Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Suite Sweets

Tinted Windows

Preparing to order a DRV. No longer a choice of single or thermopane windows - thermo or nothing. Trying to get a lighter tint in the window, but so far, no success getting DRV to budge from 'standard'. Anybody had any success getting a choice of tint ?

Suite Sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I don't think the industry has evolved to the point of having a selection of tint ranges--have not heard of anyone that has asked for this, nor heard any mention prior to your question.
The only thing I can think of, is--can the windows be obtained without ANY tint? Then you could go to a tint shop--difficult, tho, and probably very expensive since most tint shops use a commercial template based on popular models. Very few do custom handcut vinyl.
I think you are doomed to settling for standard...
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Suite Sweets

Joe, thanks for response. Tinted glass is available in many different intensities (shades ?), and even colors. I've accused DRV as being lazy in their (current) unwillingness to order windows with a different shade. I'm hoping, in my post, to learn of instances when they have been responsive to others; and I could then say "You did it for XXXX, do it for me."
Lightening the dark tint DRV uses, might make the 'silks' they use in painting the windows less objectionable. The quality of the day/night shades DRV uses should negate the need for such a dark tint. And finally, while the dark tint might be a Godsend in south Texas or Florida in the summer, from inside looking out, it makes the day look perpetually overcast in north Canada, where the summer sun is not so intense.
I would not like no tint - been there. Prior we had a unit with light tinted windows, had the bedroom aftermarket tinted dark, and that worked very well indeed.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Well, as I said, have not heard of anyone having/getting lighter/darker tints than standard. Perhaps you can find out who make the windows (Hehr used to be supplier, not sure who is now) and talk to them.
And, having someone say "you did it for XXXX, do it for me" is exactly why they don't do a lot of real customization--it would result in a hopeless stream of requests for custom work that does not fit their production line model, and would slow them down to where they would see the sometimes shoddy work they are outputting...
Hope you find and answer--had not considered your Canadian aspect to light in the interior.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Cummins12V98

The "silks" I would assume change the amount of light coming in. We thought they were UGLY and did not want less light. We have MANY windows in our home because we wanted lots of light. Our DRV has lots of windows and have never felt the need for more light. I can tell you if you order the dark wood package you will regret it. We went to a fellow DRV owner that had the dark wood and it felt VERY dark!

OP, DRV will NOT change the tint so work with what you have!

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Suite Sweets

Cummins - I thought the silks would make the outside look sharp. After finally finding reviews of them, we deleted them from our 'want list'. Even less light. Can't see out if it rains.
And I agree with you about the dark wood. We've got it now - had not realized until purchase how depressingly dominating is the combination of dark wood, with dark sofa and dark chairs. Who knows? This experience may explain my quest for more sunlight.

Wingnut - you're right about it not fitting their production model. I think when business is slow, manufacturers look for ways to serve the customers idiosyncrasies. When business is booming, mfg's can choose the easy business - and that isn't doing semi-custom alterations. As I'm told, the backlog at DRV has just jumped from 12 weeks to something like 17. That's when they take the easy money and run.

I'll leave the post out there and see what anyone else has to say. But I think you're both right. Learn to live with it.