Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Beachgirl

New Truck for the MS 38 RSSB3!

We bought our truck! We hunted far and wide, all along the Gulf Coast, down into Florida, and finally into Texas. We wound up buying it in Dallas from Vandergriff Chevrolet. We especially appreciated Randy Riley there...he responded to our query with a 'Here's a truck, here's the price". No hassle, no haggle, met the price we had thru USAA's car buying service. Actually, he beat it. :)

So! The deal! 2011 Chevy 3500HD DRW Crew Cab, Duramax diesel, Allison transmission, all the pkgs, leather seats, and room for 6 people. Tow ratings definitely exceed the Mobile Suites, and all the weights are well within rated ranges ( ie, rear axle vs pin weight, Gross combined, etc.)

So I owe a great big thank you for Lindy/Delaine, Terry and Jo, and all the rest of you who helped me get to this point.

We didn't get the bed liner, thanks to your input. Hubbie is wondering about the spray in liner. But we have to get rails, and install the TrailSaver hitch before we really know what's what. :)

So exciting!! We pick the truck up on the 14th.

Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Congratulations on getting a great truck.
Its your call, but I am a firm believer in the spray-in liners--would not be without one.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
rdunk

The Linex spray-in bedliners are great. I have had two, on two different trucks, and if I were buying a new truck, I would have another. A little pricey, but well worth the difference. I had my last one done in McKinney TX. They spray the bed, the rails, and the inside of the tailgate. Also, they take out the bed-bolts, spray in the liner, and then replace the bolts. Linex does have a nice warranty, if there happens to be a problem with the liner.

In my opinion, you really need to get the spray-in liner done, before you have the hitch installed. With this type of liner, the hitch rails just screw down on top of the liner - no problem.

Also, sounds like you are getting a really nice truck. Congrats, even if it is not a Ford F350 - lol lol

Robert
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
terry and jo

Well, congratulations to Beachgirl and Capt. Ducks on the new truck. I would be careful on the rails, though, if you are talking about rails on top of the sides of the bed. The reason I mention that is because I remember reading somewhere that the height of the new 3500 DRW has an issue with clearance for the fifth wheel.

I'll try to see if I can find where I read that. I thought it was on either SOITC's website or here on Fifth Wheel Forums. If I find it, I'll post again with the links.

EDIT: OK. Now that I think about it, perhaps you are talking about the rails for the fifth wheel. I'll wait for a reply before I do much looking for height issues. After all, I am at work.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Beachgirl

I am talking about the hitch rails. :)

So you get it sprayed before or after rails? And this eliminates the rust/ decay issues that the liners have, yes?

Terry, I think the MS/ Chevy bed height issue may be a concern, but I understand that TrailSaver can send you some sort of extenders to fix that. Extenders wasn't the word, but I've forgotten what they are called, lol.

So much knowledge on this forum! I am so grateful that y'all are willing to share it. :) Thank you Joe and Robert re: the spray in. Let me know anything else I should do, especially anything we should do before we have that hitch put in. Like, we want to add storage and a tonneau cover. Any guidance there?

I am planning on buying Capt Ducks a small engine hoist to make getting the hitch in and out easier.

Is the hitch and/or rails something we can do ourselves?

Thanks again in advance!
Beachgirl
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Beachgirl

Spacers, they're called spacers, lol. The View posted about them.

Would be great if I got the right size from the get go...I'll ask TrailSaver about it...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
RickandJanice

Congratulations on the new truck. I would also recommend you get a spray in bed liner and have it sprayed before you install the hitch. This will protect the bed under the hitch. We have the Scorpion brand that is now 4 years old and still shines like new. Have seen LineX and like the looks of it also, has less texture than the Scorpion. Rhino brand tends to get dull with age which I don't like.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Beachgirl,
I have an engine hoist to lift out my Companion (too lazy to take it apart) and the extended hoist beam is about 12" too short to get the hitch centered to set it down. I just mention this so you can check the reach of the beam...you might end up wrestling it further in, or getting a longer beam made, but not a big deal.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
RodeWorthy

Congrats on the new truck. I would really like to have a new Chevy but my '08 only has 36,000 miles on it. They have really beefed up the specs on your truck and it will be a superb tow vehicle for Suites. Mine is great - yours will be that much better.

By all means get the bed sprayed before adding the hitch. I have Linex and very pleased with it. Very rugged product. There are bedliner cleaners that make it look like new if it gets dull. About an hour of work applying it and it looks like new.

I use and recommend Husky Fifth Wheel Base Rails and Brackets. They are very rugged. Unless you are very mechanically minded do not attempt to install the hitch rails yourself. They must be placed precisely (slightly ahead of the real axle centerline) to maintain the right weight distribution in your truck. Get an experienced installer to do that work. It may be necessary to drill holes in your truck frame and you want that done right the first time. Make sure you and the installer have the same understanding as to how the hitch will be installed before the work is done.

The risers or spacers from TrailerSaver come in 2" or 3" heights. You will need the 3" at least. I wish they would make a 4" riser. I had my trailer "tubed" at Mor/ryde and that raised the trailer 2". We extended the gooseneck to fully extended position. We are level and have about 5" clearance above the bed rails. I would like to have 6". If I fabricate a new riser (spacer) to 4" I can raise my axles 1" by using the auxilliary mounting holes. Note that I have Mor/ryde IS axles. Have not found a need to do this yet. If I get into a place where I need extra bed clearance to get into a site (there have been a few) I can add air to the Trailersaver and raise it to over 7" above the rails. Have had to do this 3 times in 3 years. The 5" clearance has not been a problem travelling on the road. It is only in unusual situations that more clearance is necessary. Make sure you have a 12V compressor available to add air to the hitch. A small inexpensive Canadian Tire unit works for me. Similar products available at Harbor Freight or auto part stores.

What are you doing for a brake controller? If you ordered the truck onboard brake controller option it can be used for the Suites electric/hydraulic disk brakes with the addition of a module available from the brake actuator manufacturer (Dexter). I had to modify the wiring in my truck in order to use a 3rd party brake controller (PS3). At the time the module to use the onboard controller was not available. The PS3 has worked well for me.

You have done a good job researching and asking questions. You will soon be rewarded with great times in the new rig. Enjoy!

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
rdunk

Quote: "So you get it sprayed before or after rails? And this eliminates the rust/ decay issues that the liners have, yes?"

Yes, have the spray-in liner put in before the hitch rails are installed.

When you have the Reese type hitch rails installed, make sure they put bolts in the middle of each rail also, just for added stress protection. (some installers only put them on each end of the rails).

FWIW, when I bought my TrailerSaver "rigid hitch", TrailerSaver would increase the weight rating of the hitch by several thousand pounds, (either 2000 lbs or 4000 lbs, I don't remember which), if the installation included bolts in the center holes of the rails!!!!!!!!!!! So, that does assure us that center rail bolts surely means added strength for the installation, and for safety while towing!!

Good luck

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Beachgirl

Rodeworthy,

I had no idea of where or what rails to get, so thank you! Not even sure of who to get to install the hitch/ rails, lol. I see that the dealer we bought out TT from carries the Husky rails. But I'll first call the dealer we are buying the MS from- he might have all this hitch stuff covered. :)

And I've made note to install bolts in the center of the rails as well. Thank you Rdunk!

We did get the heavy duty trailering pkg that includes an onboard, integrated brake controller. I thought that was complete in itself. So will have to research that one.

I'll also have Capt Ducks call TrailSaver and inquire about sending those 3" spacers when they ship the hitch.

I found a Line-X dealer not too far from us. So I plan to get the liner sprayed in, then have the hitch installed.

The home stretch is in view! I have visions of this summer dancing in my head, lol.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
Cheif 2

Beachgirl,
I have to ask, did you check with Trailair regarding the suspension in your new 5'r? If memory serves me correctly the issue was that the Chevy truck bed height was causing the front of the 5'r to ride to high and would not allow the camper to be towed level. Adding spaces to the hitch is only going to increase that angle. By not towing a level unit you will have serious handling and braking problems. Please let us know what you discover.
Chief 2
Old 01-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
RodeWorthy

Clarification on hitch mount

To clarify the information on the "spacers" for the TrailerSaver. This portion of the hitch assembly is a required base assembly and is not an extra. It comes in two heights -- 2" and 3". Beachgirl will require the 3" version as a minimum due to the height of the bed rails in the Chevy. Even the 3" height will provide only minimum clearance for the trailer.

With regard to the trailer not being level when hitched with this combination you can't fix this at the hitch. It may be necessary to alter the spring mounts or otherwise raise the trailer at the axle to attain the level conditon. The entire rig should be considered when installing the hitch. A good installer will be able to optimize the final installation. TrailAir Service in Goshen, IN (800) 998-4238 may be able to provide info on how to reconfigure the axle mounting for this purpose.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
Cheif 2

I recommended back on 12-28 on a different post that they should contact Trailaire regarding the suspension modification. See below.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capt. Ducks,
Before you take the plunge on the Chevy/GMC you really need to check with DRV and Trailare regarding the camper suspension height to the truck. I have run into a couple of people who have had to have the suspension modified on the camper to allow for level towing. This is a result of the newer Chevy beds being higher and the hitch height being effected. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
rdunk

Beachgirl Quote - I see that the dealer we bought out TT from carries the Husky rails. But I'll first call the dealer we are buying the MS from- he might have all this hitch stuff covered." :)
.................................................. ......
Yes, installation of the hitch, including the rails, should be included in your Suites sale package. Most dealers will probably have the Reese rails in stock, and they will work just fine.

Note, you likely will not know for sure what the truck bedrail to 5er spacing is going to be, until the dealer gets the hitch installed, and the weight of the pin is on the truck. But if your hitch installer knows what he is doing, he can make a pretty good guess regarding your need for spacers, as he installs the hitch. RodeWorthy is probably right about the spacing needed.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
rotaxman

Intergreated brake controller

Beachgirl

In regard to your integrated brake controller on your new Chevy you will need to get DRV to install the HBA-CAM on your trailer before the controller will work with brakes on your new trailer.

My friend jimlock here on the forum just got a 2011 3500 about two months ago and was very very disappointed when he backed under his 07 and the controller informed him that he did not have a trailer attached to the truck.

He called LeeAnn Thomas at DRV on my advise she is a very good parts person and she fixed him up with HBA-CAM for about 90.00 he installed it and problem was solved.

Another DRV short cut they either need to install the HBA-CAM on all of their units or find a vendor that can supply a actuator that will work with the brake controllers on the new trucks. I'm sure that the extra hundred bucks that DRV will have to charge for this would not be a deal maker or breaker but it will certainly make for a lot less customer aggravation. Which is of no concern to DRV what so ever

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
Beachgirl

Thank you all for your replies. I do remember that the new Chevy3500 was featured on the cover of Trailer Life with a Mobile Suites. I am thus supposing that somehow this truck/ trailer combo will work, leveling- wise.

Way beyond my paygrade, tho, lol. I freely admit to being bewildered and overwhelmed in this particular area, which is why God made husbands! LOL

But I am passing this entire thread over to Capt Ducks, who flew F14s for a living, and thus can do anything. ;)

And I have an email in to Butch at RVSFORLESS, who is my dealer.

We already bought that truck. It's a done deal. We gotta make it work! LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
Beachgirl

Jerry,

Thank you for the heads up on the actuator needing to be on the trailer. Since we are just beginning production, that should be an easy mod. I'll ask Kyle at DRV about it, and copy this post to him. Thank you so much!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
The View 5046

When we ordered the 2010 MS we had the Actuator if thats what its called because we had a 2008 Chevy 3500HD. But we are using a Prodigy with the Freightliner. I believe it cost a $100.00, guess it would work, I do know the disk brakes do work.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #20
terry and jo

While I am far from an expert on the matters of brake controllers, when we ordered out 2010, the dealer ordered our HBA-CAM or whatever. It may be that the parts could be different for different brands of trucks. That might be why DRV doesn't install any particular HBA-CAM, since they may not know what trucks will be used for towing the coach.

While conducting all my research reading I know that I read a lot of posts about there being problems with the Ford integrated braking system and the electric-over-hydraulic system that DRV puts on their units.

At the same time, I don't recall any issues with other brands of trucks being discussed at the time. In my research and contacts with DRV reps, I was initially told that when we ordered, we could order with the Dexter axles and the issue would be solved. Before we actually ordered, I received word that DRV had gone to the Carlisle system and that all was needed was the HBA-CAM to solve the problem.

When we picked up our 2010 to start with, they hadn't gotten the "cam" in and they were on back-order. So we took it home anyway so we could start learning about the DRV's and its different systems. We initially got the "trailer not hooked" message. After getting the HBA-CAM in and installed, no messages and all the brakes work fine. No problems.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote