Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
GlennWest

What manufacturer for dual pane windows

Considering changing my windows. There is enough cold air coming in slide out window that I have to bundle up. Gets hot enough now that it's uncomfortable. Read a lot about windows "fogging". Is there a good dual pane window? Know it will be expensive, change out 1 or 2 at a time.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
porkchop

Hehr is the only one I am aware of that makes them for RV's. Can yours be taken out and resealed? Some have had good luck with that. Or are they leaking at the inside part?

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
GlennWest

Think it is just that much cold or heat coming thru glass. That's disappointing that herh is only one. Read so much problems with them.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
GlennWest

Found some Atwood windows on line. Is $480.00 about right for the 36x34 slide out window? That what they want
Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

Glenn,
That might depend on the warranty--is it any better than Hehr? What is the track record on the Atwood windows--any better?
Not sure the seals on double pane windows can stand up to constant banging, bumping around, for years without problems.

We had all our cloudy Hehrs replaced and after a year all are still clear--the originals were cloudy after 2 years when we bought the trailer but we just thought they needed cleaning. Put up with the fog for 2 more years, then replaced them last year.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
BILL-L

I have some windows that I can't use. They are yours for the cost of shipping. Bill L
Old 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
rogandveda

Bill can you tell me what the size of the windows are?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
RodeWorthy

Hehr Windows

Glenn,
Have you even talked to Hehr to see what can be done for your situation? There is no question there has been a problem with thermal pane windows but Hehr stood by their product for many far beyond the warranty period. That program got out of hand with people ordering windows who didn't even need them. Others received multiple shipments of windows. The end result was that Hehr stopped the program of automatically shipping out windows just for asking. But they are responsive to legitimate requests.

Like Wingnut I am not sure it is possible to have thermally sealed windows in an RV - especially for those of us who are long distance travellers. But I like having them and am trying again.

I worked with Hehr last winter and arranged to pick up several replacement panes at the Hehr factory in Plymouth, IN. There was a reasonable cost to this. The total cost for replacement windows was far below the quoted price to repair even one window.

I think you should give Hehr a call before you write them off as being an unresponsive vendor. I worked with Donna Daren, QC Manager / Warranty and she was great. When I arrived at the factory everyone treated us well and helped me load the large heavy crate into the trailer for transport.

I hope you can get a satisfactory resolution to your situation but you have to do your part and let Hehr know what the problem is. It is not fair to bad mouth them before you have even tried to deal with them.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

I think RodeWorthy is correct--contact Hehr and explain your situation. Perhaps you could also arrange a pickup at their plant--they aren't too hard to put in.
Joe
Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Charlie and Sue

dual pane windows

I agree Hehr has always been good about replacing windows. I have replaced all but the end slideout windows at least once and some twice. Now I have five of the windows clouded again. I no longer do alot of towing and will leave the 5er here in New York for the winter as we have bought a 40' destination trailer in Fl.. I'm wondering if we would be better off to start replacing these with single pane windows, realizing the difference in cooling during the summer of course. I have dual pane windows on my Fl. unit, don't know the manufacturer of them , but will see how they last. Just tired of replacing them, knowing they will go bad again.
Charlie and Sue
Charlie and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #11
GlennWest

Was not my intention to bad mouth them. Just stating a fact. Every rv forum I go to is complaining about Hehr thermal pane windows. I have not tried theirs so I can't really bad mouth them. I have standard windows.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
terry and jo

Glenn,

I can certainly understand your situation. However, as I always try to advise "new" members of forums that I frequent to always be mindful that forums attract those people who are looking for a solution to a problem. Thus, it can almost always appear that "such-and-such" is a piece of crud, based on those negative comments. By the way, I know you aren't a new member.

Now, not to start anything here, but look just at 5th Wheel Forums and SOITC. Some on 5th Wheel Forums like to refer to the "cheerleaders" over on SOITC. However, to put things into perspective specifically for DRV related sites, keep in mind that there have been more than 5000 to 5500 units built, but how many of those 5000+ owners are on the forums with complaints?

On the other hand, there may be almost as many on the forums praising the service they received, especially from the factories of both DRV and of the builders of the various components.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
BlueSkyRanch

I have owned 5 towables, 3 motor homes and one DRV Mobile Suites. Over and over again I hear RV manufactures, owners and sales people say, "You have to expect a few problems." I for one, do not subscribe to that assumption. Made in America needs to also mean of the highest quality.

Hehr Windows - I have had 60% of my windows fail in the first year. I have been communicating with DRV and recently with Hehr. I asked, Why are we seeing such a high rate of failure? What is Hehr doing to reduce defects? and what can we expect in the future. I am happy to report that I received a lengthy email from the General Manager of the Hehr Indiana Plant. The following is part of that email outlining what Hehr is doing to reduce defects. I am pleased with their response.

The following steps have been implemented in the manufacturing process at Plymouth:

1 - Installed a purification water system with reverse osmosis.

2 - Rebuilt the glass wash machine (November 2010).

3 - Switched to HB Fuller Urethane as a secondary seal recommended by the Superspacer supplier (September 2010).

4 - Installed a pinch roller in April 2011 to be certain of Superspacer’s adhesion to glass.

5 - Use a Silicone pad to form a smooth transition on each corner and the splice of the secondary Urethane seal.

We are in the process to add a heating element to the drying fan to make sure that the glass is completely dry before its use. Since 85% of the failures have been the vent glass, then every vent will be submerged in water to make sure of the seal. This motion is effective June 8, 2011.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
wingnut60
Site Team

Hehr windows

Steve,
This is excellent information, sure hope they are on the right track.
But the complaints have been ongoing for a long time prior to the processes they are installing--it sure took them a long time to respond to a very common problem.
Will be waiting to see how many have problems that are installed after end of 2010.
Joe