Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
tx trio

DRV carpet replacement with washable product

We recently purchased a Mobile Suite 2015 38RSSA. We want to replace the carpet with a flooring that we can wipe up. The tile that is currently in part of the floor plan would be fine if I knew where to get enough to do the carpeted area.

I would like suggestions for dealers or individuals who would install flooring. We can remove the current carpet, etc.

Also, would like to hear what flooring products worked best?

Should we have flooring for slides done?

We are in Texas but will drive for a good job. Thank you for you help.

tx trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Dapperdan

I would strongly suggest you talk to or contact Slade at Rolling Retreats in Elk City OK, if anybody can help you out Slade can. He does great work from what I've read on these forums. I'm sure others will chime in as to his abilities. ALL he works on are DRVs.

We met him and his wife Allica this spring, we were VERY impressed with her knowledge of DRVs and Slade's work in the shop.

Dan

Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
tx trio

Thank you for your suggestion. I have talked to Slade about carpet replacement and he doesn't have the time. He stated they would like to expand so they could do work like this. I have contacted Kansas Rv Center and an individual near Dallas TX.

When not using the unit, it will be stored in Houston under cover but not in temperture controlled.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Dapperdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx trio View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. I have talked to Slade about carpet replacement and he doesn't have the time. He stated they would like to expand so they could do work like this. I have contacted Kansas Rv Center and an individual near Dallas TX.

When not using the unit, it will be stored in Houston under cover but not in temperture controlled.
Copy that, I know when we were at RR Slade was busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest! Slade mentioned "trying" to hire more help but reluctant to do so as he wasn't too confident in hiring help that would meet his standards of quality repair. Same "problem" we discussed at Twin lakes RV Repair in La Grange IN with Jay, they have more work than they can handle. I guess that's pretty good problem to have though.

Dan
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
missourijan

We tore out the carpet in the LR and BR and replaced with 16" vinyl tiles that we bought at Home Depot. We have a 2012 and replaced the carpet in 2015, so we couldn't find the original tiles. We bought complimentary tiles and they look great. Can't post the pic here. It's pretty easy to do yourself. Well, it's hard on the knees. We have never laid any tile before. I posted a pic on the FB Drv page of our bedroom tiles.
There was a post a few months ago that was on the Facebook Drv page (they post as Astrogypsies, I think). They found matching tiles at Bontragers Surplus in Elkhart.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
golf_bears

A few years ago we had all our flooring replaced in our 2008 MS. We were in Mercedes, TX and the folks at "All About Floors" came to our site and did the work in one day. Did an excellent job.

Before doing the work they came to our site with tons of carpet and flooring samples. I went golfing and let my wife decide what type and colors to put in.

You can call them at 956-463-2484.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
tx trio

More info please

Golf Bears,

I think I have read about this group but I could not get a contact - thank you. Did you only have them install new carpet or did you do other types of flooring? Did they do the flooring in the slides?

Thank you for your help. This would work well since we have rv lots at Port Isabel and go to the valley often. I will check them out tomorrow.

Georgia
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
golf_bears

tx trio, they installed new carpeting and new vinyl flooring. The vinyl flooring was, I believe, 12'x12' or so squares. All previous carpeting was replaced with new carpeting including the dinette slide. I believe they will do what ever you want, wherever you want.

The business owner's name is Lee, great guy to work with. Has a lot of patience when you go through the selection process.

Good luck with the replacement and hope all goes as well as our replacement did.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
tx trio

I just spoke with Lee at All About Floors on the phone. He says he has been in business 30 years and they do 1 or 2 rv units a week during the winter and usually takes a day or so. He likes the vinyl tile brand Tarkett. He said he would need to look at the slides to confirm they would do them. Has anyone with a DRV had Lee do their slides?

I also emailed Debra Collins at DRV. She is a great contact person for being prompt and helpful. She gave me information on the tile currently in the unit and indicated they had a few. From the information she shared, it appears to be Shaw tile.

Since we no longer full-time, our unit will be in storage in Houston some of the time. The storage is covered but not temperature controlled. Must consider this when determining type of flooring. Any suggestions regarding products to avoid?
Old 09-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
kingskids

Location: Colorado summers, but where the fish are biting the rest of the time!
Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate RV (in LaGrange, IN) knows how to do the flush floor slides. We were going to have him do ours until we decided that we need to sell the 43' Denver rig and get out of RV'ing because of hubby's macula degeneration. Need good eyesight to drive this big truck! But Paul is a total PERFECTIONIST and if I had wanted to go ahead with the carpet, I know it would have been done RIGHT! Can't say enough good things about his workmanship! He is also nicknamed the "slide miester" in case you need a slide (or a camber issue) fixed right!
Sharon
kingskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
tx trio

Anyone have Tarkett flooring

Floor installer recommends Tarkett flooring but the reviews are not good. Has anyone used this brand, if so, what do you think of it?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
Cummins12V98

Go with a Quality "LVT".
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
tx trio

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been comparing brands, options for installing, etc.
Do you have this flooring? If so what brand, did you install or hire it, did you put it in the slide areas, did you leave the DRV tile in and install this over it?

Off this topic but I have been reading about a smoother ride and risers. We just purchased similar truck and DVR as you. How is your ride? If you are satisfied with the ride, what suggestions for reducing the chucking and bouncing could you share with us.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
Cummins12V98

We have the Elite LTV flooring in our DRV. Still have carpet but the LTV is a good product.

Smoother ride IMHO is MORryde IS on RV and 2" risers added if your TV is a 17 or newer Ford and 13 or newer RAM or GM.

I have a 15 RAM with factory rear air ride and we are VERY happy with this option as it gives a better ride loaded or unloaded. Adding air bags to any rig will improve the ride as long as you don't fun too much air pressure.

First thing I would not have is a Curt hitch because they are known for causing chucking since their head pivot os several inches below the kingpin connection.

Personally I like the TrailAir air bag pin box with the B&W puck system hitch. My rV rides great. There are some road conditions no system can overcome!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #15
tx trio

Cummins - Thank you for your reply. Maybe there is hope for a better ride than the setup from the dealer! We just purchased a 2015 38Rssa DRV and a 2017 RAM 3500 crew cab dually Aisin long bed 4:10's rear air ride suspension. The dealer knew before we purchased the DRV what we would be pulling it with and never mentioned the need for risers. Then, the dealer sold us a Curt 24 hitch. Thinking this dealer knew rvs and be reliable/knowledgable, off we went on our bouncing and chucking 1000 mile trip home. So now we are trying to put together a usable unit that won't throw us out of the truck when driving.

1. Making a 2000 mile trip to MORryde factory for riser installation to get the rv level and proper clearance (afraid we will get another snow job anyplace else)
2. Replace Curt hitch with a B&W puck system hitch or Trailersaver hitch by Hensley
3. Replace MORryde pin box with TrailAir air bag pin box

Also, we have not been able to find a RAM or rv dealer that can tell us how to use the truck's air ride suspension and forget the manual. We were wondering what mode to use when traveling, when hooking up and when unhooking. Other suggestions for the rear air suspension that we should know.

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
Dapperdan

You can set your suspension for pulling your RV by pushing the "alt trailer height" button. It's next to your exhaust brake button. "alt trailer height" will lower your rear suspension by one inch. Hope this helps a little bit.

Dan
Old 10-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx trio View Post
Cummins - Thank you for your reply. Maybe there is hope for a better ride than the setup from the dealer! We just purchased a 2015 38Rssa DRV and a 2017 RAM 3500 crew cab dually Aisin long bed 4:10's rear air ride suspension. The dealer knew before we purchased the DRV what we would be pulling it with and never mentioned the need for risers. Then, the dealer sold us a Curt 24 hitch. Thinking this dealer knew rvs and be reliable/knowledgable, off we went on our bouncing and chucking 1000 mile trip home. So now we are trying to put together a usable unit that won't throw us out of the truck when driving.

1. Making a 2000 mile trip to MORryde factory for riser installation to get the rv level and proper clearance (afraid we will get another snow job anyplace else)
2. Replace Curt hitch with a B&W puck system hitch or Trailersaver hitch by Hensley
3. Replace MORryde pin box with TrailAir air bag pin box

Also, we have not been able to find a RAM or rv dealer that can tell us how to use the truck's air ride suspension and forget the manual. We were wondering what mode to use when traveling, when hooking up and when unhooking. Other suggestions for the rear air suspension that we should know.

Thank you for your time.
The system is simple. With at least 500# in bed of truck push the alt ride button. Now don't ever turn it off, reason is the truck rides more level with easier entry/exit and with less air in bags it will ride better solo.

For when you are unhitching go into settings scroll to suspension and hit tire jack mode. Go about unhooking as the suspension will not try to compensate with it in tire jack mode. No need to clear as it will do once the truck is moved.

This is a BIGGIE!!! Run 80psi front tires ALL the time and 65 rear towing and 35 rear solo. This will give you the best ride and tire life.

Also this is no BS have the trucks alignment adjusted to set the toe to 1/32" toe in as the factory is set at 1/4" and WILL cause outside tire stepping. Rotation, NEVER touch the rears and rotate the fronts side to side with the ROTATION staying the same.

I have LOTS of experience with all the above.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #18
Dapperdan

"Also this is no BS have the trucks alignment adjusted to set the toe to 1/32" toe in as the factory is set at 1/4" and WILL cause outside tire stepping. Rotation, NEVER touch the rears and rotate the fronts side to side with the ROTATION staying the same."

Wow Ron, you're spot on! I had to replace the front tires on my truck. RF started wearing on the outside edge!

Sorry for high-jacking this thread!

Dan
Old 10-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperdan View Post
"Also this is no BS have the trucks alignment adjusted to set the toe to 1/32" toe in as the factory is set at 1/4" and WILL cause outside tire stepping. Rotation, NEVER touch the rears and rotate the fronts side to side with the ROTATION staying the same."

Wow Ron, you're spot on! I had to replace the front tires on my truck. RF started wearing on the outside edge!

Sorry for high-jacking this thread!

Dan

Good info is NOT hi jacking!!!

Trick is to rotate the fronts every 15K balance and rotate side to side keeping the rotation the SAME!!!

Never touch the rears.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #20
Dapperdan

I get that Ron but I felt bad, this was TX Trio's thread about something completely different. I suppose good info is always welcome tho.

Dan

Tags
carpet replacement, drv, washable flooring