Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
easykayak

Carrying a motorcyle on back

Hi fellow campers, new to the 5th wheel realm and double towing. We own a motorcycle dresser that weighs approximately 900 lbs and really desire to put it behind our 5th wheel and take with us. Done a lot of searching from units costing over 3 grand to a homemade carrier. We have a Coachmen Catalina 25 ft and already know we need to beef the rear bumper area to tow or carry. Money is an object. We found a used swivel wheel carrier about 5 months ago for $700 but still weren't sure which way we were going to camp at the time. Now wished I had bought it. What advice can you give me or do you know where I can find a used carrier or how to mount a class 3 hitch to pull my motorcyle trailer. Since a small camper, probably wouldn't handle the weight to carry on back. I am also concerned not being able to keep an eye on a trailer. Happy trails. 8)

easykayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Gemstone

easykayak.....I suspect that as you have posted your question to a specific forum group, who own another brand of 5th wheel, you are not going to get any first hand information that will be of much value.
Many folks use a swivel wheel trailer to haul bikes or 4 wheel vehicles, but their rigs are not going to be the same as yours....your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer to inquire whether they would sanction such an installation on your rig.

Good Luck
Gemstone

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
easykayak

Thanks gemstone, and I have contacted coachmen and still waiting for a reply. Hoping someone would have had some general information, other than what I already had. But you're right, the mfg will be my best bet if they reply.
easykayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
morscuba

Gemstone gave you good advice. I would also contact the maker of swivel wheel (good guys) .. They will tell you what kind of frame their unit works well on,,I don't think they will badmouth any frame they just won't say anything one way or the other..I'm sure you have considered pulling a MC trailer behind the rig. I did for two years before I got the ramp loaded on the bed of the Freightliner. I never had a problem with my AlumaTrailer with the law or otherwise,(although I was told more than enough I would). and the Aluma towed great!!!. Even with the great frame DRV has for their units I would never use a frame loader on the 5th..My belief would be that it will overload the rear axel.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
BobW

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote