Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
traveler

Generator Question

I have two new Honda EU2000i generators and the parallel connection kit.

I want to run a heavy duty refrigerator (It probably draws 18+ amps on start up, but less while running). I plan to use the parallel kit to get the 30 amp plug into which I will plug an adaptor that gives me a standard 20 amp 110 volt recepticle. All of this to better handle the surge.

My question is will the regular outlets on the generators still have 110 volts going to them? In short, I am trying to get one 110 outlet that can handle a little more amperage, but not lose the capability to have 110 volt outlets on the generator which does not have the parallel kit mounted on it.

I understand that I will have to be careful not to overload the circuits on the generators. The scenario loosely described above is to handle power outage situations at my home in Texas.

At other times I may use the two generators more conventionally--as either totally separate units or completely twined so that I can run one of the ACs in my Mobile Suite.

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
traveler

I think I have figured this out. Basically the generators will do whatever they can, limited by the circuit brekers on the 110 volt outlets. But, they can deliver 30 amps to the 30 amp outlet and not be restricted to a 20 amp breaker limit. this means that the other outlets can deliver whatever is left over but will trip if the generator capacity is exceeded.

This is good.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote