Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
NTHEWIND

Hello From Tennessee

New to the forum, not really new to towing and RVing. We bought our truck and 5th Wheel toy hauler new in 2003. We have used the rig to haul our bikes to Daytona for Bike Week several times, used it to haul ATV's to ride areas. We are getting into 'semi-retiremnt' mode. We're planning a trip to Arizona in February. I joined this Forum for knowledge and information. I've got several things that need to be fixed before our trip. I am also looking for information about the possibility of double towing a 12' single axle enclosed trailer for a second UTV.
Thanks!

NTHEWIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.
Have never double-towed, so no help there. But length and state laws are going apply, there seems to be a lot of people who get away with over-length most of the time.
Certainly, beefing up the RV hitch is a no-brainer, and loading the small trailer very important for weight distribution.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #3
Notanlines

Tennessee, welcome to the forum. You don't say what your TV and RV are so we can't really help you as far as the triple-towing. We triple-tow on a regular basis and have no problems to speak of. However, we don't tow a 12 foot enclosed with one axle.
My first question is why you wouldn't just load your ATV into the toy hauler. If you plan on riding the bikes AND the ATV then I see the need.
Give us a little info and we'll go from there.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
NTHEWIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Tennessee, welcome to the forum. You don't say what your TV and RV are so we can't really help you as far as the triple-towing. We triple-tow on a regular basis and have no problems to speak of. However, we don't tow a 12 foot enclosed with one axle.
My first question is why you wouldn't just load your ATV into the toy hauler. If you plan on riding the bikes AND the ATV then I see the need.
Give us a little info and we'll go from there.
Hay hello fellow Tennesseen" OK first question, We need to bring 2 UTV's. I have a RZR that fits in the 5th wheel. My brother is joining us and we need to bring his machine. As of right now he has not bought anything, but looking at a Honda. I have been playing with specs on a trailer, but have not pulled the trigger. I have a picture in my profile, ( couldn't figure out how to link it here) The truck is a 2003 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 4 door Long (8') bed. 8.1 gas. Bought new. The trailer is a 2003 Tahoe 27'. no slides, nothing fancy. I have pulled/used this combo for years with no problems. I don't think with a 12 foot trailer we'll be over 65'. I am use to driving/towing because my wife and I drive truck for a living. (32 years together, millions of safe miles) RV towing is a whole different animal, I'll be the first to admit. Driving an 18 wheeler is easier than driving a pickup with a trailer. We kind of 'grew' into this by needing to get get our motorcycles to Florida for Bike Week, (we use to ride) and getting the off road toys to ride areas. The plan for the enclosed trailer is so my brother will have his own place to stay when we get to Arizona next winter, (instead of being in the 5th wheel). Being that you have towed double I am very interested in hearing from you.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

Sounds like you know what you are doing. My only thought would be to use a short length tandem axle for better towing stability.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
Notanlines

I see two problems with this setup. First, I believe your RV is a bumper pull, and second, you will have to have a welding/hitch shop install a relatively heavy hitch on the RV to handle any kind of cargo trailer. Triple towing with a bumper pull will require an excellent WDH and matching sway controls. People more knowledgeable than me can advise you on both.
Wingnut also brought up a very good point. I would not tow a single axle cargo trailer behind your RV.
Good luck to you!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
NTHEWIND

Notan, Thanks for the reply. I do have a 5th wheel toy hauler. I will consider a 2 axle 14 foot trailer. I need to check all my weights before I buy my trailer.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:15 AM   #8
Notanlines

I simply don't know where I got the idea that y'all were towing a bumper-pull. And this site doesn't allow editing. I'll try to read closer in the future.....