Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
osiebosie

We hit a deer.

I didn't even see it.

We pulled the RV from home to Walmart to stay overnight, so we could hit the interstate easily tomorrow when we leave for Biloxi. We live w-a-y out in the country.

Well, George was driving slowly, and the poor young deer just came out of nowhere, on a hill. There was nothing to do. I didn't even see it, and it came from my side. It went under the front tires, back tires, and then the rv tires. It was AWFUL. I sobbed for ten minutes.

It didn't do any damage to the truck, none to the rv, however, there is a small mess to clean up off of the front of the rv and the left jack. At least it did not suffer.

What a way to end my birthday. And George feels horrible, although there was NO WAY to avoid it.

You know, this really brought home how heavy these rigs are, and how powerless we are to make a quick stop.

Sharon

SOITC Charter Member #2211
2005 36TK3 Mobile Suites
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel 3500 1-ton dually Allison Transmission
2 gorgeous dogs: Katie Mae and Broadway

and now... A Handsome New Grandson, Temple, born 3/26/2007 and weighing in at 9 lbs 10 ozs!!
osiebosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
bstark

Sharon: Try not to despair and think instead of how lucky you were not to have hit two or even three of them as they almost always travel together as a family unit. Where one comes up on the highway, very often another will run into your unit futher back.

A gentle creatures accidental death is never pleasant but still nevertheless unavoidable.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
osiebosie

Thanks. It still brings tears to my eyes. It was so awful.

There was only one, as we had to go home that way and saw it. But, yes, there are usually many more when one is to be seen. Same with turkeys, which have done very well out here since being introduced. There've been many many times I've just come to a complete stop in the road for a family to pass.

It really made us aware, again, how heavy we are while towing. Ever since we got the MS, I think twice about pulling out in front of an 18-wheeler, or even a large truck. I know they don't have the stopping capacity a car does. (However, we would not have missed that deer yesterday even in a car.) And I see cars weaving and cutting in front of big vehicles all the time. Makes me want to smack them.

Sharon
SOITC Charter Member #2211
2005 36TK3 Mobile Suites
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel 3500 1-ton dually Allison Transmission
2 gorgeous dogs: Katie Mae and Broadway

and now... A Handsome New Grandson, Temple, born 3/26/2007 and weighing in at 9 lbs 10 ozs!!
osiebosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

So sad--I cringe when I see dogs on the side of a busy highway, knowing what is soon to happen.

But, a bright spot is that you did not react as some will and try to miss the animal, causing maybe much more permanent harm to oneself.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Motor31

Be thankful that you are uninjured and no damage to the rig. There's not much you can do about deer except keep an eye out for them and avoid as best you can. I second the bit about not taking severe evasive moves with a rig, you are likely to end up in the ditch or worse. When it comes to saving the critter or yourselves. I vote for keeping people safe. I try to restrict our traveling to the middle of the day in deer country when they are less active. Early morning and late afternoon are heavy movement times for them. They also are not bright critters so they tend to do stupid things when faced with traffic.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
2 DA WDS

Try it on a motorcycle! You think you have a clear field of vision until the deer appears out of nowhere. Fortunately neither of us were injured badly. Lost a windshield and trunk and all I got was a bruise, pretty sure the deer had a headache. Looked in the mirror and saw 2 more running across the road!

2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote