Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
GlennWest

Goodyear tire failure

Only my third pull with my RV and one of the Goodyear G64 (I believe that's the right #) got hot and the tread rolled off of the tire. I was pulling at night and didn't notice the tire getting hot. It came off with a bang and broke the base plate off of the leveler extension. I checked all the air and they were 110 before pulling out. After failure the tire pressure was 100. Rechecked all the other tires and they were around 115. Assumed they were higher due to heat. Think this is just a case of tire going down or is it the Goodyear G64's prone to this? I've read a lot of problems about them.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
morscuba

1st Keep your tire!!! you can or should be able to get some kind of dispensation. Take the tire into a goodyear dealer and start the process or call the GY 1-800 number. Yep have heard lottsa problems. Mine happened with Uniroyals x 2 to the tune of about $8000.00, $3200.00 my insurance covered because I didnt keep the first tire.
I just ordered the new TSP TPM for my tires. It runs abaout a $1000.00 for 14 wheels Temp and Press sent to the cab. Its expensive but the piece of mind is worth it I hope. Good luck

Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Glen West

After two blow outs I switched my running gear to the 8000 lb axles and 17'5 tires and rims.

I also run pressure pro on all of my tires , truck included. The tread separation, the tire pressure monitors would not have helped, but the blow out it would have notified you that a problem was starting/ or about to happen.

Goodyear has been very good about covering the tire as well as the damage.

Good Luck.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
billr

Like the others said, KEEP the old tire and chunk of tread. Get an estimate of repairs and tire replacement and put the claim in! A buddy just did this for the same tire and it was almost 5ys old. They paid!

As far as why it lost the tread, thats been a long long on going problem with the 614 and some others as well. You really have not too many options as to what tire you use, GY is about the only "G' game in town.

Age, temps, press, and treatment (curbing, damaging the tire) can lead to it. But it seems a lot of the separations are just not explained.

I think I remember you got your trailer used. That could explain it, no way to know how the tires were cared for before you got it. They may have been exposed to high temps, high speeds, low pressure, or mis-treated.

Being a 2005 rig, have a look at the date codes on the tires, it may be on the inside so have a good look. If they are getting to 5-6 yrs (possible depending on build date and how long they stocked the tires before build)

It might be a good time to spring for a new set.

JMHO.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Diesel-Gypsy

Glen West, I had the exact same experience two months ago.
No real good reason for it, tread peeled, tire stayed inflated.
GY was very good about it.
I opened a claim, followed their instructions, bought a replacement, and in about 3 weeks I received compensation.

The whole deal revolves around getting your tire back to Akron, Ohio for inspection.

Good luck.

Rick
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
GlennWest

Went by a Goodyear dealer today and they gave me Goodyear phone # and they said goodyear would replaced tire and fix any damage with rv. They said this wasn't the first one they'd seen and Goodyear had stood behind every one. Now to find a tire. They were back ordered on this dealership.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
GlennWest

called goodyear today, very courteous. Emailed the necessary forms. Stated upon inspection 15 days later check would be sent. Send photos and 1 estimate. They are sending pickup for tire at local dealer of my choosing. Only problem I have is finding a tire. On backorder at this dealership with no shipment date. Do most of you get the factory leveler foot from DRV or aftermarket?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
RGordon

Glenn, You can order directly from Lippert and they have 9" & 12" hydraulic stabilizer feet ranging from $25 to $29. You can go online to Lippert www.lci1.com. This way you cut the middle man.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGordon
Glenn, You can order directly from Lippert and they have 9" & 12" hydraulic stabilizer feet ranging from $25 to $29. You can go online to Lippert www.lci1.com. This way you cut the middle man.
Thanks and God bless.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
suitediver

Tire Blow out

We had a blow out on our first trip out to Branson for the Rally in 2007. We didn't know to pick up all the pieces and Goodyear denied that claim. This year on trip from TX to SD we had another blow out, treads just came off, picked up all the pieces plus some. Took to Goodyear store. We got reimbursed for new tire, they sent Paul Cross @ Indiana International Enterprises check to repair damage as we were going there Rally. On way to rally we had 2 more blow outs. Same thing. Had all repairs done by Paul. Goodyear sent checks , even got reimbursed for 2 nights in hotel while Paul was doing the painting on rig. Happy Campers

Bobbie and Bill Starr
suitediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
billr

Re: Tire Blow out

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitediver
We had a blow out on our first trip out to Branson for the Rally in 2007. We didn't know to pick up all the pieces and Goodyear denied that claim. This year on trip from TX to SD we had another blow out, treads just came off, picked up all the pieces plus some. Took to Goodyear store. We got reimbursed for new tire, they sent Paul Cross @ Indiana International Enterprises check to repair damage as we were going there Rally. On way to rally we had 2 more blow outs. Same thing. Had all repairs done by Paul. Goodyear sent checks , even got reimbursed for 2 nights in hotel while Paul was doing the painting on rig. Happy Campers

Bobbie and Bill Starr
Sorry for all your tire troubles. But I have to wonder (as I'm sure you do as well) why have you had 4 tires fail? Do you have any clues to what the cause is? I know the 614's are somewhat prone to tread separations, but were all four that? Or road hazards? If not, are there any issues like over weight, low press, high speed? Were any of the second, third, forth the mate tire on the same side as the previous failed tire? Possible overloading after blowout.

These are just some thoughts, and the answers may help out a lot of folks. Not trying to rub in your tire issues.

Good response from GY to pay for everything!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:13 AM   #12
Jack in Alaska

I just purchased two new GY 614's in Wenatchee, Wa. at Dicks Tire. $467 for two with a $50 rebate. They will replace the two late 2003 date code original tires still on my 2004 MS.
The other two were replaced last year with 2006 date code tires that I got for nothing from a MS dealer. They were almost brand new. A previous customer had two ruined from dragging brakes so all 4 were replaced. I got the two good ones with the mold tits still on the tread. A man has to make his pension money go farther somehow.

Dicks said that the factory was out of those tires but they had some in the Wash. warehouse.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
Like the others said, KEEP the old tire and chunk of tread. Get an estimate of repairs and tire replacement and put the claim in! A buddy just did this for the same tire and it was almost 5ys old. They paid!

As far as why it lost the tread, thats been a long long on going problem with the 614 and some others as well. You really have not too many options as to what tire you use, GY is about the only "G' game in town.

Age, temps, press, and treatment (curbing, damaging the tire) can lead to it. But it seems a lot of the separations are just not explained.

I think I remember you got your trailer used. That could explain it, no way to know how the tires were cared for before you got it. They may have been exposed to high temps, high speeds, low pressure, or mis-treated.

Being a 2005 rig, have a look at the date codes on the tires, it may be on the inside so have a good look. If they are getting to 5-6 yrs (possible depending on build date and how long they stocked the tires before build)

It might be a good time to spring for a new set.

JMHO.

Bill
My coach is an 06, my truck 05. jfyi. My tires are dated 13-06. Just slightly over 3 years old. Goodyear told me they have 5 year warranty. It is true I have no way to know how the tires were treated. The rv though looks as though it has barely been lived in. He (they) kept very good care of the inside and outside even writing down maintenance performed on coach. Seems likely they would take care of tires also. They even replaced the anode rod in the hot water heater and documented it.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
47hook

A killer for these tires is sitting for extended periods of time. GY site says tire should be driven every 3 to 6 months, IIRC. Check out the website for facts. With my old 5er, I had a couple of tread seperations and GY replaced all tires, spare included, and paid for the minor repairs after the 2nd one let go. I now make sure every 3-6 months I drive the MS about 25 to 50 miles to warm up the tires.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
GlennWest

For us, every 3 months won't be an issue. The nature of my work causes us to move a lot. The job I'm at now is suppose to last 3 months but I doubt it. The longest I've worked anywhere in the last 3 years is 3 months. That's why we're full time rving.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
JOHN EVANS

GLEN YOU SAID YOUR A PIPELINER. WHERE YOU AT NOW? 50 MILE LINE COMEING OUT OF PONTINAC IL TO MANHATTEN IL.. When im not working underwater i work pipeline thru Local 150 I.U.O.E.

JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote