Old 05-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Txtower

Dream 5th wheel

I only have been towing 10 or so years. On my second camper, 2004 Starcraft BHS. I have been upgrading it bit by bit and would love it to last at least 10 more years. At that point with all of the kids and college educations done my wife and I will be looking for either a new or a very gently used/new fifth wheel.

So... I would like components on it like:
38-40í
A generator
Good auto leveling
Good almost hands free, Black grey water controls
A man cave area
Auto TV digital/satelite
For starters lol

I am curious as to what you guys like, donít like, would love to get and/or avoid.

Txtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
Notanlines

I will bet most members here will agree when I say you have one great thing going for you: You actually have some semblance of a plan. There are so many people going through life not worrying in the least about where they will be in ten years, much less what it will take to bring them there.
We left our toy hauler behind because we missed the actual living space of a "regular" RV. We seriously miss all the garage space, dearly love a large living area.
Four, five or six slides. Too many is not enough.
A dishwasher. The newer models work great.
I don't know how big you would have to go to have a man-cave. But if you find it, hopefully there will be room enough for a sewing machine. Remember you will have to share all these spaces......

Harley Roadking & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
dblr

Not sure how large of a man cave you will be looking for but how about the ones that have a mid bunkroom, I have seen some that come with a sofa and not bunks but sure someone would put in what you want. Now in 10 years that floor plan might not be available but for now something to look at. Check the River Stone, Lux, DRV and Heartland lines to see some.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Rockyhud

One RV model we considered at one time was the DRV Atlanta. They're long - about 43-ft or more - and heavier, but have a 2nd bedroom/office in the rear and have more slides (i.e., more storage area). As some RVers have written about, length restrictions in RV parks and camp grounds may not allow such a long RV to be parked there. Such a long 5er can also limit the ability to park one on private property as well, given the amount of space needed to maneuver them into the setup location.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Txtower

Kind words. Thanks Notanlines. A dishwasher.. who would have thought! It blows my mind the amenities available. I was thinking purely operational/functional stuff. I need to think outside the box!

Man cave wise, just a spot to set up a desk to do things, maybe reload bullets. Gets me out of my wife’s hair. I like the sound of the mid room. I am not opposed to going with greater trailer length. I have seen some with the rooms mentioned. Nice stuff. One that stood out (model not known)had a bunk house and area in the back with sofa and table in center of it. Many options...

More brainstorming:
accessible storage is another thing that comes to mind, LOTS of it.
Awnings for slide outs (an upgrade for me, lol)
Rear bumper ready for attachments and structurally made for it.
2 or 3 axels? With buying 6 tires in 3 years, 3 would not be a huge transition.
Real shower...

Sounds like my 14 year old 5th wheel is very old school if all of the above are normal now.
Txtower is offline   Reply With Quote