Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
jaydub

First time fulltimer (sort of)

Hi all,

I am purchasing a business a few hundred miles from my current full time residence. For the next 3-5 years, I will be living in a new 2016 Jayco 38FLSA fifth wheel.

I have owned numerous travel trailers for summer time use, but this is my first fifth wheel, and this is the first time I am looking at winter time use. I am going to have lots of questions as this unfolds.

I will stay in the RV for a week or two at a time, then leave for a week, then return. This is a year round plan, and the RV will be in a true four season climate with temperatures approaching 0 degrees Farenheit December-February.

The RV has a heated, enclosed underbelly with heat ducts on all the tanks. I do not have heated mats on the tanks. Should I consider getting mats installed?

My property has water, I am adding a sewer connection to the Septic, and I will pull a 50 Amp line to my parking spot. The RV is prepped with a fuel tank for a gasoline powered Generator. Should I add a generator? If so what size? For my older, smaller trailers I used a Yamaha 3000iseb generator. However, I do not think that unit will have the ability to power dual AC, a residential fridge, and the most important item of all, an electric coffee pot.

Initially, I will use the RV primarily at the site previously described. However, My wife and I will travel in the coach and to date, we have always dry-camped - I am not sure I have ever even been into a campground with hookups.

I would love thoughts, feedback, and lessons learned

Thanks!

jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

If you are ever going to need to have both ACs going at the same time--the 3000 isn't going to do it. If prepped for gasoline, the the minimum you would want is 5.5kw, the most popular brand for RV equipment is Onan. A 6500 Onan is not much more than the 5500.
Your most serious situation is the 0d, especially if you are not there during that period.
When absent, then winterizing probably is best. To use it comfortably in the cold, you can set up a heat tape on the water line, or fill the tank periodically and work of it instead of the water hose. As to the holding tanks--they should be ok when you are there, and make sure they are empty completely when not there. And same goes for the sewer hose as for the water hose--heat it, or keep it empty with no low spots.
It wouldn't hurt to skirt it some how to keep wind out from under and pulling heat away. With even the best of prep, something will probably freeze once or twice--when you find the vulnerable spots, you can take care of them.
Sounds like an interesting life...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote