Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
flycaster

Water Softeners

We have a 36 ft unit and spend the winters in AZ. Last year we noticed a lot of scale buildup in our water stystem to the point it drastically cut the water pressure to the kitchen sink. We were wondering how to clean the system and if using a portable water softener would help? Any information on these softeners (both good and bad) would be appreciated. We are considering purchasing one and don't want to waste money on a system that won't solve the problem.

flycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Gemstone

If you are going to spend time anywhere along the Colorado River basin, but in particular, Yuma....then you should invest in a Reverse Osmosis System. You can count on $350 to $500, depending on the output of the 3 filter system. The entire system will fit in a medium sized Rubbermaid type container, and can be plumbed to sit on the ground outside of your RV, or if you have the space, in the basement area. I opted for outside, it makes changing filters much easier and there is no water to mop up. You can get information from The RV Water Filter Store, or at the Yuma Marketplace.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WCRO.htm

Regards
Gemstone

Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
flycaster

I hear the revrese osmosis systems use a lot of water. Someone said as much as 7 or 8 gallons to one good one. Maybe I heard wrong, but that seems to be a lot.
flycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Gemstone

That is somewhat correct. I believe my one membrane system uses 4 gallons to process one gallon of pure water. A two membrane system is more efficient, however more costly. I use the "waste" water for irrigation of plants and trees on our property, rather than sending it down the drain.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
RGordon

I don't know anything about the RO systems, but have been looking at Camping World at the two different water softeners they have. One uses table salt and the other uses solar salt. I believe this be good for calcium buildup deposits and would be cheaper in the long run. The water in Florida is very hard and leaves spots on the shower door and clogs up the faucets. CW has the best prices that I have found on the water softeners and will get one when I return to Florida next month.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
RodeWorthy

A whole house RO system is not an option for me. Too wasteful of water and I have no useful way to dispose of the brine. I might in the future consider a small RO system for water that we cook with and/or consume. ITMT we purchase RO water and store it in jugs for cooking and consumption.

We wintered in Arizona last year and I purchased additional filters (external) and a water softener. I added a one micron sediment filter and a one micron 'bug' filter ahead of the water softener which is also external. We are very pleased with the quality of the water and the soft water is just plain wonderful.

Some might object to the reduced flow due to the above setup. I experimented this spring and found the flow was mostly restricted by the one micron 'bug' filter. The sediment filter and w.s. had little effect on flow. It might have been better to use a 5 micron 'bug' filter.

With this setup all water that goes into the rig - either direct or to the tank is filtered and softened. As stated, we do not drink this water. I was always uneasy about filling my tanks directly from a c.g. spigot.

The soft water is great for eliminating water spots. I wash the rig with it and it requires little or no wiping. I use the same filters at my stick house to wash my vehicles. This keeps the filters and w.s. fresh without stagnation.

The softener we have is rated at 300 gallons and uses 16 oz of table salt per charge. The hardness of the water dictates the period between charges. It seems to range from 11 to 30 days. We bought the softener at Quartzsite but it essentially comes from RV Connection in Yuma just around the corner from the fleamarket. I paid $249.

The filters came from the RV Water Store - see link in earlier post.

I am very pleased with this addition. I hope this info helps you decide.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
RodeWorthy

Flow restriction in kitchen faucet

In my previous post I did not respond to your query regarding cleaning the system.

We also experienced drastic flow reduction from our kitchen faucet. It got to the point there was only a dribble from that faucet. Others were OK. I disassembled the faucet and found a blockage of calcium and factory debris (wood chips, etc.) were blocking the entrances to the faucet where the hoses terminate. I cleared that debris and now we have good flow flow from all our faucets. I did not attempt to treat the system for calcium build up in any other manner other than add filtering and w/s as described earlier.

I hope your fix is as easy and successful.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Thom

We are using a water conditioning system instead of a softener and it really works. I only change filters once a year both the on board and a 5 or 10 micron sediment filter before the trailer, this is the one I use, their portable set up for 12volt operation
http://www.waterkingusa.com/WK-RV.htm
Thom

Mobile Suites 36TK3 #3151 Blog at www.jggrafx.com/ftroadrunners
03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole. Michelin 245/70R-19.5/16 XDS low profile drivers and 245/70R-19.5/16 XZE low profile steers
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote