Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
billr

Broken Spring

We found a curb side fwd axle broken leaf spring when we arrived today. No issues towing or visible, until I did a routine look under to check out things.

It broke about 6" aft of the fwd hanger. The rest of the spring pack was pushed up inside the hanger against the broken stub at an angle against the frame.

We were very luck where it broke and it didn't go all out of wack and cause huge problems.

2005 38RL3 magnum susp
8K Dexter axles with Trailair CP
The spring that broke is on the lightest wheel. As scaled by Stacey.
Total axle wt 13500 lbs.
Total trailer wt loaded 17600 lbs

I am off in the AM in search of a new spring so I can change it out and get back on our way.

I spoke with the after hrs service guy at Lippert, and they can ship me one if I can't find one. No warranty coverage though. 2 yrs only. I thought 5yrs on frame and suspension, but he said only 2.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
JPHarris

Sorry for your troubles. At least they told you 2 year warranty. When I had my troubles with my frame Kent at DT told me I had a 2 year warranty but I had to deal with Lippert. When I called Lippert they said nope only 1 year on the frame. Good luck.

Cape May, NJ & Fort Myers, Fl. and anywhere else we decide to roam.
JPHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
rverdlm

FWIW, when I had leaf spring trailers I always carried a spare spring. In seven years of towing them I broke springs 3 times. Springs are cheap. Should be well under $50. There didn't seem to be any particular reason for the problem. I started carrying a spring after our caravan trip to AK. The company we went with would not let anyone start the trip without a spare spring as part of their emergency supplies. On that trip we changed as many springs as we did tires.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
billr

Was able to pick up a main leaf about 45 min away. Picked up a spare too! $36 ea. also got new u-bolts.

Not too bad a job, just lots of wood and a couple of jacks.

Just for good measure, the rear tire had a nail in it and my pressure pro went off this AM before I went to pick up the spring. So after finishing up the spring, off it came and headed to the tire shop to get it fixed.

Dave,
Good advice on a spare, we had to wait 2 days till the shops were open, then call all over to locate one. Interesting about the AK trip! Wow!

The break in the spring looked to be fatigue failure, was cracked for a while (dirty rusty partial crack, with a fresh break in about 20%)on the under side against the other leaf, where you would never see until it let go. Maybe a real close look at the edges of the springs may show the crack. It may not have gone that far before it let go.

Back on the road in the AM!! Heading for Martinsville VA for NASCAR.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Charlie and Sue

I just found a broken bolt, rear curb side spring eye bolt, half the bolt is missing and inside bracket is bent inward, will have to jack up unit and hopefully straighten bracket back in place. Called Kent and ordered all new bolts, should be here Thursday, heading for Fl. on Sunday. Hopefully. Check your units, it appears that half the bolt was worn away by rubbing on the vertical bracket.
Charlie and Sue
Charlie and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote