Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
dlott84040

Send a message via MSN to dlott84040
Slideout jacks

Did a search on Slideout jacks and didn't come up with a answer. Thinking about buying a set of slideout jacks for the dining area slideout and wondered if this were necessary? I feel leaving the slideout out for an extended period of time could be harmful for the rig. Is this true and does the jacks provide enough support for the sideout to remain extended indefinately? Although the kitchen slideout doesn't extend very far the weight is far greater that the other sides and there for does that slideout require support if you leave them out for long periods of time. Just trying to do what is wise but not throw a my money away for useless things. Thanks, Doug and Becky

dlott84040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I have a set of the "jack-in-a-box" stabilizers that I used on my former Sunnybrook 14' LR slide. It became too much of a hassle to put them in to mess with them for 2-week stays. I have heard others say that you should be careful that the trailer might settle and the stabilizers not, causing an upward leverage on the slide that might be damaging. If there was going to be damage caused by the weight of the slide, the mfgs would do something about it due to warranty issues--I haven't seen ANY slides with factory stabilizers, so if they don't think it is necessary to avoid warranty issues, then they probably aren't needed at all.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
MDTdriver

Slide out Jacks

I have the jacks, but my thoughts are, high price 5er have better frams for slide outs, for fulltime use. The low to mid price 5er's are not all for fulltime use. So slide outs are made for vacation use. So maybe they need some help for extend use.
This is how we use our 5er, mid price MFG say not for fulltime but we used the warranty and no problem for fixing items.
I do use my jacks, if we stay extened time and are on very solid ground.
This week I will start working in a camp ground and staying on gravel site.
I will use them and check every few weeks for movement. I have three pairs of scissor jacks plus landing jacks with JT stablizers bars on six jacks.
So you decide what works for you.

Larry & Kathy
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Motor31

I don't have them and don't plan on getting them. When slide outs were a new deal they were not as robust in construction as they are now. As has already been indicated subsidence of the rig may cause a change in slide out angle if the jacks don't sink at the same rate which would invite leaks.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
gr8adventure

I have the "Jack-n-Box Supports myself. I am a seasonal at a near by campground.

https://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q.../DSCF00521.jpg
gr8adventure is offline   Reply With Quote