Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #41
mavis1957

Porkchop - you questioned a percentage number and I assume you mean Hehr window owners overall However, I want to give you our percentage. We custom ordered our 2008 Carriage Carrilite and have 20 windows (4) are the overhead Arizona Room windows. We were the first year to receive the brand new (then) Hehr frameless dual pane windows. Our percentage fact is that at not quite 3 years later, 6 of our living area windows are VERY fogged up, ugly spotted with 2 that are in the beginning stages. Have you looked at Hehr's warranty for RV windows . . . 12 months from THEM to the INSTALLER which in this case would be Carriage, Inc. That is absolutely ridiculous! If they question the install by such a well known manufacturer, then perhaps they should have someone from their company onsite to do the installs on our rigs. Our problem began right after our two year warranty with Carriage. HAD it began before that warranty end, why should Carriage get stuck with the costs of replacement? Note, we have traveled less than 5,000 miles in 3 years. Shouldn't these windows stand up to normal use? Greg has built custom homes for many years with dual pane windows in Montana and they never had any such fogging problems. These are downright ugly and you know that we would not be able to sell our rig in this condition. A class action lawsuit is exactly what may be necessary. Look at the case of Carrier . . . they quit producing for the RV industry. Additionally, I do feel that Carriage and other manufacturers need to choose the components that go into these rigs a lot more carefully. For what it would cost us to replace all these windows without recourse, would have to seriously consider any legal remedies. The RV industry needs to know that a majority of the buyers are NOT the very wealthy buying a seldom used vacation rig. No . . . there are many of us that sold our homes and purchased our RV to live in full time through our retirement. We expect to have things that need to be fixed or replaced, but all the windows so soon after purchase? Thanks for listening guys, I tend to rattle on.

mavis1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #42
mavis1957

In reading my reply, I didn't address the PERCENTAGE aspect. 8 windows with fogging issues to date out of 20 total windows is 40 PERCENT that are malfunctioning.

mavis1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #43
edt

Send a message via AIM to edt
I would not have dual pane windows all seem to cloud up in a couple of years
Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #44
rotaxman

Windows

I had my 06 from August of 05 until July of 2010 and never had any problem with fogging they didn't close worth a damn you had to go outside and push them in after you cranked them down as tight as you dared. Once they were pushed in they did seal pretty well.

They never had condensation on the inside.

On this junk 09 the two big windows in the dinning room slide condensate in the lower front corners. I contribute that to a defective seal between the panes. I think I will have to replace those two windows to correct the problem. I'm currently in the process of trying to make a trade so I'm not doing any other repairs to the trailer until the verdict is in on the trade.

I would never have another trailer that did not have thermo pane windows even though the quality is not what is should be. I feel that they do make the trailer a little more comfortable.

I would say that it is a personal preference. They work for some and for others they don't

As always good camping

Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #45
porkchop

Mavis-Did you research the class action problem any? Doubtful you could find a lawyer to take the case. No money for them.Even if you could-each rver would get about enough in the end to buy a bottle of glass cleaner. They are not going to replace windows in a class action suit. You could hire your own lawyer, pay him in advance and MAYBE get new windows. In about 10 years.
I have thermopane windows in my house also. No problem. But I've never hauled my house down the road behind a truck. Has Greg? When he was building custom homes, who did the window manuf issue the warranty to? Greg. And when the warrenty expired did he replace stuff for free? You admit the product was almost 2 years out of warranty. And even if they had failed before your Carriage warranty was up, your window warranty had already expired. One year from the manuf. Period.
"We could all demand the manuf use another supplier" Who would that be? Anyone know of another manuf of thermopane windows for rv's?
I know nothing about Carriage, however, I have pulled this DRV down the road for more than 80,000 miles in the last 3 years. It has 10 windows. Every one is still in perfect condition. I have had 3 other 5rs over the years and put a like amount of miles on them. All had Hehr windows. Not 1 failure. Ever.
I still question the over all failure rate, not just in a single unit. I'll bet it is pretty low.
Maybe you are doing something to cause the high failure rate? Just asking. Expecially since you only travel an average of 1600 miles per year.? Just something to consider.
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #46
hitchup

We had over 2 1/2 years in our ES without any failed windows. We're going on the same timeframe with the frameless on the 2009.

We've had residential Thermopane windows fail and fog up after a year. But it was during the early 80's.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote