Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
water filtering

as i understand it our water filter can have different cartridgesput in it. when you fill your fresh tank and turm inside faucet on, does your water go through the filter before it comes out of the faucet. whould we use a filter in line when filling the tank to remove sediment? we are traveling to Mexico and will fill where water is ok and use the filled tank.

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I use an inline filter when filling my fresh water tank.

I did happen to notice that my water filter that is built into my MS came plummed from the factory so that it only filterd the water that came out of the tank.
I cut the line and put a T in it so that the filter would work on both the tank and city water hookup.

I use a 10 micron filter cartridge for sediment outside my trailer and a 5 micron filter cartridge for taste and odor inside(built in) my trailer.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
OB

Have spent many years rving in Mexico and also ran as as a wagonmaster on a couple of tours. Buy a clorox testing kit at one of the camping stores My advice is use the water from wherever you can get it. Put it in your tank, through a filter if you can. Add the proper amount of clorox to the water and test it. Use that water for washing and bathing. Buy sealed water jugs from any corner convience store and use that water for making tea, coffee, ice cubes and brushing your teeth. The water jugs come with a sealed plastic cap. Do not buy one if that cap has been removed or tampered with. Wash any fresh vegetables and fruits in a stronger clorox solution. Then sample everything they have and enjoy yourselves. Mexico is a great place to visit, see and live. Enjoy your trip.

PS; OH I forgot. Here's another great tip. Go to a health food store and buy a jar of JaroDolphus. Thats a yoghurt type pill. Start taking some as per directions a couple of days before entering Mexico and take some with every meal. These pills will strengthen your digestive system and overcome any of the bad bugs everyone tells you about. After taking these, me and my felow travelers never had a problem.
04 36TK3 #1207 w/5th airborne pin hitch
OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Motor31

Our rig filters the water from both the tank and the shore water source. It's pretty obvious as we have been several places where the tap water was pretty nasty and it was filtered from both the tank and hose.

I recommend you NOT depend on the filter to keep you safe in Mexico. You have options as to what type of cartridge you put in but none that I have seen state they will stop microbes and bacteria in the style of filter that the RV takes. It's also only a single stage filter.

If you are around towns and cities in Mexico there is purified water available for drinking and cooking. I'd definitely plan on using that and doing what you can to sanitize the tank when you fill it. Use a pre filter like an inline one but again it won't filter out the bad bugs. It just helps with sediment and some taste issues. A bit of chlorine bleach will help keep the tank and lines as clean as possible. Do plan on doing a sanitize and flush as soon as you get back.

Mexico can be a great place to visit, just take some precautions and you'll be fine.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
5thwheeler

We installed the SHURflo Filter/Monitoring Faucet Kit as a review 2 years ago. Great product that we've purchased in each of our coaches as we buy/sell/trade.

From Box......
"Add water filtration to any RV or boat to improve taste and eliminate odors. The premium Waterguard™ filter reduces bacteria, chlorine, hydrogen sulfide, water soluble heavy metals and microorganisms to give you bottled water quality right from the chrome monitoring faucet with built-in LED indicator that tells you when to change the filter for maximum effectiveness. Space-saving, easy-to-install under-counter system fits ˝" inside dia. water line. Filters up to 5000 gallons at 1 gallon per minute, removing particles down to 5 microns. Works with pressures from 20 to 125 psi. Complete kit includes faucet, filter, 8' tubing (1/4" dia.), adapter connection fitting, filter clip, battery for LED indicator and Teflon® tape."

Its a very easy install that typically takes less then 20 minutes.
Click on the Camping World Banner and search for Catalog Item # 27984
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote