Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
morscuba

Frozen Dump Valves

Before I start tearing into stuff thought I would ask here first.. I've been in constant low 20's to single digits for awhile now not supposed to improve for at least a week. Both dump valves are frozen. Any Ideas on how to defrost or un-thaw. Hope everyone had a good New Year.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Motor31

The first thing I'd try is a 60 to 100 watt trouble light on a cord inside the basement area. Put it in the water control compartment (where the handles are) first to make sure it isn't the handles that are frozen since they really are between the basement and outside. There is an electrical outlet in the basement area so you don't have to worry about threading a cord through the outside basement doors. Kick the furnace up a bit too to get more air circulating. If you have been relying on space heaters that leaves the basement exposed to cold. You might also want to open the cabinet and pantry doors in the kitchen to let more air get in there too.

If you do use a 100 watt light be sure it doesn't sit directly on a tank and melt the tank surface. The black tank valve should be right behind the water heater. I'm not sure where the grey tank valve is.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Thom

Wow,, We have been in colder temps than that for a couple weeks and nothing froze up inside the trailer. If it were me I would get some extra heat in the in the storage compartment (space heater with a fan or something like that) and open both sides of the service access panels a few inches. Also run your furnace , that will help warm things up there ( I assume you are not using your furnace much). You really want to warm it up slowly in the tank area. hope it helps

Thom
Mobile Suites 36TK3 #3151 Blog at www.jggrafx.com/ftroadrunners
03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole. Michelin 245/70R-19.5/16 XDS low profile drivers and 245/70R-19.5/16 XZE low profile steers
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
JOHN EVANS

I recently experienced the same problem. What i did was open up the compartment under the fifth wheel it is located right under your dump valve compartment. It is attached with 4 selff tapping screws and a very tough sealant, i was only able to get 2 of the screws out and loosened 2 because 2 of the 4 are atop the lp gas pipe and i didnt want to put much pressure on the line by pulling it down. I was able to place Marlenes blow dryer in the compartment and it thawed the line in just a couple of mins. There was minimal insulation in this compartment so i added a bunch more. I thought all my problems with frozen lines were done until the temps fell into the minus and wind was aprox 35 mph. fresh water froze im not sure where it froze at but think it is in the holding tank. Took it to a dealer who but it inside to thaw and to winterize,
JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
morscuba

John ,,, I had that happen first (fresh water freeze) I was using the space heater to warm the 5er and another in the basement but just wasnt cutting it.. Had to turn the space heater facing the manifold and use the gas heat.
When you tore into the little hump is the grey water valve located in there??? As Mike told me, I found the blackwater ok but have yet to find the grey water. Or is the little bottom space just the pipe junction???
Any words would be appreciated.
Thanks all for the inputs..
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
JOHN EVANS

the compartment under the rig is a pipe junction gray water is the small pipe lots of luck
JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
Mikey

Furnace Heat

When we need more heat in the "belly" of the rig, I open one or both of the furnace vents in the basement. Slide the black door over and when you look at the furnace you should see 2 metal discs. Remove one or both. If you need a bit more heat in the bedroom floor, leave the sliding door partially open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open_200.jpg (123.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg closed_111.jpg (127.9 KB, 75 views)

2008 F450
Full-timing at last!
www.HomeIsWhereWeParkIt.net
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote