Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
RGordon

Grey Water Level Indicator

My grey water level indicator reads full all the time and has since delivery even when empty. Has anyone experienced this problem or know what might be causing it? I know it is warranty but hate to take it in for just this one issue.

2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
traveler

If your desire is to be able to read and believe your gauges, you should RV in the space shuttle. I have met very few people who have gauges that really work.

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Motor31

If it has never read correctly from delivery it might well be a wiring issue or display issue. I'd say taking it in is your best option to get it checked out. Either that or install one of the after market type tank displays that do not use a through the wall probe. One of those is prominently advertised here on this site.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
rdunk

There are physical situations that cause these tank indicators to display incorrectly. Both our black tank and grey tank has incorrectly read at times. I assume it has been caused by some kind of "debris" in the tank sticking to or interfering with the tank level monitor. The last time this happened with the black tank, it read incorrectly for several months, in spite of my making several attempts to correct through various cleaning methods. Finally, I tried something different, just based upon a hunch. After completing a black tank flush, I added our usual chemical, and I also added one cup of borax powder, and about a cup of laundry detergent. In a few days, after the normal black water tank flushing and backwashing, the tank indicator read correctly for the first time in several months.

In my "opinion", it was the BORAX that made the difference, because I had tried detergent in prior attempts, and that didn't do the job. So, now, after flushing the black tank, I just add a cup of BORAX, along with our tank chemical to help keep the tank level monitors clean.

So far, in the 8 to 9 months we have been using the BORAX, we haven't had any more problems.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
jack_diane_freedom

Our 2005 TK3 is our fifth trailer with absolutely unreliable tanks sensors. These things are never accurate and I do not know anyone whose are accurate. I would not bother taking it in for warranty for these items or you will be back each week. You will know from experience when it is time to dump without reference to the sensors.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
JudyGail

Send a message via ICQ to JudyGail
DO take it in for warranty. Our gray water tank read full 24/7 also. When we were in for other work, we mentioned the tank reading and they discovered they had inadvertantly pulled one of the connector wires loose while working on something else the last time we were in.

Like the others though, we rarely get a true reading on anything but the fresh water tank.

Judy Gail
MobileSuites '06 36TK3 #3151
Fulltimer Aug. '06, Hit the Road Sept. '07
JudyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
BobW

Here is what you can do. Fill your tanks half full with water, add 20 pounds of ice and drive to you next destination. In that time the ice will melt and you'll have indicators that will be correct for another month.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Motor31

Folks those are great ideas for cleaning sensors. In this case their sensors didn't work as delivered from the factory, not after use for a while. This indicates a malfunction of some kind. If it is the display it may also be reading incorrectly for all of them.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
RGordon

I sure do appreciate all the replies and your help. Gray water indicator has always read full since new. All other indicators are working properly. Sounds like it might be wire disconnected not completing wiring circuit. I was just trying to figure out if this was common amoung other fellow Suite owners. I has similar indicating system in my Winnebago Motorhome and it always worked great and have always made sure that I performed proper flushing of tanks. I need to take in for service anyway since I have one side of Trailair bag suspension on door side not holding air like it should. Thanks again!
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGordon
Sounds like it might be wire disconnected not completing wiring circuit.
Well if it's disconnected, it'll will read nothing. All lights lit up indicates the circut is working. You could try and exclange one wire for another that's working. Problem is, it a tight space down there.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
JudyGail

Send a message via ICQ to JudyGail
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGordon
Sounds like it might be wire disconnected not completing wiring circuit.
Well if it's disconnected, it'll will read nothing.
Not true in our case. The wire was disconnected and it read a full tank.

Judy Gail

MobileSuites '06 36TK3 #3151
Fulltimer Aug. '06, Hit the Road Sept. '07
JudyGail is offline   Reply With Quote