Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
terry and jo

Satellite Navigation Systems

I tried to find information on GPS units via the search engine, but it didn't show up any posts dedicated to "GPS". Tried "Satellite Navigation" as a search phrase and came up with 171 threads, but none seemed to be dedicated to satellite navigation.

So, when the search function fails to help me, I just start another thread and ask more questions. Jo and I just purchased a new SUV and it is not equipped with the onboard navigation system that our Explorer had.

1. What kind of systems are there and are there some I should avoid like the plague?

2. I've heard that some may allow downloading of applications for different things. So, is that statement true?

3. Are there any applications that would give information on overpass heights?

4. Or, would there be an internet site that would be better, especially for pre-planning of a route to avoid low clearances?

5. Do any of you have knowledge of the best GPS units to buy, and if so, why that brand/model?

6. Does any particular GPS file format work better or have more options than others?

7. Considering the future full-timing aspect of RV life, are there any STANDOUT brands/models that are a must have?

8. Are some units suitable to remove from a vehicle and carry on foot when hiking?

Thanks again for all the help.

Terry

Edit: Added more questions...

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
john

GPS

Terry,
Their are a couple of units made for truckers but after checking under their name/complaints I don't think I would pay the extra bucks. Too many unhappy customers.
Tom-Tom is good and even the middle price ones can be used while walking.
Garmin has a fairly good deal on upgrades as long as you own the unit. Others might have as good of a deal.
It still depends on how much you want to spend. Than do research on the one that looks good.
I found going to Google search and type in the product name/complaints is a lot of help.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Garmin by far has the best data base. all of the others lag behind.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Motor31

Keep in mind that no matter what GPS system you buy and use it is NOT infallible. Roads change all the time because of new construction so the data base will be out of date somewhere the day it is published.

The GPS is also not infallible for picking the best route. It may take you through downtown and or alleys to get to some location. Never depend on the GPS alone, have maps and confirm what it tells you for routing.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
hitchup

Not just maps, but new Road signs. Exits on Right instead of Left or Vice Versa. They change all the time.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
RickandJanice

We have a Garmin and really like it. You can purchase a lifetime upgrade that allows up to 4 upgrades per year. However, we still carry a road atlas and check it against the GPS as they do not always have the best routing or the very latest changes that may have occurred.

With Garmin, it depends on the type of system you buy as to what different maps you have or can install. There are foot maps available for some models and some even have truck information such as weight limits and low height clearance warnings. As with anything, the more options you want, the higher you need to go in models and price. Good luck with your search.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
terry and jo

After doing more reading of forum posts, we are re-thinking this satellite navigation situation. First, as some have commented, Microsoft Streets and Trips looks like a good thing to have for preplanning of ones trip, especially the version for RV's ($70 - see link below).

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-...sonsToBuy.aspx

As for the GPS unit itself, that will take a bit more research. The "hiking" versions of Garmins, while pretty impressive with topographical maps, is very pricey. But, I need to see if I can find a version of GPS that will notify of low bridges but can be taken out of the vehicle and be battery operated.

If I can find such a product, then both the GPS and the Streets and Trips could be helpful in finding large RV friendly fuel stops and such. While I will still appreciate anyone's input with suggestions or recommendations, we are not in a big hurry to get anything yet. After all, we're still in Oklahoma City and will be for a while, and we know the city pretty well.

One individual posted on another forum that as a safety precaution, not to program one's GPS with their home address. Should a thief break into one's vehicle to steal their GPS unit, while one is giving a crime report to the police, the thief is breaking into one's home. They suggested programming one's "home" setting as the local police department. Kind of makes sense, after all, other than being on the road, most of us know where "home" is located and wouldn't need GPS to find it.

Perhaps others of you have "tips" for GPS owners as well. If so, why not chime in with them.

Thanks again.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
john

GPS

I know where home is but how do I get there from where I might be. "Police Station" sounds good if the "bad guy" didn't attend the same talk as a lot of us did at the CO rally. :-).
Since the DW can't read a map the GPS has saved our marriage a long time ago...
Had the program for the computer....it works great but the navigator has to know how to work a computer. :-) Good for planning though.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Personally, I have two GPS units.
I have one for off highway with topographical maps, back track, ect. and I have a separate GPS for streets and highways.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote