Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
CALinSC

Our Version

What is a “full timer”? If you live in an RV but never move it does it make you a “full timer”, or just someone that lives in a smallish dwelling that just happens to be an RV? Are you a “full timer” if you travel to a stationary RV for the winter months and then to another stationary RV for the summer months? Can you have a stick home and be a “full timer? Maybe that’s a limited “full timer”.

I point this out because it’s always a bit confusing when someone says they are a “full timer” without describing what that means to them.

During the years we called ourselves “full timers” our RV trailer was our only home. We were constantly moving around the country, probably averaging 35-50 RV park/campground parking places per year. Our only means of transportation was our big dully truck. (My little one person fishing boat does not count). We were retired and traveling on our fixed retirement income. (Without an agenda).

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=14112
Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Bikersarge

I would say a full timer is someone who moves often around the us and travels permanently...that would be the best type IMO.

2017 GMC Sierra/ Duramax. 2013 FR 32SRV
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
CALinSC

Water

This thread has a lot of hits with almost no comments. I' going to use this thread to take a peak at some of the water we've seen during our full time travels.

I'll start in Maine, my home state.

Crossing the Penobscot River, Bucksport, ME.

1 US1 Wells to Trenton, ME (49).jpg

The picture has a pretty good clue as to why Maine is called the Pine Tree state.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
Notanlines

Many RV'ers refer to themselves as 'full timers' but are not necessarily to the remainder of the community. Although we live in ours full time we aren't full timers in that we still have our home in Germantown. We 'live' in Florida from December to the first of May. We then travel for a period of time, stay stationary in Wisconsin for two months, and then travel some until December again.
In my mind, full timers don't still own their brick and stick. Everyone will have their own idea of 'full timing.'
Along the same lines, many people believe they can buy the little 'state sticker' for their travel map if they've driven through the state. We always believed it was necessary to actually spend the night to buy the sticker. Yes, we have filled the map (our dachshund had been in 49 states AND all provinces except Nunavut) and then some. But we still have not travelled to Nunavut and have no immediate plans.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
CALinSC

Water #2

The water shown behind our rig is part of a large chain of lakes. They provide some of the best freshwater fishing in AL.

Being close to the Talladaga NASCAR race track causes this RV park (At Cropwell, AL) to be full anytime there is a racing weekend at Talladaga.

2 Cropwell, AL .jpg
Old 08-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #6
CALinSC

Massena, NY

When traveling north along the St. Lawrence River on NY highway 37, we found Coles Creek, SP. The sites there were large and many bordered the water. We had a nice large one.

Whenever we park close to water I test for fish. Sure enough, while jigging around the rocky banks with a small black crappie jig I found lots of small ones. I’m sure the river holds monsters of numerous kinds.

3 NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 3.JPG 3a NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 16.JPG

3b NY Coles Creek SP (4).jpg 3c NY Coles Creek SP (6).jpg
Old 05-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #7
Edd505

We travel from place to place 8-10,000 miles a year, about 9 months, in the RV but we have a home in NM. Being in the RV about 9 out of 12 months I call us 3/4 timers.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #8
CALinSC

St. Petersburg, FL

Sun set over the Gulf of Mexico from St. Petersburg Beach, FL.

17 St Pete Beach .jpg 17a St Pete Beach .jpg
Old 06-18-2022, 10:57 PM   #9
CALinSC

Low tide, Wells Beach, ME

ME-NH 2022 1 (103).jpg ME-NH 2022 1 (105).jpg
Old 08-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #10
CALinSC

Burlington, VT

These are pictures of Lake Champlain from overlook at Battery Park and a downtown parking lot.

18 Burlington, VT .jpg 18a Burlington, VT (10).jpg
Old 11-06-2022, 06:47 AM   #11
CALinSC

Naval Station, Mayport, FL

The NS RV Park is located out near the ocean where the St John’s River dumps into the Atlantic Ocean. But, this is not about Pelican Roost, it’s about the river and ocean.

As the river passes the RV Park, both sides are protected by stone jetties. They provide some of the best saltwater fishing in the area. You can see dolphins feeding as the tides change and occasionally a manta ray will pass by. The bottom is loaded with croakers, spot and huge red fish. The delicious black sea bass hide in the rocks where trout hunt them.

In the park you can set in a lounge chair and watch all the ocean going traffic enter the Jacksonville port areas. All of the piers at the NS basin can be observed from the same lounging areas.

19 MayportFL1.JPG 19a NS Mayport .JPG

19b MayportFL4.jpg 19c NS Mayport .JPG