Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
oldbird

DVR fried

I got to a camp site and plugged in. While the surge guard was counting down I went inside. As soon as the power kicked on the DVR started smoking big time. My wife is real sensitive to smoke etc. so I just grabbed it and put it outside. I looked at the plug and it was 120v so I started checking every plug. The two in the peninsula were dead, the one by the bathroom sink and the outlet in the basement. In other words all the GFI were out and the breaker for them will not reset. I don't understand why, the DVR is on another circuit and a different circuit gets knocked out? Does anybody know how to figure out the GFI circuit being out of commission? Thanks!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
ilpuller

The GFCI (GFI) breaker has to be pushed down as far as it will go to reset and then pushed up to set on. The GFCI protected outlets should now be powered. As far as the original issue, there can be many causes. I will let a more knowledgeable person weigh in. John
ilpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
oldbird

Thanks John, I have pushed it down all the way but no go. The yellow push in button doesn't seem to do any thing either.

When the DVR was smoking it also surprised me that the breaker for that plug in didn't trip? When I pulled it out of there it was sparking and smoking. I should have just killed the power but my first concern was my wife and the smell it was making. As to why it failed, I'm going to guess it was our wonderful smooth roads we all drive on! lol
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
ilpuller

Sorry, that didn’t do the trick. In our DRV, I had to push down on the breaker handle so hard I thought it was going to break. The yellow button will do nothing until the breaker is reset. If you can’t get it to reset, the breaker is probably bad. Are all other electrical items working? Did you look inside the outlet where the DVR was plugged into to see if there might be a short in the box? Was there any other item plugged into the same outlet? If so, are they still working? Good luck. John
Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
golf_bears

Your statements, "the DVR started smoking big time" and "so I just grabbed it and put it outside". What started smoking and what did you grab and put outside???
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
ilpuller

He stated DVR for digital video recorder, not DRV. I had to read his original post a couple of times. I couldn’t image trying to pull the DRV plug from the pedestal with sparks and smoke. Yikes....John
Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
golf_bears

OK ilpuller, got it now. Thanks for the explanation.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
oldbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears View Post
Your statements, "the DVR started smoking big time" and "so I just grabbed it and put it outside". What started smoking and what did you grab and put outside???
Sorry about the confusion. The dish network receiver was smoking so I just grabbed it and pulled all the wires until they broke or became disconnected. HDMI, coaxial cords, etc, I know that sounds extreme but my wife 24 hours later is still smelling burnt electrical. I hope its not something in the walls? Breaker didn't do any good on the DVR circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpuller View Post
Sorry, that didn’t do the trick. In our DRV, I had to push down on the breaker handle so hard I thought it was going to break. The yellow button will do nothing until the breaker is reset. If you can’t get it to reset, the breaker is probably bad. Are all other electrical items working? Did you look inside the outlet where the DVR was plugged into to see if there might be a short in the box? Was there any other item plugged into the same outlet? If so, are they still working? Good luck. John
I just tried pushing down hard and it didn't work. Your probably right, the breaker is probably bad. All other electrical items are working OK except we can't get the micro to work. Also a little alarm clock to the left of the TV isn't working. The TV and DVR receiver were both plugged into the same plug and the TV is still working. I had a spare DVR and its working fine plugged into the same outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpuller View Post
He stated DVR for digital video recorder, not DRV. I had to read his original post a couple of times. I couldn’t image trying to pull the DRV plug from the pedestal with sparks and smoke. Yikes....John
LOL, outside like that I would have tripped the breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears View Post
OK ilpuller, got it now. Thanks for the explanation.
With everything normal now except the GFI's not working makes me wonder if I got hit with some surge and my surge guard didn't stop it?? Does anybody know if the GE micro-convention oven has a reset? Thanks
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Sorry to ask this, but did you check the CB for the micro in the breaker panel? Is it tripped also?
Sure is a strange occurrence.
Your surge guard counts down?
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
oldbird

Hi Joe, yes I did and the plug for the micro has power. Count down, count up, something like that. I just know there is a delay while its checking for any problems at the pedestal. I still believe that there wasn't a problem at the pedestal and all the beating this camper goes thru something shorted out in the receiver. Its a mystery but at least we are still moving. Anybody try out I80 thru Chicago lately? Its hard to believe this camper is still in one piece!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 09-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
fjr vfr

The surge guard checks what's coming into the trailer. If the problem is after it won't know. Since the GFI is not reading currant, it reads potential between the two sides, I might guess you have a bad neutral or ground connection after the surge protector. The circuit breakers might not trip as they are sensing currant, but the GFI might sense it and not reset. When the DVR burnt up just maybe it caused a loose connection were it connects to the neutral/ground bar.
I would unplug power and go in and tighten all your connections inside the power supply unit. It sounds like you could us a multi meter. I also have a little volt meter that plugs into any outlet.

Best of Luck with it.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

Hope you get it figured out.
I will go miles out of the way to avoid major metro areas. And, yes, I’ve been in the Chi/Gary too many times w/o the trailer—it’s rough just driving solo.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #13
oldbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
The surge guard checks what's coming into the trailer. If the problem is after it won't know. Since the GFI is not reading currant, it reads potential between the two sides, I might guess you have a bad neutral or ground connection after the surge protector. The circuit breakers might not trip as they are sensing currant, but the GFI might sense it and not reset. When the DVR burnt up just maybe it caused a loose connection were it connects to the neutral/ground bar.
I would unplug power and go in and tighten all your connections inside the power supply unit. It sounds like you could us a multi meter. I also have a little volt meter that plugs into any outlet.

Best of Luck with it.
I have checked every outlet for power and they all have power except the four GFI outlets. Day after tomorrow I'll be in one spot and I'll tighten all the connections. Thanks for the suggestions.
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 09-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
oldbird

Update for whatever its worth. Got some time so I took the fuse panel apart. All connections are tight. I removed the GFI breaker and the black and white wires had continuity to the nearest GFI plug. With the GFI breaker removed from the breaker box the on off switch operates normal. I'm guessing the GFI breaker is OK but also guessing I have something that goes to ground when power is applied tripping the GFI breaker. Also I have continuity on the breaker when the switch is closed and not when the switch is open. I don't know enough about electricity to figure this out. We can live without these four plugs until we get back to our winter home in AZ where there is a DRV dealer there. Thanks for any help!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
fjr vfr

These kind of problems are sometimes hard to trace to the root cause. They can drive you crazy. I once had a GFI in my house that would trip all the time. I disconnected each outlet one at a time and found one that would trip the GFI each time it was in the circuit.
Anyway good luck with it. Hope it turns out to be something cheap and simple.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #16
oldbird

One at a time, good idea! Thanks
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #17
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
One at a time, good idea! Thanks

And, GFCI receptacles go bad. If in doubt, just replace it.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
Cummins12V98

Personally I would replace the GFI.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
oldbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
And, GFCI receptacles go bad. If in doubt, just replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Personally I would replace the GFI.
I think I'll do that Ron, easier then disconnecting five receptacles to isolate the problem. Of course, if the new breaker doesn't do the trick then I might have to anyway. Thanks guys!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 09-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #20
oldbird

Thanks again guys, the new GFI breaker did the trick. All five receptacles are now working. I guess the reason why is going to remain a mystery. The Dish Network DVR goes up in smoke and I don't remember if I mentioned it but the micro/convection oven doesn't work either. Those two items are on a different circuit, not the GFI circuit. The DVR wasn't rented, I owned it so the insurance company will get a bill for that and the micro/convection oven.
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571