Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Field Trip

Power Management Issue

The past two RV parks we’ve been at the 50-amp circuit breaker has tripped. Several times in each location. This has resulted in us monitoring the panel to ensure that we don’t get over 50 amps, shutting down various appliances. Checked the park circuit breaker & it’s OK.

I maybe mistaken, but I was under the impression that these units Power Control Management system monitored amperage usage, and automatically balancing the output by shedding the appliance until the amperage is available. Am I wrong?

We have a 2016 ES Houston with these main appliances: 3 AC’s, dishwasher, convection oven/microwave, induction cooktop, washer, and a dryer (220 volt). We have the Surge Guard & Power Control Management system. We also use a Hughes Autoformer. We’ve had the unit over a year now.

Thoughts?

Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
GlennWest

Personally I believe manufactures that insist on 3 acs ought to look into more efficient units. Mini splits could be used in our campers. 2 1 ton 110v units will run on a single 15 amp breaker. They use inverter compressors that only use current needed for cooling. Planning on changing mine.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennWest View Post
..... Mini splits could be used in our campers. ..... Planning on changing mine.
Where/how would you mount the condenser unit?
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
GlennWest

My plans are to build a platform out the back of my Teton, where a trailer hitch would be if mine had one. Run lines, drains, etc to center of camper where my water pump and such are. That area is enclosed but accessible. Mount interior unit on wall above. I will have to do a ceiling mount in bedroom. Intend to do this later this year. There are some tt's and bus conversions doing this now. They love them. One with buss had 2 separate 110 1 ton units and says it brings it down to 68 in weather of <100. Both on 1 15amp breaker. I may use 2. Believe their is room for both at rear if I remove ladder. regardless will need 2 interior units. Have not found a 2 interior unit on 110v yet. Wanting to stay 110v but one doesn't have to. Rv manufacturers are hard to change ways that work even if it is better. Instead of energy management build a more economical unit
Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Field Trip

Received the below last night from George Cepynsky of Precision Circuits re my question:

"The Power Control System in the DRV does NOT perform shedding at 50A service. It should display "50A" and the Amp Display should go blank.

Below is the link to our site and the operational manual

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...em-Mini-D1.pdf

George"
Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote