Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Texan

Looking for the right Mobile Suite

Hi All

My wife and I are considering getting back into RVing. After careful research, we are leaning toward a 32 Mobile Suites. Trouble is, we can find only a few new or barley used 2008s and, so far, zero 2009 32 models available (without ordering one). We have checked most popular RV trading and selling web sites. It seems that 32s are not very popular in lieu of the longer 36 models. Why? Any suggestions on locating a new or almost new, fully equipped 32 TK3 or a 32 2009?

Thanks

Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

MS trailers

I would guess that most people who want to spend the money on a MS also want the room that the 36-38 foot units give, and maybe the room for a washer/dryer. What is the reason you want to stop at 32 feet? Weight, then drop down to Select Suites. Comfort in pulling long trailers? I went from a 30 TT to my 36 MS without any disasters.

Stay tuned, you will get more help from the veterans on this site.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Texan

32 Mobile vs 36 Select

Hi Joe

Weight and features are the issue. I don't want to push my truck. I realize that there is only 3 feet 3 inches difference in length, but there is 1,200 lbs difference in dry weight (ref Doubletree brochure). That is a lot in this weight range. I'm planning for a 2008 Dodge Cummins Mega cab dually with a 5th wheel capability of 13,900 (3.73 rear end).

Your comment is appreciated....

Texan
Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Ridge Runner

We love our 2007 32TK3. We had a larger camper before we bought the Mobile Suite and decided to downsize. We don't plan on fulltiming and so the 32' perfectly meets our needs. There were a few 32' Mobile Suites on dealer lots when we were looking but not with the options and interior colors that we preferred. Consequently, we ordered our Suite with the options and colors that we wanted. There really isn't that much difference in the price of a 32' and a 36' so just decide what size you want and then order it with the options of your choice. Good luck with your decision.

Bob
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Texan

Hi Bob and Diana

We're thinking about ordering a 2009 32. Our thought is that we won't be in as good of a bargaining position in ordering a 2009 as negotiating for a "sitting there" 2008 32. What is your experience?

Thanks

Texan
Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Ridge Runner

You will not have any problems towing a 32' or a 36' with the truck you describe. We tow ours with a SRW Dodge 3500. I do have a Jake Exhaust brake and I upgraded the tires to Nitto 285-70-17 with maximum weight ratings of 3,750 per tire. Our truck handles the trailer beautifully. We have been caught out in some storms with fairly high wind gusts with no problems. The Jake makes going down mountains a non issue. Of course the newer trucks have the exhaust brake built into the turbo which is supposed to be even better than the type we have on our 2006 truck. Our camper, which has most of the options, has a pin weight around 3,500 pounds when fully loaded incuding approximately 1/2 to 2/3 tank of water. From what I have heard, a 36' has a pin weight about 300 to 500 pounds heavier than ours.

Bob
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Ridge Runner

Our experience was we could order one for about the same price as buying one on the lot plus we could get exactly what we wanted. One good thing about the 2009's is that they have the side-to-side leveling system. We just had the leveling system put on our camper and really like it. Of course you could have the leveling system installed on a 2008. Trailaire installed ours and did a super job. They are great people to work with. The only thing you can do is decide what you want and then negotiate prices. Our problem was we could not find exactly what we wanted on a dealers lot.

Bob
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Texan

Hi Bob and Diana

Our problem exactly. We too can not find the exact 32 we want. I guess we will have to seriously consider an order. Any advice in the ordering a Mobile Suite process? I think I know what options I want (side to side high on the list) but are there any suggestions? Does gen prep come as standard feature?

Texan
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
hitchup

I think you'll be much happier with ordering a new 2009. The new ones have so many great features inside and out.

We love our Elite bought "Off the Lot", but knew when it was time to trade, that we'd have to order one. Times are tough, so there are dealers willing to deal! Since we had a tradein, am not sure what our % off was. But we're happy with the bottom line and can't wait to see what the final product looks like.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Ridge Runner

Gen prep is an option. That is the only option that we got that if I would omit if I had it to do over again. The gen prep option takes up too much of the storage area on a 32'. I doubt that we will ever install a generator anyway. The storage area on a 32' would be more than sufficient without the steel walls that are installed for the gen prep. As far as tips on ordering, I would contact two or three dealers and start negotiating. Be sure and provide each dealer with a list of the options you want so that you can make apples to apples comparisons.

Bob
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
Texan

Hi Bob and Diana

Here's our concern......

We have animals. Our concern is that if we left our unit for a part of the day and the campground's power failed. Would it be possible to rely on a LP generator to power the AC on an as needed basis? We are probably way to precarious in this regard, but it is a consideration of the options we are complementing.

Thanks

Texan
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Motor31

I don't know of any RV generator system in a trailer that is set to automatically come on in the event of a power failure. Secondarily the propane generator uses a LOT of propane compared to any other fuel style unit. We had a propane 3.6 Kw Onan in our second 5th wheel. It used almost a gallon of propane an hour, was noisy and unreliable. On the basis of propane usage it could empty the entire supply in one day.
We no longer have a built in gen set in our rig. We use a Honda 2000 for winter boondocking. It handles everything short of the AC.

In over 4 years of fulltime RVing we have not found a problem with power loss at a park. If it's system wide outage (ie storm) the power company will be on it as soon as they can. If it's a park issue, go find another park as their electrical woes are likely to put your electronics at risk.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
Ridge Runner

I understand your concern for your animals. We also travel with with our pet (Lizzie). Like Mike said, it is not very common to have power problems. But in the event there were problems, the Suite is well insulated and is not likely to get so hot to cause the animals problems if you were only gone for a few hours. We usually close our blinds when we leave Lizzie in the camper primarily so she will not bark at people or animals that she would otherwise see. Closing the blinds would also keep the camper cooler if there was an electrical outage. I second Mike's endorsement of the Honda 2000. Like he said they will run everything that you need electricity for except the air conditioners.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
cptxguys

Motor31,
For clarification, if you have the inverter option, AND the generator option (not just the gen prep), the power system monitiors the shore power and batteries to autostart the generator when necessary/required.

The Onan Generator also has an autostart feature that is connected to the thermostat so it will start (regardless of battery level) when the thermostat calls for AC or the heatpump.

It's a pretty cool system. With shore power, the system distributes AC power to the coach and charges the batteries. When the shore power is lost, the inverter converts battery power to AC power to run TV, lights, etc. When the batteries become low, the generator auto starts and recharges the batteries. When the batteries are recharged, the generator autostops. Once AC power is restored, and the batteries are recharged, the Generator autostops as well and stays off with shore power available.

We have the inverter and gasoline generator on our Elite Suites. We used a portable generator on our Mobile Suite for tailgating at sporting events. We like the option to have AC power (via the inverter) when minimal AC is required and 'full power' for items such as both ACs when required via the generator.

I hope this helps.
2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Motor31

Robert,

Sounds intriguing. After the experience I had with my onan and after trying to help a couple other folks, I wouldn't have one if it was given to me and installed for free.

The idea of losing power at a park hasn't been much of something I have had a lot of experience with in going on 5 years of full timing. There is the occasional storm issue and sometimes some one will take out a pole in a traffic collision but the power is always back on shortly. I also have pets and they have not had any problems at all depending on the same power grid as everyone else. I certainly wouldn't buy a gen set for the fear of losing shore power at a park.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
cptxguys

Mike,
I'd have to agree. The odds are very low that the shore power in an RV park will be lost. A generator is an expensive proposition.

Sorry to hear you didn't have much success with the Onan generator. Fortunately for us, that is not the case. We only have about 100 hours on it, but so far so good.

For us, we like having both the inverter and the generator, as it gives us the most flexibility (but of course, is the most expensive!). The inverter gives us AC power for quick overnights without the noise of the generator. However, it's a 'joke' when running high power units such as the AC. It will only run on the battery for 20 minutes before the generator would kick in. As a result, I've had them removed from the inverter and they will only work on shore power or generator power, but NOT the inverter.

The generator comes in handy when the batteries need to be recharged or where shore power is not available, such as tailgating...go Oklahoma State Cowboys! :-)
2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #17
lynn1952

If you would be happy with a 2004 model that is 33', we have just what you are looking for. I tried to send a PM, but am not sure it was successful. Ours is a 33RS3, and it has the Deluxe Suite interior ugrade, cinnamon maple woodwork, shower w/tub, surround sound, leather reclining loveseat, 10 cu ft refrigerator, three slide topper awnings, two patio awnings and much more. My husband has had a job change and thus the need to sell. This coach has been babied, stored inside except for occasional summertime camping trips, lovingly waxed and buffed at least once each season and we have had no kids, smoking or pets inside.
The shorter length makes it easier to maneuver and yet it seems very roomy inside. If you might be interested in taking a look, I can send pics of the entire unit.
:)
Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
32 feet

no matter what model youi get...ours is a36TK# get an option sheet, put it out to bid...all over the country....we had to drive 2,ooo miles to pick ours up but it saved us $11,000.00 dollars! We made 28 changes to our rig....some of them the dealers said could not be done or "oh, they won't do that"....research is the best thing. We love our rig it is our home...listen to all these GURU guys, they are soooo smart. Our friends are living in a 32 foot cameo carri lite..they are ready to go bigger. It definitely is not harder to park a 36 footer, but sometimes we find public campgrounds that we are too big for..state parks in some states. Right onow we are in a Forest Service park that says 35 ft...but we had no trouble. good luck
EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #19
Texan

We're serious

Took delivery of a 2008 Larime Mega cab today. Need a 32 Mobile Suites to go with it. 2008 or 2009 with most options (especially side to side) is our objective but not the goal post. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Texan
Old 09-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #20
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
oh wow

first are you full timing or snowbirding?
we are fulltimers. like i said before pick your options and then put it out to bid.
these are the changes that we made. we got a dinette instead of table and chairs..can't sit four at the table anyway..and we wanted storage under the benches where hubby put pull out drawers for canned goods etc.
then we had them put the windows so they were even in height and had the cupboards run the whole length of the slide over the dinette and recliners.
I am not too familiar with the 32 ft floor plan. but we ordered ours with no furniture and bought our couch and double recliner from lazy boy. it takes some measuring but it can be done...for us living in it..we wanted it to be different.
we had the "Lousiana Cut" on the main floor...linoleum all the way and we use pretty throw rugs. the said they had to carpet the slides...but i think
they just didn't know.
we did not save any money by not having them put in the combo waher dryer, and the generator. but we had that all pre wired and plmbed. we also had it prewired for solar and had them upgrade the wiring.
we have the 3000 watt inverter with four batteries...that is totally awesome. one the road everything just keeps running on electric. and we can watch tv at night without electric hookups.
slide covers definitely,wind sensor awning yippee!
no gas oven only convection..again more storage and i am learning the convection.
we eliminated the wall lights...there is plenty of lighting and this gave us a place to hang pictures and decorations.
the slide out tray underneath does take up some space...but it is awesome. this is a lot but i have more.........

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote