Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Christal

Smile water in hot water heater

jus wondering if we are suppose to empty the hotwater tank when we are moving. I follow my husband when we moved here and i noticed water coming out of the hotwater heater side everytime he took a turn. Is that normal/ok? Been full timing for 2 years in same spot but will be moving to next state in about a month. Need to make sure im doing everything i need to before Im back to following him on the road. Thanks for the help.

Christal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Notanlines

Christal, the answer to your question is a NO, do not empty the water heater to move. It serves no purpose and one would risk burning the heating element if the heater was turned on before refilling.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
MTK46

Are you sure it's coming from the hot water tank? That tank is sealed so no water should come from it. It's more likely from the full water tank overflow drain. As Jim said no need to drain it.
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
Christal

Thank you so much!!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
Christal

Not sure what it was... it was awhile back. I'm jus trying to gather all I need to check and do with trailer before we leave. I remembered I seen it and its about the area it was coming from. It very well could have been a grey water then? It took me awhile to locate kitchen dump valve. I didn't know that it jus pours out like that. Thank you for your response.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
Christal

We have a 2016 keystone avalanche 380 fl.. Do you happen to know where the fresh water plug is under trailer? I for the life of me haven't found it. I put some fresh water in when we went on our very first night. Ive since emptied it via water pump because I didnt want it to get stale/stinky. Thank you
Old 05-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

Christal,
The mfgs seem to make a game of hiding the drain/valve on some models. Can you find the fresh tank? Somewhere below that will be a drain line with a valve on it. Look around under the trailer for a (probably) white tube--that should be the drain line. It may have a visible valve; if not, the valve is inside somewhere above where the drain line comes out.
And, as to the water sloshing out--as said, that is from a full tank sloshing around and coming out the vent line. Not a problem.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
Christal

Thank u so much for responding I have found the drain as well as overflow vent...It says I have a 66 gal fresh water tank...I can't get the water to go in tank so I'm thinking it is clogged or something or that 4 way valve is messed up. Not sure. Either way need to sanitize it is there a specific way u do this procedure or recommend? Bleach or that pool shock? Do I need to do anything turn pump on? Change to tank valve right? To fill fresh tank? So when u flush hot water heater do u use anything to clean with other than water. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Not sure what type of valving control you have--is it a multi-position lever that rotates in a circle? If so, you may not be using the correct position to fill the tank. As to the pump, there is an on/off switch somewhere, probably along with other control switches. Might also be one in the service bay where the valve in question is located. Need more info on what your trailer has for water control ....
Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #10
Christal

It looks like a four way valve tank, city, normal, winterize. The switch to water pump is located where all my slides and fan controls are located. I jus didn't know if u had to have the pump turned on or off to add water to freshwater tank
Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

First, google for 'Kantleak' valve, or Andersen Brass Kantleak Valve--that should get you to a page where the valve is explained. To fill the water tank from city source--the valve should be at a 'City Fill' point. To use the pump to pump water from the tank, set the valve to 'Normal' and turn the pump switch on and try a faucet. To use city water, set the valve to 'City Fixtures' position; do you know where the water pump is? Can you hear it running if you flip the switch? Pump will not run if system is pressured from city water higher than the pump pressure. The Kantleak valve is a complicated unit, and is known to have various problems, you are just going to have to have an understanding of how it is supposed to work and then try the various valve positions until you figure it out. Best not to change the valve position with water pressure on the valve, but also a hassle to turn water/relieve pressure each time you turn the valve. If the valve is not working at all, then I don't know exactly what positions might work or not--but you really need to find the water pump and find out if it even works.