Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Rockyhud

Getting new landing gear - maybe

Today I got on the Lippert website and used their Chat feature to inquire about motorcycle fork oil use in their hydraulic systems, and particularly if this would have any beneficial effect toward resolving the issue with our RV's front landing gear slowly dropping while the RV is in tow and moving. The tech, named Matthew, said it wouldn't help with that problem. I went on to tell him about advice to run the landing gear manually up and down with no weight on them and on the final retract to hold the UP button a little longer to pressurize the ram to hold it in place. He said this likely causes the internal seal lip(s) to flip back in the "right spot" and hold the ram up OK, until the next time they're run up and down and the seal flips "wrong" again.

I then asked, since this is happening while the RV is in motion (in tow) if this was a safety concern to Lippert and if there was any recall for replacing these due to being a safety concern. He then checked with others there then came back and asked where I lived - I told him outside Colorado Springs. He then said the only offer he could make for replacement would be if I were to bring the unit to their Goshen, IN service facility and they would cover free parts and labor only. Now he's really got my attention. I said that might be possible later on, like close to summer, and asked how long this might take to complete.

He wasn't sure about how long the repairs would take then asks for information - data from RV and my address and phone. I gladly provide all this and he goes about entering this into a service request form for me. A little while later he comes back with a case number and says their service dept will be in touch. At that point I'm feeling like this might actually turn into a good thing. I thank him profusely and end the Chat session. After the session closes I provided the requested Chat survey ratings, and gave Matthew high marks for knowledge and professional conduct and the great help. Now, I'll await their service dept contact.

While I didn't bring it up during this Chat, I will when the service dept calls or emails, and this is whether they would consider providing the replacement rams to me at no cost so I can either install them myself or maybe have a local RV dealer to that, with me paying for any labor cost involved. That would save me a LOT of time and money traveling to their facilities.

If this actually happens this may be a good indicator for others with the same issue to get their landing gear and/or stabilizer jacks replaced too. I will definitely add to this as it develops. Stay tuned.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote