Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
waldmeer

SATELLITE TV HOOKUPS

We have spent our first week in our new Mobile Suites without use of my satellite service. Have set up on tripod with 2 LNB's which I have hooked to the SAT #1 and SAT #2 in the water and hook-up compartment.

NOW WHAT? there is only one TV signal connection at the living room and bedroom TV's. That is connected to the "Antenna" input on the TV.

I have the SONY Theater system. Do I need to work through that system and the Wingard switch to get a Satellite signal to the TV?

Contacted DVR and they sent me a couple of schematics that show numerous wire connections at the TV. Where TV's are located there is just the antenna connection.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

waldmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Which sat sys do you have?

I don't understand why you have two lines coming in.

If you have only one antenna then there should only be one in line.

What kind of signal are you showing?

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
rdunk

Ponch, actually, if he has a dual LNB, he should have a line off of each LNB - ie one line for the living room TV. and one for the bedroom TV. That is what I have. I assume his setup is not for High Definition.

waldmeer, I probably cannot help you very much, since my Suite was completely wired at the factory for both TV's. When I was using a tripod, I just ran two satellite input cables to the two "satellite" connectors in the "water box". Then, all I had to do was make the appropriate switch selection on the installed switch box in the TV cabinet - i.e. select cable, antenna, satellite.... The TV signal came right through. Note, one does have to make a "switch" selection for both the living room, and for the bedroom.

Do you have this box, and have you tried your TV with pushing the "satellite" select switch??

Good luck!!!!!!!!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
ponch

Robert I was basing it on mine ,prior to the HD, when I had the tripod.

I had two lnb's but only one line in. You are right about the two though because the bed room had to watch the same show as the living room. Forgot about that. lol
Air Safe Hitch
pressure pro
Old 09-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
waldmeer

SATELLITE TV HOOKUPS

I am using the Direct TV system. The two LNB's enable the TV in the bedroom to make selections different from the living room.

My MS has a Sony Theater System that the factory prewired for satellite. are there some special settings I need to make on the theater system as well as the winegard switch box? I hook up one LNB to the SAT1 and the other to the SAT 2 connector in the "Water Box" . Yes I am aware that the Winegard switch needs to be changed to SAT for each room.

My question is where and with what lines do I install the Direct TV box. IS that done at the TV or wired to go to the SONY theater system. Seems as if it has to be wired at the TV.

There is only one Signal wire/connector at each TV. Does that go to the DirectTV box and then out to the TV. Maybe my problem is in not knowing how to use the SONY Theater system.
waldmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
morscuba

You have a direct rcver for each tv right???
Old 09-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
BobW

Each LMB receives a signal from a different satellite. If you have Dish that would be 110 and 119. Your receiver separates the signal so you can see a different station on your bedroom TV.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
My question is where and with what lines do I install the Direct TV box. IS that done at the TV or wired to go to the SONY theater system. Seems as if it has to be wired at the TV.
The directv receiver boxes need to be wired in right after the wire comes out of the wall in the entertainment center then out of the directv box to the video selector box.
I hope this helps you.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
morscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW
Each LMB receives a signal from a different satellite. If you have Dish that would be 110 and 119. Your receiver separates the signal so you can see a different station on your bedroom TV.
Guess I got sold a "bill a goods". Direct tv told me I could not get different channels on the BR and LR TV at the same time without each tv having a box. I'm happy with the setup I have but guess next time I'll check it out a bit better.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
RonS

morscuba - You were told correctly you need a direct TV receiver for each TV, If you want to watch different channels at the same time.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
LindaH

Re: SATELLITE TV HOOKUPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldmeer
I am using the Direct TV system. The two LNB's enable the TV in the bedroom to make selections different from the living room.
That's not what two LNBs do. Two LNBs *see* two satellites at the same time. What you are talking about is a "dual" LNB; i.e., one LNB with two outputs at the bottom...one goes to one receiver, the other goes to another receiver. You can have a dish that has two LNBs, both of which are dual.

I'm not sure, however, why you have a dish with two LNBs for DirecTV. DirecTV SD programming uses only one satellite (101) and DirecTV HD programming uses 3 LNBs.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500
https://earl-linda.blogspot.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
rdunk

Maybe the technology has changed for HD - I have a "dual LNB" which receives both sat. 110, and 119, for Dish Network. And I have two cable outputs off of the dual-output LNB, each carrying both sat signals, one cable in for each TV.

No, one receiver will do two TV's, different channels. While two receivers may be better, Dish, and probably Direct also, has a primary receiver that will provide outputs to two TV's, and each TV can carry a different channel to watch. Just had one like that installed in my dad's home. With that system, two TV's, different channels, but no extra $5 bucks per month for a 2nd receiver. This set-up does work just fine! It is not a "PVR" (recording) type receiver.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
LindaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunk
No, one receiver will do two TV's, different channels.
Only for Dish Network. If you are a DirecTV subscriber and want to watch two different programs on two different TVs, you'll need a receiver for each TV.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500
https://earl-linda.blogspot.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Motor31

Double tree had a habit of using a signal splitter for the outside cable and satellite connections then run a single wire to the selector box. That's OK for cable but tends to drop the satellite off line. Try running a cable direct into the interior to the satellite box to check this. If you get a picture I'd bet the splitter is still there. I removed the splitter and just use one outside connection for either cable (never since we have satellite) or the ground mount dish if we are "tree blocked" with our spot.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
RonS

I also had to remove the splitter but one end of the splitter went to the basement cable outlet, and we dont have a basement TV so I just left the cable off. Everything works at least for now. When traveling seldom use the ground mount direct TV. But if the site has cable I just plug into the cable outlet in the water bay, and change the setting on the push button box to cable and all is well. I would like to have another direct TV receiver for the bedroom TV but dont know where to put it as we have a wall mounted TV and I dont want to leave one of te cabnet doors open to change channels. Did try to have box in living room set up to wireless channel switching thingey, but that was hit or miss so I took it back to Radio shack.
Called dish network as they have two TV off one receiver, and they came out, but would not touch an RV. Said to hard to run wires etc. So kept my direct TV one receiver one LBN and live with it.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
ponch

When I installed the HD TV's I put a receiver in the living room and a dual receiver in the bedroom.

One was for the HD in the basement and the other part of the dual was for the bedroom. That way I theoretically could watch three different programs on three different sets.

This is for Dish Network.

I installed the basement tv myself because the didn't pre wire the bassement until 06.

Air Safe Hitch
pressure pro