. you can have my job as a diver on the rock island dam im ready to give it up too cold for these old bones
JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Motor31

On our rig the critters came through the flow through ventilation "feature" the factory put in the bottom slide seal on the street side slide. Once I plugged those openings the only way they got in was the door when we went in and out or by the screen in the fan vents. By using a yellow "bug light" above the door and keeping inside lights off when we used the door it cut down on the horde of blood suckers waiting to get in. It worked in Southern Louisiana last fall.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
On our rig the critters came through the flow through ventilation "feature" the factory put in the bottom slide seal on the street side slide. Once I plugged those openings the only way they got in was the door when we went in and out or by the screen in the fan vents. By using a yellow "bug light" above the door and keeping inside lights off when we used the door it cut down on the horde of blood suckers waiting to get in. It worked in Southern Louisiana last fall.
I taped around the slides on the bottom. Have not done the top yet. Really considering taping the inside of slides. Have to find some that won't remove the wall paper when it has to come off and don't look tacky.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
wannabe

I had some in my house a week or so ago....couldn't figure out how they got in. Then I went outside and came back in....found 4 on my shirt. They are attracted to white. My husband said he found several on his shirt also.
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
GlennWest

I lost count after 25 last night. Killed 10 already this morning. Several were "full". It is raining outside and they're worse than usual. Feel sure the kitchen slide is the culprit. Sure wish DT would have had a different design. This is the only thing I really dislike about our home.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
shergry

We had this problem on the coast of SC. The only thing that really cut down the number was putting (what I call noodles) under kitchen slide and bedroom slide. These are fiber filled tubes (usually used to keep cold air out), we also put them up the bedroom slide if it fit. Never forcing, just gently pushing. Had to remember to remove when getting ready to go, they are so soft would not really hurt anything...just did not want to make more.
Once we put these in the number decreased dramatically. Also, have put a floor fan in the door way; turn on when opening the door to try and keep out any hanging around the door.
The noodles not only help keep out the cold, but really help keep out the heat of summer, also.
Just a thought..we are happy with them.
MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
shergry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Motor31

It is possible to add a bit of a seal to the inside edge of the slides. It may or may not help with air and critter flow. I used the wide (1") door seal material you can get at the hardware store on the inside edge of the slide where it contacts the wall as it is flush against it. This only works on the top and sides though. I used the self adhesive part to put the seal on this inside edge of the seal mating surface itself. That way it's not just the sheet metal resting against the wall surfcace.

On the bottom edge of the kitchen slide, for additional insulation and air flow blockage, I take the hose insulation tubes from the hardware store and cut them in half lengthwise. I then stuff them under the bottom of the slide gap on the inside of the trailer. That helps diminish the cold air that frosts my toes at the desk.

I'm really disappointed in MS that they feel a single rubber wiper seal is adequate for both sealing the slide from the rain and air flow. Not putting an interior bulb seal is pretty poor design thinking in my opinion and certainly not indicative of an upper echelon quality full time 4 season RV.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote