Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
layne

electrical short in 12 volt

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Here's the problem:

No light above the bed (dimmer) noticed first. Then no power to awning and 12 lights in basement. Fuse blown in box--red light on the one that says "awning". Changed light bulbs above bed first, still no llights. Disconnected wires to awning motor and checked all light bulbs in basement. Greg from factory said to check for anything that looked burned. Nothing that I can see looks burned. Everytime I try to put in a new fuse, it sparks and blows before I can even get it put in. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Motor31

No certain ideas of where to look. It sounds like there was some chafing of wires in the 12 volt loom near the fuse box. I say there as that is the only place I see wires from those items getting in close contact. I'd guess that you have a direct short in those two wires from rubbing. You are lucky is was in a spot after the fuse box or you would likely have had a fire.

If you can get into the area of the fuse box from behind it, look for wires in contact. You might have to remove the coat closet to look at the wires ascending from the fuse box before they split to different sides of the trailer.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
morscuba

Look behind each one of the switch plates. check the grounds.. Happened to me once on a 12 volt switch. The ground had come disconntected and was blowing a fuse because it was touching the hot lead it affected 2 other 12v appliances. If that doesnt produce any results I'd look at the connection at the light or appliance itself.