Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
jdwilson3

GE Microwave/Convection

OK, this one is easy. Would someone with a GE Spacemaker Microwave/Convection combo unit please tell me if there is an interior light that comes on when cooking? I say no, DW says there was and it is burnt out. I can't find one, and nothing is mentioned in the owners manual.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
GPR

Location: Fulltimer Based in Emery, SD ( formerly Indianapolis, IN )
YES there is ..... There is NO mention of it in the manual because it is a SERVICE Call replaceable item....... We had it done once under warrenty......watched the guy & could now do it our self......NOT easy to get to though...... How silly that they would make this so hard to replace.
When I get time I will look for the schematic I have that shows how to get to it
Jennifer

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #2150
2005 Freightliner M2/Mercedes 900

Trail Saver Air Ride Hitch
Steer Safe
LEVEL-AIR inflatable leveling bags
PressurePro Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Gary & Jennifer Roessler
Full Timers Since 05.05.05
SKP LM# 86980
Ajo Elks Member
Dway #3222
GPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
rotaxman

Light

Hey Top

How are ya today. I just went out and looked at our 06 36TK3 and I hate to say it but your DW is correct. Ours has a light when you open the door and then when you start cooking it is on. She's right . I hate when that happens. Talk to ya later

Have a nice evening

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
jdwilson3

microwave

OH CRUD. I guess the cat's out of the bag now...everyone knows I DON'T COOK!!!

Thanks everyone, guess I'll call GE tomorrow and schedule a service call to replace a dumb light bulb....and tell Peggy she was right...Darn.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
rdunk

To get this bulb replaced, the service tech probably will ask you to remove the wood panel that is just above the microwave, for that is the point of access to the bulb area. At least our tech. did ask us to, and also another that I know of.

Removing the panel is not a big deal. The two wooden plug-buttons have to be removed first, and then there probably will be some type of putty in the screw holes that is there to hold the wood button in the hole. Remove the putty to clear the access to the screws, for removal of the wood panel.

After the tech is through, then you will also have to re-install the wood panel.

Yes it is a pretty poor disign for access maintenance, as well as a poor bulb selection for the interior oven light. This bulb seems to last only about one year. I had to replace ours the first time about this time last year, and it was nearly one year old. Now, it is out again!

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
suitediver

Gee Robert,

Has Carlene been cooking that much? I say you need to take her out more often then that bulb won't be burning out so often. LOL

Bobbie
suitediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
jdwilson3

microwave

Thanks for the tip, but I already had the panel off, looking for a place to hide my guns in case we travel to Canada or Mexico (never happen!!)

Are the bulbs available at Lowes or Home Depot? Once I see the service guy get to the bulb...never again.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
rverdlm

The bulb is only available from GE. The first time they replaced it under warranty. Then the oven quit working and we made another service call to GE and the oven is no longer under warranty. It turned out that there is an over temp, not resettable breaker in the same area as the bulb. When he looked at it he found that there is a recall for a new heat shield at the bulb. He installed the new heat shield, the bulb, and the heat breaker all under the recall warranty. I would recommend having the fan on when using the oven in the heat mode as this will prevent most of these problems.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
hitchup

We had ours replaced last summer. It's about a $5 item. GE's website shows all the replacement parts. Since ours was under warranty, I scheduled the service call online. They called to verify which bulb & within a few days, someone came out to replace it. FYI: It's a halogen bulb.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
rdunk

Quote: "Has Carlene been cooking that much? I say you need to take her out more often then that bulb won't be burning out so often. LOL "
.................................................. ...................
Bobbie, you know Carlene better than that! When she is asked what she is making for dinner, her reply would be "reservations"! And now that you mention it, no more use than our oven actually gets, that makes the bulb/placement a really poor design.

Maybe if we used the oven more, the bulb might last longer?????

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
Hobo

DW uses our GE combo all the time, in fact I can't remember the last time she used the gas oven. In 4 years of full time living our MS we have had no problems with the lights or any part of the GE Microwave/Convection unit. Still nice to know what I have to do to get at the bulb for future reference.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
bstark

Our Avantium bulb is dead and if I read you folks correctly I don't even have to lower the unit to gain access to the bulb? That'd sure be great to hear.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
jdwilson3

Update

OK, called GE, they said that they would call local authorized service tech. Tech calls, one week for appointment. Week later, shows up, writes down the serial number and model number and leaves. They have to order the bulb from GE, wait about 10 days for the bulb, then call me to schedule appointment!

Holy Crud, what an operation
Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
SuiteWheels

All that just to replace a light bulb??? Geeze, I hope ours doesn't burn out for a very long time!
SuiteWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
Hobo

Does anyone that has had the bulb replaced have the GE part # from their invoice?
Looks like a 5 watt Halogen bulb to me.

Rick
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
hitchup

http://www.geappliances.com/

Go to GE website, hit "parts & accessories" on the left column. Hit "Repair part", then plug in your "category", enter "model #" & see what comes up.

That's how I found pricing etc. before. Then realized I could get a free service call since it was still under warranty. Set that up online, too.

Vickie
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:04 AM   #17
WildJohn

Here is what they told me.

Thanks for contacting GE. The halogen bulb for your microwave,
jvm1490bh01, is available. The part number is WB08X10050. If you would
like pricing information or to order, please contact our Parts Dept at 800
626 2002. They will be glad to assist you.

John
gearmaster
backup cams
3KW Honda
6V battery bank w/inverters
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
GE BULB

Hi
This bulb can be bought at most Walmarts Stores when in stock. In fact if you can find the 2pack it is cheaper, about $7.50 vrs. $5 for 1 bulb. They can also be purchased at Lowes but they are more expensive then Walmart. When we had our 2004 MS we bought a 3pack at Walmart. Now we have a 2005MS and have found only a 2pak. Also the light bulb for the stove top is the same light as the light inside. The reason we know this is I had one left from the MS 04 from when we had the 3pak and were replacing the stove top light and used it in our MS05 inside the ConvectionMicro when we saw it was the same bulb.

Janice
nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
jdwilson3

GE

OK, original post on March 4. Today is April 5. Local repair place will be here tomorrow to replace the bulb! You do the math! The local guys said they ordered a wrong part number, then, I assume, they did nothing when the order was rejected. I called them last Monday, they said they would call Tuesday. I called them Tuesday, they will call Wednesday. I called them Wednesday, they will call Thursday. Then I skipped Thursday and called Friday. They said they would look into it, which they finally did and last Monday (April 2) they called and said they ordered the right part number and would have it in 3-5 days, and this morning they called and said they will be here tomorrow!

Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow when the guy can't figure out how to replace the bulb!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
shergry

Ok, thank goodness it has not burned out yet, DH looked at the cover board above the unit and says "EASY." So we will see some day far off I hope. I only hope for jdwilson3 is that they can find your place in order to ask if you have the manual/schematics to put the bulb in.
Just kiddin, I hope you get one soon, I can't barely see inside the dang unit and without a light I would feel blind.

MS 36SB3 2007 #3565
shergry is offline   Reply With Quote