Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
BillA

Gas Cooktop Grill

The grill on top of our gas stove has rubber gromets on each of the four legs where the legs penetrate the top of the stove. I guess these gromets are supposed to keep the legs from falling through the holes but it is not effective on the back two legs. They do fall through and the grill comes to rest on top of the back gas burners with the grill angled down toward the back of the stove. I thought that might be due to the countertop cover setting down on the grill as opposed to resting on the ledge on each side of the stove, but that does not appear to be the problem. I am considering going to a welding shop to have a washer inserted over each leg of the grill and welded at the appropriate height but before I do I thought I would see if anyone else had a solution.

Thanks for the help.

BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
bstark

Those grill tops are porcelienized and will rust after any welding is done to those ends. On ours there is a 'step' bent into the ends of those short legs to prevent that from happening and perhaps you just need to bend the legs towards each other to tighten their grip in those grommets?

Old 09-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
vmc4820

stove

You may want to call DRV. We had a problem with ours in the beginning because one of the grommets had cracked. They gave me an extra set of 4 since these do crack and break over time especially if you are not careful when you lift the grate out to clean. If you try and clean by only taking the grate out part way and not straight up, the grommets will also crack. Good Luck.
SOITC member #4454
'06 F350 CC Lariat DRW 2WD w/ Trailer Saver TS3
vmc4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
BillA

Our grill has that "step" bent into the legs too but the bent section just pushes on through the gromet. The weld/rust factor is a good observation. I will try bending the legs some and see if that helps.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
RodeWorthy

Range top grommet tip

This is a very common problem. I bought a replacement set of grommets at RV Connection in Yuma. I agree with Barry and Vickie it is necessary to be very careful when lifting and replacing the grill. It needs to be lined up directly into the grommets and then lowered slowly. No tipping or inserting one corner before the others. Since replacing the grommets we have had no further problem by following this method. You might want to try this before trying to bend the grate which might cause even more problems. Forcing the grill into the grommets will just cause them to pop out of and fall through the holes.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

grates on cooktop

If the metal leg with a porcelain coating is bent, the coating will crack.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
layne

This has been a pet peeve of mine since we've had ours. I've replaced the rubber gromets twice in three of the holes. I think it is a poor design, however, I had a similar problem in our previous fifth wheel, so it's not just this stovetop. I've now got four packages of the gromets since I know I will need them. I called the company that makes the stove and they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, so got them at the RV dealer. I've decided it's something I'll have to live with and will have to replace them regularly.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
morscuba

Mine were split grommets. I found replacements at Camper World. I'm sure any RV parts place has'em
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
Whirlwind

stove gromets

I had the same problem but replace ours with heavy duty rubber gromets I found in the electric department at Ace Hardware store. They fit tighter and handle the heat better; and so far not a problem one.

Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote