Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Goaltender1

Extended Warranty

2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax. Is it worth it to purchase an extended warranty?
TIA

Goaltender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Walt

I bought mine from this place for 1/2 of what most dealers charge. It is a genuine GM extended warranty. You can do it on-line with one phone call. I think it's worth it with all the electronics these days and emissions stuff. I used it 2 times for emissions problems.

https://www.jamesblackcadillac.com/Protection-Pricing

Walt

2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

IF you want a vehicle warranty, suggest you ONLY purchase from the MFG. Just go online and google 'extended warranty for xxx truck' and you will find the discount websites.
Ford has several dealers that heavily discount ESP warranties from the dealer selling the vehicles.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Harley Jim

Bought mine Thur GM dealer, but the warranty is from Zurich! I felt like they would be around if I needed it.
Harley Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
paiceman

Extended Warranty

I have an F350, 2015. Have the extended warranty from Ford. Well worth it, only a couple of issues but expensive and it’s morebthan paid for itself
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
pterrydactyl

I have Ford extended warranty for my F250 HD diesel. Since I use it as my “mule” for hauling my “covered wagon” it gives a certain amount of piece of mind. My conversations with Budco ( handles Ford extended warranty) have been pleasant.
pterrydactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
OneReallyOldGuy

Extended warranty

I’ve never purchased an extended warranty. Everyone says “it’s paid for itself” but if that were true the warranty companies would constantly lose money and go out of business.
Now I’m faced with that dilemma again having just taken delivery of my new DRV. The warranty being offered is for 9 years with a clause that refunds part of the purchase price if you sell the unit before the 9 years is up.
The contract lists every part of every component that is covered. Since I don’t know how everything is built, how am I supposed to know what’s NOT covered?
I haven’t gotten a price quote yet and I’ve got 30 days to decide. Your thoughts both pro and con would be appreciated.
Phil
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
pterrydactyl

As you say the info provides a list of parts covered. Consider what you may have seen on forums that owners gripe about failing.
Axle and suspension
Roof and windows
Appliances (TV, Refrigerator, Stove, Entainment unit, etc)
Lamination problems
Distribution and Inverter
Tanks

Use you imagination and experience and the experiences of others . Watch the gripe list on any forum you belong to. After you have compiled a list check to see if those item are covered to your satisfaction. Check for and note any exclusions in the coverage. Don’t take a “it’s not covered” from the person on the phone. They are trained to say that as many accept that as the final word and they just roll over. In 9 years something will fail and you may have to argue with them.
If the warranty has , either specific or vague, maintainance list stick to it. It’s one place they can get to you and deny the claim. Start a journal and keep service copies and receipts and list the maintainance you yourself do. If I replace a screw I list it in my service journal. They don’t make it easy for you and you don’t want to make it easy for them.
So of the extended warranties I’ve had on cars have been good to work with. Others not so good. It boils down balancing dollars and provided service and coverage. Then there’s the personal satisificstion of knowing you have done all you can to protect your investment.
I wish you good luck in deciding what to do. I’m sure you’ll come to the right decision as to what’s best for you. Let’s us know what you decide.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Generally I read that warranties that say what ISNT covered (exclusionary) are better to have/make claims. Those that say what IS covered (inclusionary) have tons of outs in the fine print.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
OneReallyOldGuy

Covered parts

I guess I wasn’t clear in my post. For example each covered part of the A/C system is listed. Condenser coil, evaporator, etc. I have no way of knowing what parts of that system are not covered. Most warranties list the exclusions. Has anyone heard of a policy like this?
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
pterrydactyl

Most people do just “Generally” read the warranty. They scan and gloss over the fine print. Did you read the “Term and Services” of the last thing you joined on the Internet. How about those of this forum? I think we all do that in most cases. However, when it comes to money and getting a fair value it Important to read and understand what you are signing up for. If after you’ve spent the time reading the contract and you don’t think you’ll gain any benefit tell them no thanks and move on. Some extended warranties are better than others. Some are “generally fair” and other are “terribly bad”. You have to find the middle ground that you are comfortable with.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I am going to get a tee shirt printed "I AM THE WARRANTY"
I have always figured I could fix or get fixed anything that the warranty would fix cheaper. The big costs of purchasing that warranty is a bite and figured I would be ahead without. So far in all these years, I'm winning!!
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #13
pterrydactyl

It’s wonderful that you are so capable. Certainly you are more mechanical than I am. I wish I were more mechanical and physically able but since I’m not an extended warranty seemed the best option.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrydactyl View Post
It’s wonderful that you are so capable. Certainly you are more mechanical than I am. I wish I were more mechanical and physically able but since I’m not an extended warranty seemed the best option.
Exactly my point, for me no warrany needed nor wanted. But for many that are not able to do their own repairs, the warrany is the next best thing. It sure would relieve you of the research and dirty finger nails I've had over the years.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote