Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
Bed retro?

Is there anyone who has had the metal King size bed springframe and taken it out to change it over to ply wood. If So How did you do your supports out of wood and can you send pictures? We are considering doing this. Also does anyone know if the select comfort mattress weight is any differnt than a normal mattress?

Thanks
Janice

nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
jdwilson3

Janice, the Select Comfort bed has almost no weight to it at all. One person can carry the whole thing under one arm when boxed.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
bstark

If the plywood under-layment duplicates the steel framing profile exactly, the Select-Comfort mattress will fit with no overhanging anywhere and will also fit under the vanity when slideout comes in due to the lower height of the plywood from the much thicker steel tubing.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
rjohnsonnm

I don't have any pictures, but what I did was take the spring-supported nylon out and installed 1"X4" slats running from head to foot about 4" apart. I cut them in 2 pieces so the bed would raise up and attached them to the steel framing with screws. I only put them in the area where the frame was lower than the outside edges. I hated the middle of the bed being lower than the edges. Now it is flat all the away around the bed and it is much easier to get out of bed. I hope this makes some sort of sense.

By the way, the regular Select Comfort King Size bed is wider than the present mattress by about 4". You might be able to squeeze it in but it will be really hard to put the sheets on.
Ron
2004 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #0925
2011 F-350 Lariat Diesel Longbed
Albuquerque, NM
rjohnsonnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
rverdlm

I just removed the springs and the nylon material. I then cut pieces of luan (a thin, cheap plywood) to fit the metal frame and screwed them right to the metal frame. I left a gap at the spot where the bed frame bends so that the power lift head and the storage access works as before. We bought a California King SC mattress. It's a few inches longer than the original mattress, but when we bring the slides we just let the air out and the mattress just colapses with no problem.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
billr

We took the heavy iron frame out and replaced it with plywood supported at 5 spots with perforated angle across, hinged at the same location as original.
At least 80lbs saved in the change of just the frame vs plywood.

This was in prep for a SC bed, but after using it with the original mattress, we found it much better and held off for now on the SC. It was the bars in the metal frame that caused the discomfort for us.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
jdwilson3

Select Comfort

Check with Camping World. Select Comfort sells RV KING sized mattress thru them, they are listed as 70" X 80".
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
BigBoy2U

1x8 pine and NovaForm Mattress

I was about to slide 1x8 pine boards under the nylon to level it out. Those that have removed the nylon did you find that the "slats" on top of the metal bars was enough support? I dont like the spings and was going to do plywood but then noticed the bars dropped almost an inch. So next was to use 1x8's and I was going to silicone them to the bars to avoid screws and leave a 1/2 gap at the hinge joint. Also Costco has the NovaForm bladder mattress http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

They have the King and Cal King on sale for $779
2005 DT, MS 36CK3 #1566, 95 F-350, Full Timer
BigBoy2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
bed retro

Hi
Has anyone bought the Select Comfort from Camping World who has the metal frame and if so how does it work with the metal tab/bar at the foot where the old mattress tucks in behind it? This select comfort at 80 is actually a little longer then the mattress on the bed now, so did you cut that bar off?
Janice

nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote