Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
AMG63

Adding Solar to my 2008 36 TKSB3

Hi Gang, just found this forum ran some searches to see if anybody had installed Solar after delivery of their unit and see there have been a few. I would like to know if that 10 gauge wire hidden (somewhere on the roof) can safely support 2 or 3 80watt panels ? maybe if somebody knew the actual location of the wire up there it would save me the effort of running a new one down to the batteries.

My last trailer had no generator built in but had a 120 watt solar panel which was a LOT quieter on those extended long range dry camp excursions which I still seem to be focusing on with my new 5er. Looks like I should have put the solar on the roof at the onset... doh!

Any help with location of my wires and brand of panels is appreciated!

Cheers

My Unit:
Xantrax power inverter
Onan 5500 Gold propane Gen set.
4 X 6 Volt batteries
Trail Air under and up front
17.5 tires with HD axels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1020327_136.jpg (48.7 KB, 167 views)

AMG63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Gemstone

For general solar questions...look on the escapees forum:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

Regards
Gemstone

Old 07-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
morscuba

I've got 2 85 watt and 2 100 watt panels. John Palmer installed the panels for me and said that the wire that DRV supplies will not support the wattage I am using..As far as I know and remember the wire is hidden next to the vent cap that has a melted mark on the top. When they (I helped) ran the wire we went through the utility closet into the basement..
http://www.palmerenergysystems.com/
If you have any questions John is a great guy and can hook you up with anything you might need.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
5thwheeler

Solar Panel Install

Check out
http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...ht=solar+panel

It's a post by Rodeworthy
It's about 4 or 5 down on the page
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
AMG63

Information overload from this guys site content! I think my answers are in here... just need to take a few breaks to digest the points. :shock:

Our DRV units have a 10 gauge wire pre-run ?? looks like that might not even be enough for anything to be on the roof...

:idea: For those who replaced the feed were you able to simply attach the new to the old and "feed it down" by chance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone
For general solar questions...look on the escapees forum:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

Regards
Gemstone
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
morscuba

The 10 gauge is to light for what you want to do. I wouldnt try to feed it through with the old wire. As I said before the easiest way is to go through the roof to the utility room where you would probably want to put your solar controller then though the floor to the basement to the inverter...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
AMG63

Thanks Morscuba, Our Xantrex unit is the RS3000 correct?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
morscuba

No prob.. And yes it is the RS3000 or was when I picked mine up.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Dick D

I found a vent pipe that went straight to the basement. I then drilled a hole on the roof beside the vent pipe and fished the wire down beside it.
I then re caulked around the vent pipe and that made a nice clean, neat job. I didn't have to drill too big of a hole as there was already some space around the vent pipe to start with.

On my rig, several of the vent pipe's went directly to the tanks. They were inside the wall and out of sight.
And our mini Greyhound, Shalamar
Dick D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
AMG63

Morscuba, after speaking with three different people including John from Palmer Energy Systems (Super knowledgeable and friendly guy by the way) I can't find out why the 10 gauge feed wire would result in anything more than a 3~5% loss over the welding wire that you say your using. What I got from Schneider electric Solar systems (sister company to Xantrex) the 10 gauge will support 30 Amps of DC voltage @ 95% efficiency vs. 6 gauge at 98% the 4 gauge was not on Schneider's list but I cannot imagine anything more than the last 2 % that's missing from the numbers if my math is right?

If this is reference then the problem of say a cloudy day could amount to 10 to 20 times (50%+) the issue of that of wire gauge so I was wondering if I am missing another reason that I should not use the 10 gauge wire other then this loss?

Thanks for your time and knowledge with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morscuba
The 10 gauge is to light for what you want to do. I wouldnt try to feed it through with the old wire. As I said before the easiest way is to go through the roof to the utility room where you would probably want to put your solar controller then though the floor to the basement to the inverter...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
morscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG63
Morscuba, after speaking with three different people including John from Palmer Energy Systems (Super knowledgeable and friendly guy by the way) I can't find out why the 10 gauge feed wire would result in anything more than a 3~5% loss over the welding wire that you say your using. What I got from Schneider electric Solar systems (sister company to Xantrex) the 10 gauge will support 30 Amps of DC voltage @ 95% efficiency vs. 6 gauge at 98% the 4 gauge was not on Schneider's list but I cannot imagine anything more than the last 2 % that's missing from the numbers if my math is right?

If this is reference then the problem of say a cloudy day could amount to 10 to 20 times (50%+) the issue of that of wire gauge so I was wondering if I am missing another reason that I should not use the 10 gauge wire other then this loss?

Thanks for your time and knowledge with this!

Wish I could give a great fantastic answer, but I can't. I am gong on the information that John and several other folks with knowledge on solar re: the 10 gauge being to light. A great one to ask (on this site) is Rodeworthy he's probably up on this as much as anyone..Wish I could be more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morscuba