Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
RodeWorthy

Save a Life! - Learn the Symptoms of a STROKE

This was forwarded to me and I thought it worth sharing:

During a BBQ a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ - had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps Ingrid would be with us today.

It only takes a minute to read this-

Recognizing a Stroke in Time
----- A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the patient! within 3 hours which is tough.

Signs of a Stroke
There are 3 simple steps a layman can use to test for possibility of Stroke. Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.

A cardiologist says if everyone who sends this message to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE, you could save their lives!

RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
madigand

Wow, thanks for the valuable info.

madigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
CampingCaptain

Send a message via AIM to CampingCaptain Send a message via Yahoo to CampingCaptain
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. As a licensed EMT I can vouch for RodeWorthy's advice. Everyone should write the 3 steps down and keep them where they can be found. I keep them on the front of our regfrigerator.
Vietnam Era Veteran
Proud parents of a US Marine
Retiring in 2007 and planning to go full-time
CampingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
MDTdriver

Stroke / Heart attack

I have had 2 heart atacks in the last 10 years, I was 63 this year.
In both I could tell my wife what to do and where to go for help up to the last 30 mins. or so. Arrived at hospital with in mins. of death both times.
So a stroke is much more difficult to see than my heart attacks.
So the 3 things to look for are very important for all of us.
Thank you Campingcaptain
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote