Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
RonS

Surge Protector

What brand are you useing for power surge and low voltage that is hard wired into your system??

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I have an autoformer wired into my suite.

I have been very pleased with it..as some parks have very low voltage on hot days.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
rdunk

Ron, I use a Progressive Industries in-line surge protector, and do really like it. I did quite a bit of research before deciding on this one. For me, I wanted the in-line protector, so that any surge would be stopped on the outside, instead of getting to the inside of the RV.

They also have the hardwired surge Protector.

Hard-wired - http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...ID=172&CID=588

In-line - http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...ID=172&CID=245

RV Parts Center had the very best pricing I found for this unit.

These Progressive Industries surge protectors do so much more than just "surge protect". Read the specs.! Just one simple thing they do is show in the display the actual amp draw on each power leg. That info can come in pretty handy at times. The "joules" level of surge protect is also higher than most of the others I looked at.

Finally, I had a problem caused by my 5er wiring that overloaded and melted the surge protector female connection. The factory replaced the surge protector under warranty!!!!

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
anijet

I have installed the Progressive EMS HW 50C 240v 50 Amp Surge Protector Hardwired. The install was not difficult and it is a well made unit. It samples the power prior to connecting to the RV and won't connect if there is a problem. I really like the remote display and the information made available. We were in the middle of the Ike's path last Saturday and the Progressive shut down power at least three times.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Red Ram

I also have the same unit that Leo has. Well made and easy to install.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
RonS

Leo - When your power shut down during Ike was it because of high or low power? At times we have been in RV parks which have very low power output so we run as much as we can on LP. Maybe it would be wise to have both Autoformer and Surge protector???
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
rdunk

Ron quote: "Leo, When your power shut down during Ike was it because of high or low power"?
IMHO, having both might be unnecessary overkill. Low power has not been a problem for us. Of course, if the power ever does get too low, or too high, our Progressive Industries surge protector protects us. It shuts the power off for any input above 132 volts, and any input below 104 volts.

FWIW, I just remembered, we were in an RV park last year that just didn't have enough electrical service for a full park on a hot day. Our surge protector shut the power off several times, as the power would fluctuate too low.

A 50 amp autoformer is a pretty heavy device to carry around in the Suite, if you don't really need to. However, I do have an on-board 275 lb generator for "just in case" circumstances, so............ lol lol!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
Leo - When your power shut down during Ike was it because of high or low power?
I don't really know. It was late, we were in bed watching a little TV and I didn't get up to check the display.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
RonS

Thanks to all for the replies. I have experienced many low voltage RV parks especially on hot days and all are running A/C. So I have ordered a 50 amp Autoformer and the Kit to hard wire into the bay of my MS. If I get a spike to the power the autoformer is to take the hit, and three year fix or replace as needed. I may have to pay UPS shipping but that is cheap insurance. My last RV was a 30 amp set up, and now I have a 30 amp autoformer for sale if anyone is interested.