Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 05:01 AM   #1
whmayhew

Oil bath or hard grease for wheel bearings?

Which is better, mine currently using hard grease. Thinking about switching to 85W90 oil bath.

whmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
clev

I didn't know that we had a choice.

'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
whmayhew

I have Porkchop's old 2014 38SBSK3 that he converted to the hard grease. I am not sure I like it. I would think 85W90 would run cooler. Porkchop had trouble and converted all 4 wheels to hard grease. I drive tractor trailer and both the truck and trailers run oil bath. Should not be a hard job to convert. Just new wheel seals. And a lot of cleaning of the bearings. Just wanted other people's opinion.
whmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
porkchop

All you have to do is change the seals to accommodate the oil. No need to even clean the old grease out as it will dissolve naturally with the oil. I'm not actually sure I changed the seals, as there is no need to when going from oil to grease. Oil bath is a proven product for years in big trucks and trailers but for some reason they can't get the seals to work on these smaller axles. Walk around any truck stop and that's all you will see. That and the fact that none of the pros use tire pressure monitors. Good luck whmayhew. Clev=get off my thread.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Cummins12V98

I think the BIG issue is the poor quality of seals used. I am thinking about going to oil bath on mine, I will be running 75-90 SevereGear AMZ/OIL.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Dapperdan

When we were at MORryde a couple of years ago having the 2" risers put in the techs working on our trailer were adamant I change over from oil bath back to grease. They're thought process is these RVs don't travel enough and are parked too long causing sections of the bearings to "dry out". I know, I know, we've been over this a number of times. You for one would lift and "spin" your wheels periodically BUT the techs at MORryde "insisted" that most won't/don't and there in lays the problem...... bearing failure.

Just saying, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
porkchop

Millions of trucks, trailers and farm equipment sets for very extended periods. No one jacks them up and spins the wheels. EVER. No failure of "rusty bearings" reported. We personally travel 8-9 months a year and let our 2 personal vehicles set the entire time. No bearing failures yet.
Old wives story made up and perpetuated my a seal, bearing and oil salesman

And that's MY story and I'm sticking to it.

Bill
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
Dapperdan

Very good point Bill!!!! I wish when I was at MORryde I would've been "armed" with YOUR view point to bring up to those techs. Sadly, I drank their cool aid and switched to greased bearings from the oil bath hubs I had insisted on when ordering our trailer.

I had ZERO problems with my oil bath hubs up until MORryde convinced me to switch, I haven't had any trouble with the greased bearings (though) either.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
All you have to do is change the seals to accommodate the oil. No need to even clean the old grease out as it will dissolve naturally with the oil. I'm not actually sure I changed the seals, as there is no need to when going from oil to grease. Oil bath is a proven product for years in big trucks and trailers but for some reason they can't get the seals to work on these smaller axles. Walk around any truck stop and that's all you will see. That and the fact that none of the pros use tire pressure monitors. Good luck whmayhew. Clev=get off my thread.

Bill
You don't 'own' any thread, porkie, but if I had known you were involved, I would not have posted my question. Did you notice the time? When he posted Porkie, I didn't reply. BUT SINCE YOU DIDN’T THINK CLEARLY ABOUT POKING A SLEEPING BEAR AND BROUGHT IT UP: why are you working on wheel bearings? Are you an experienced, trained mechanic? Do you have 40 years of experience? Do you know that you are dangerous and can cause life threatening situations with your untrained modifications?

FWIW, I’ve waited all day, thinking that you might delete that last comment. I should have known better.
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
porkchop

clev=I'd guess by your erratic and frequent explosions all over the internet that you ate more than a few paint chips while growing up. Just what the h--- does "poking a sleeping bear" mean anyway? Is that intended to bring fear into my life, or what? On another forum you commented "I can't wait to meet you in person" What's that supposed to mean? I can not be scared and will not be intimidated. You should stay on a forum where you are protected by the moderators. OR, start acting like an adult and thinking person.

Bill
Old 08-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
clev

Good grief, porkie; this thread has been dead for almost 4 days! Did it take your brain that long to think of a response? It’s apparently been zapped to often with your mishandling of electrical items. Hmmmm? Pokeing a sleeping bear? Hmmm? Is there anyone on this forum, NO! anyone with connected brain cells that does not know what that means? Hmmm?? Meet you in person? Hmmm?? After all the attacks that you have directed at me and you know that I am Retired Army, Special Forces, and you can’t figure that out? You should stay away from electricity.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
clev

Moderators, can this thread be locked? I don’t see anything constructive happening after this. I’ll delete my last thread if necessary.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
Cummins12V98

I don't think there are any Moderators.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Cummins12V98

Back on topic, I contacted Chicago Rawhide seal Manufacturer. I gave them the National #472920 and he said their "grease seal" is #22558. He was busy doing 4 peoples work so he said he would get back to me with the proper oil bath seal #.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I don't think there are any Moderators.
Just as well; there is good information here, and if it were closed, we wouldn’t have your information with part numbers. Thank you for that.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #16
porkchop

I have other things to do in life besides sitting around on the net every day. You should get out more and try it. Maybe it would help your mental state.
Used to be special forces? Big deal. What can you do now, or is it something else for you to have your wife do for you?

Moderators=can Clev and his bitter ramblings be locked out?

Bill
Old 08-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
clev

If you have other things to do, why do you insist on continuing this? I'll put you out of your misery and I'll stop. You win; I quit; I have nothing else to say to you. It's like having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent anyway.

I will finish up with by agreeing with you about my wife. I am crippled in both legs and have Stage IV cancer, hopefully in remission, and am extremely fortunate to have a much younger wife that cares for me very well. And yes, she picks up my slack and does all the things that I cannot, including replacing the ceiling fan in the coach, to include the 'electrical', and installing and 'wiring' the solar panels. No, she does not have 40 years of experience.

Now I'm done with you.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #18
wingnut60
Site Team

clev and porkchop,
How 'bout let's stop the personal attacks?
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
clev

I agree, wing. I meant it when I said I quit and I’m done. You won’t see any replies or responses from me to him in any forum on any web site.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
MASTERDRAGO

Just as a side note. Our boat trailer (5,000 GVWR) has the Reliable brand wet oil bearings. It just at the 10 year age now and spends winters parked and static. The bearings and oil have looked good and the same between changes (once in ten years). When we travel I check the temperature of the hub at all stops with a remote temp sensor (infrared). They always run ~10 degrees above ambient. If I could, and I might when I change to disc brakes, consider the wet bearings over what is on my Montana 3791 now (easy lube).

MASTERDRAGO is offline   Reply With Quote