Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
hitchup

Ordering vs Buying off the lot

Without disclosing exact $'s, can anyone tell me if you paid full price for your SS, MS or ES? And if you got a discount off MSRP what was the %? This pertains to "off the lot" as well as a "special order". Since we have so many people who are thinking about a purchase on the forum, they might benefit from this, too. I know occasionally I will see a used MS, but they are very rare so we're all buying new.

We bought ours at a RV show in NC. If I were to order a unit, there are some options that I definitely would have left out. Don't like the DT sheets & can live without the monogramed towels to save $290. I never use the vacuum so save $363 there. Could have used our own 2nd TV & saved $326. Might have ordered without "window silks" to save $1100 - 1300.
**Just located the 06 ES pricing sheet dated 8-15-05 & it doesn't show Window silks as an option**

We did request that they remove the leather recliners (an $1160 upgrade) & coffee table ($471) & give us 2 Euro chairs IPO. But if I would have known the Euro chairs weren't going to hold up, I would have requested to leave them out totally. Come to think of it, maybe no couch or table either.

Appreciate any input in advance.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
CherriandBob

I think we got a pretty good deal. We went over all the options we wanted and the dealer priced the unit for us. He had a 38 on the lot but it had things we didnt really want like the big screen tv and leather recliners and there may have been others. It was the right color scheme and had the trailer hitch. The dealer told us to make an offer, but I told him he wouldn't like it because I wasn't willing to pay extra for the extras that I didn't want. The % off was about the same ordering or picking off the lot. I think the dealer's turnover was pretty good and nothing sat on the lot very long. We were very happy with the purchasing experience.

SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
JPHarris

We ordered ours and got 29.75% off of MSRP. I was happy with that. Some might be getting more some less but what really matters is you have to make the deal that makes YOU happy.
Cape May, NJ & Fort Myers, Fl. and anywhere else we decide to roam.
JPHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Barnes8084

We got just over 25% when running the numbers... Liked unit on lot and never gave ordering a thought.

Good luck !!
2003 MS 33RS3 #610
2005 Chev 2500HD Diesel
SW Ohio
Barnes8084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
rjallred

Our dealer, who we really like, said that special order or off the lot would be the same price for us. He said his costs are the same.

I will do a special order the next time to get it just the way I want it but this also gives you several months to wait. Like everything in RVing it is a trade off.
Now Teton Homes 36'
GMC Dually 3500
www.beastfeast.org
rjallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
rverdlm

We ordered because having been fulltimers for ten years we knew exactly what we wanted and we feel this is our ultimate and last trailer purchase. Because we were living in the trailer, we had to trade. Therefore it's not possible to figure a percentage off. What I did was look at the prices of trailer of various brands, figure what my used trailer was really worth and then went shopping. I found a dealer that was convient to where I would be at delivery time and would work with me on that basis. He beat the price I expected to pay by over $10K . I was happy with the dealer (Walnut Ridge, in New Castle, IN) at delivery time and I'm still impressed with them with regards service after sale.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
AlwaysHomeNow

We special ordered and got around 24% off list.
2005 36TK3 #2280
2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison DRW
Just the DH and I living wherever the contract is
AlwaysHomeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
JBoldennew

FWIW ... RV industry has a normal 30% markup from wholesale to retail. If you can't get at least 25% of MSRP from a dealer, I suggest you just go to another dealer. I did this when buying my unit. I was already in favor of the MS; HOWEVER I shopped Carriage and their carrie-lite. Got only one dealer to come close to 30% as three others wouldn't budge off of 15 to 21% OFF. I happily went back to by MS dealer.

John
2003 Dodge 3500 HD 4:10
Waiting to retire again!
JBoldennew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
JBoldennew

FWIW ... RV industry has a normal 30% markup from wholesale to retail. If you can't get at least 25% of MSRP from a dealer, I suggest you just go to another dealer. I did this when buying my unit. I was already in favor of the MS; HOWEVER I shopped Carriage and their carrie-lite. Got only one dealer to come close to 30% as three others wouldn't budge off of 15 to 21% OFF. I happily went back to by MS dealer.

John
2003 Dodge 3500 HD 4:10
Waiting to retire again!
JBoldennew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
RGordon

It really depends upon whether or not you have a trade-in that is figured in or not. I ended up getting 25% off and was happy to get it. It cost lots of money to maintain a good RV dealership and I don't want to see my dealer go out of business just because I went somewhere else to save 5% or less. Buying off lot was same price as ordering, even though I did order and seems like it took forever, but did get all options.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
special order

we sold our old rig and ordered our new one. we spec'd out every single thing and made 28 changes, the we put it out to bid to every dealer in the country. We saved about 29 %. We had no furniture and instead went to Lazyboy. Bought a double recliner and a nice couch...the couch was a little tricky...if I could have talked DH into it, we would have ordered that but he's the one that want's it NOW. we also put in a tempurpedic mattress. and had the Louisiana cut put in the main floor...it is all linoleum except they said we had to have carpet in the slides. The dining window was lowerd to the same height as the other one on that slide and a row of cabnets put over the dinette. After delivery we had adjustable roll out shelves put in the china closet so that we don't have to remove items in the front to get to the items in the back. We have the Elite suite but no granite. We also changed out the track lighting to get something unique and a new ceiling fan with a better pitch. WE LOVE OUR SUITE!

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote