Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
rotaxman

Frame camber

Hello Everyone

I haven't posted here in several years but I feel that this is serious enough that I should let everyone know.

Like a complete dummy I traded off a perfectly good almost zero defect 06 36TK3 for a 2009 38TKSB3 I said I would never own another DRV unit but we found this floor plan that no one else had and we got a hell of a deal. Money not always being the best reason for making a choice.

I was on a schedule and had extenuating circumstances so when I went to get the trailer I pretty much blew off the PDI big mistake I know but like I said I had to get home as I had to pick Joyce up at the airport the next day. I had also encountered some water that looked as though it might get over the freeway so I wanted to get under the new one and get gone before the high water trapped me in Iowa. Not good if Joyce is waiting at the airport and I'm still in Iowa trying to get home with the new trailer.

When I got home I noticed that the dinning room slide was not in the hole I spent the next week trying to get the gap right on all sides of the slide it was not possible something was not right. I finally enlisted the help of a professional Paul Cross of Indiana Interstate Enterprise. I sent Paul an email last night and this morning he sent me one back telling me to go out and jack up the right rear corner of the trailer about two inches and see how the slide looked then. He said that he would bet it would be just right and he was right it set just perfect.

At this point he told me that the frame had lost it's camber. The spicesretirement bound had posted not to long ago about the same problem. I feel that anyone who is having slide fitting problems that can not be adjusted to meet spec, floor buckling problems or entrance doors not opening properly should look into the frame having loss of camber.

Paul explained to me that the trailer would need to be jacked up at the rear until all wheels were off the ground at this point the underbelly is removed and Lippert welds plates to the box frame tubing. The plates are 10 inches wide and 4 feet long and 070 thick they start just ahead of the front wheels and go to the back of the trailer on both sides.

Paul said that he has done several and I told him that I would probably have him do mine. I called Lippert and got a nice girl named Lisa who arranged for Lippert to come to my residence and perform the repair in my driveway. I was a little concerned about this driveway repair so I called Paul back and asked him about it. He told me that it would be just fine the same guys that do the repairs for him at his place travel all over the United States taking care of Lipperts problems. I had originally wanted Paul to do the welding but he said that it would void the warranty. As most everyone knows Lipperts welding leaves a lot to be desired. He went on to tell me that these two guys really know what they are doing so I'm a lot more at ease about the driveway repair.

Lippert will not be able to get here until around the 1st of August but it will save me a ton of money not having to pull it from Kansas City to Lagrange In.

I have worked everyday for the past 3 weeks about 10 hours a day correcting all of the Amish craftsmen mistakes and short cuts and DRV's dumb engineering mistakes. I am very confident that these people have never spent a day in an RV. I have encountered numerous screws with the heads twisted off and stuck back on with a little dab of silicone. I'm like Mike (Motor31) if I were having a house built and the contractor said he was going to use Amish craftsmen I would run him off. There is no such thing as an Amish craftsman in the RV industry.

If this repair fixes the trailer and I ever get done with all of the rebuilding of the trailer that should have been done at the factory it may be a fairly nice trailer. No matter how much work I do it will never be half the trailer my 06 was.

Sorry for the long post but I felt that everyone should be aware there has been some kind of change at Lippert and these frames are out there and could lead to some serious trouble if not fixed before they fail.

My pin number is 4750 and the unit was built in June of 08 I have trail air pin box with Tri glide and centerpoint which I had on my 06 I would't have a trailer without them. Paul told me that he hasn't had one with trail air have camber trouble so far just More ryde but if mine has it you can bet there are others as well.

I won't take up any more time on the forum with any further posts about this problem. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

One other thing if you have any trouble of any kind I highly recommend Paul Cross of Indiana Interstate Enterprise. He helped me really he told me what the problem was. He could have just said bring it up and we will fix it but he took an interest in my problem and got it diagnosed. He and his company are a stand up outfit.

As always good camping
Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
The Spices

camber issue

Good luck with the repair Rotaxman. Time will tell if our repair holds up and there are no associated issues.

We are dissatisfied with the level of quality control we have experienced on our unit. On the flip side, we have had nothing but good experiences from the customer service folks (Ryan Miller, Charles Coleman and Greg Weldon) at DRV. Charles is no longer there.

I would just like to add that Paul Cross was the one who diagnosed our problem as well. He and his guys took care of a number of other problems we were having. They are a DRV authorized warranty repair facility. I have complete confidence in Paul and his crew. Paul worked for DRV for 5 years before going out on his own. He knows these units inside and out. If DRV was smart, they would hire Paul to run the production line (if he would do it). The quality of the end product would be much higher and would undoubtedly lead DRV products to the top.

the spices

Former - 2010 MS 36RS3 w/ MorRyde IS and pinbox, Mag susp., Level Up plus a number of custom mods. 600 watt AM Solar
2012 F450 King Ranch with Classy Chassis hauler bed conversion, Trailsaver
The Spices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
hitchup

Ours is #4837, so was built after yours. Same frame, but different interior plan. Will watch for the problem.

We've had Lippert send a tech out to take care of a bad motor on the stove lift on our 2006 ES. Long drive to S.Ohio and then he couldn't use the new motor or repair our's onsite. But he took it with him, repaired and shipped it right back to us.

I noticed the cabinet door hinges don't fit at well on our 2009 MS as they did on the 2006 ES. But it's minor and they haven't caused us a problem, yet. But overall have been happy with it.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
bstark

Jerry; very sorry to hear of your problems. You are right on the money with Paul Cross. All of us who own one of these things should have his name and phone number on speed dial!

We harken back to the early days of this forum and it's darker days when the exchange of information detailing faults with these rigs in an attempt to educate and find answers would often bring a harangue of epic proportions from a few cheerleading zealots. Thank goodness those days are gone and the zealots along with them.

We are finished with the RV'ing game now as we've bought a snowbird place in Florida and have already sold the truck. Doing battle on the interstates just hasn't been the fun it used to be.

I wish you and Joyce a complete and satisfactory resolution to this latest 'speed-bump' and for your trailer to give you years of unrestricted enjoyment. Godspeed.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
Jack in Alaska

Paul Cross

We had dealings with Paul when he still worked at the factory and just before quitting to start his business.
He is a wealth of knowledge on DRV products. He helped us out on our unit after it's shake down trip to Cancun. We shook it down alright and Paul put it back together at the factory all at no charge.
Good luck to Paul in his business.

Jack in Alaska

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote