Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
pmkitchen

Brake Pad Replacement

I am getting ready to replace the brake pads on my coach. I have the following NAPA part number for the pads... SS7136M. I would like to confrim that number as valid and ask if there are any issues I need to be aware of before getting started. Thanks and travel safely!

pmkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
RonS

How many miles do you think you have pulled your DRV? Did you check the pads and do you really need to replace? Reason I'm asking is that I have about 25K on my 06 and have never checked the brakes or never lube bearings. THANKS.........Ron

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
RGordon

I would make sure your new pads are ceramic material.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
5thwheeler

Kodiak Brakes

Just a thought. If the pads are ceramic, they should be covered under warranty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cer_lim_warr_143.pdf (178.7 KB, 19 views)
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Motor31

I have an 05 unit and have towed it more than 45k miles accross the country several times. The pads are fine. Unless you have significant wear there is no time limit or expiration date on them.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Cheif 2

I have a 2007 with approximately 18,000 miles of towing and just the other day traveling through BC, Canada developed a loud squeek in my trailer brakes. What I found was that the left front axle outer brake pad was missing and the caliper had dug into the rotor. In addition the caliper is leaking brake fluid. The inner pad was like new. I am currently parked in Eureka, Mt waiting on the parts to arrive to fix the brakes. I have also ordered 3 additional calipers and will be changing out all four. I found that the left rear caliper is now starting to seep brake fluid. I dealt directly with Kodiak Brake in Dallas. They were very helpful and have provided the rotor and caliper for the damaged wheel at no charge.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
pmkitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheif 2
I have a 2007 with approximately 18,000 miles of towing and just the other day traveling through BC, Canada developed a loud squeek in my trailer brakes. What I found was that the left front axle outer brake pad was missing and the caliper had dug into the rotor. In addition the caliper is leaking brake fluid. The inner pad was like new. I am currently parked in Eureka, Mt waiting on the parts to arrive to fix the brakes. I have also ordered 3 additional calipers and will be changing out all four. I found that the left rear caliper is now starting to seep brake fluid. I dealt directly with Kodiak Brake in Dallas. They were very helpful and have provided the rotor and caliper for the damaged wheel at no charge.
WOW! I wonder how the pad came out? When I looked at mine I thought they captured the pad pretty well. I have been checking my brakes on a regular basis and have not noticed any leaks... yet. Hope your parts arrive quickly and you get back on the road soon.
pmkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
golf_bears

Cheif 2,

Sounds like you have your hands full with the brake issue. Do you need some help? We’re now in Kalispell, MT about 70 miles South of you and are moving out tomorrow. Not sure where we are heading next but could get up your way. If you need some help I could use the “fix up” experience. Will need to do my brakes at some time in the future and would be nice to have seen it done. We’re just bouncing around and only plan we have is to get to Yellowstone NP after Labor Day. Until then no specific plans.

Let me know, OK.

Send me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Cheif 2

Golf Bears,
Thanks for the offer, but got it all fixed up yesterday. I also found another outer brake pad with the retainer sprimg missing. It wouldn't have been long before that one also fell out and destroyed a rotor. The brakes really are not difficult to do. We are moving today and going to Kalispell. Freinds we are traveling with need service work on their vehicles. Can you advise a good campground? We have been staying in Blue Mountains RV on 93. They are great people and it is a nice simple park. Look forward to meeting you on the road. We head to Yellowstone on Monday through Sept. 6.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
golf_bears

Cheif 2,

Happy to hear you're rolling again with new brakes. Now I know who to call when I need to replace mine. LOL!

We are leaving Kalispell today and moving over to the West Glacier area.

Here in Kalispell, we stayed at the Rocky Mountain Hi RV Park. Nice place and large sites in their newer section. Their phone number is 406-755-9573.

Take care, see you on the road someplace!!!

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote