Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
wingnut60
Site Team

drawer slides

I know that I have seen some info on the drawer slides, but using the search doesn't bring anything up, just bunch of unrelated threads.

I have the upper right drawer in the bedroom not staying in while traveling, the plastic retainer is broken. When I took the drawer out and the slide in the cabinet, lost all the bearings. Anyone know which/where a replacement is that is close? Have the same problem under the fridge.

Thanks,
Joe

Guess its time for things to start wearing out.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Gemstone

You should be able to take the old slide to Lowes or Home Depot and find a replacement set. Get the heaviest you can find. The closure clip can be found on line.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Motor31

I have replaced about half of the drawer slides on our rig already because of failures. If you start seeing little ball bearings showing up on the floor you are losing one of the glides. I found replacements at home depot and leows. I habve had the best luck at home depot as they normally have all of the hardware for the glides and a good selection of sizes (length).

The cheezy clips I have only seen at RV supply houses and those little bits of plastic are very expensive. Must be one hell of a markup on it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Gemstone

Great price on the cheesy clip here: http://www.rvpartsdealer.com/p-75407...ush-latch.aspx

Drawer slides here: http://www.bellrpg.net/grandrapidsrv...RI=019&SEC=101 Or Home Depot.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Motor31

Cheezy clip link no workey. Mouse musta stolen the cheese. Second link shows the clips and entire latch. They want $4 per catch, my guess is that's about a 500% markup at the least.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Gemstone

You're probably correct on the mark up, but at $4.00, that is the cheapest I've ever seen them.....
Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
bstark

Joe; regarding the plastic 'grabber' drawer/cabinet latch: there are two fixed hook sizes one being broader than the other that will allow you to position the hook portion on the underside of the drawer using screw holes at a wider stance and the body of the hook portion is slightly stronger. The downside is the drawer front in some cases will have a slight gap from the cabient facing due to that 'extra' plastic. When replacing make absolutely certain the two items align exactly as any distortion caused to either part when drawers/doors are closed weakens them quickly. When opening drawers you have to get into a habit of pulling the drawer straight out as any sideways or up/down pulling ALSO will weaken them.

Your drawer under the fridge is probably being used for heavier items as it's depth lends itself to pot storage etc., so an audit of the mounting method for that drawer will probably show it needs better side supports to prevent the mass of the rear of the drawer when loaded from moving fore and aft under stop and go events, which in turn ruins the glides and latches. I found mounting two of the old fashioned screen door type of latches (steel probe/spring loaded rubber rolllers) to the sides of the drawer about halfway up worked to solve issues with opening while underway. I also bolstered the rear mounting system of most of my drawers in the trailer with firmer set-up as almost all of them allowed the entire rear mounting framework to 'float' around while travelling.

Great projects to keep you busy while parked somewhere for an extended stay. You don't need to golf EVERY day! Haaar!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
5thwheeler

Links OK Now

Fixed Gemstone's Links
I removed the "." at the end of the URL
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Red Ram

I might add while you have the drawers out, it is a good time to reinforce the bottoms. They have only a thin peice of vener wood that will come out of the groove in the side of the drawer if you have a heavy load in it.

I re-did all 22 drawers and the 4 dinning room chairs with strips of hard wood fixed accross the bottom of the drawers and attached them with brads into the front and rear of the drawer. They will take 2 times the weight now. Next I am going to replace the pantry shelves with 3/4" oak. One of the originals has already came apart..to many cans of beans I guess.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

drawer slides

Thanks for all the replies--continue to be amazed at the help/advice/experience with Suites available on this forum. Has really helped the last 3 years.

I have found that the slides are pretty common, and I got a replacement locally. The drawer is operating again, but have not figured out how to make them REALLY stay closed on bad left/right curves/bumps--the catches don't seem to hold good.

Have not had any of the drawers try to come apart internally, but will keep an eye out--the one I just worked on had the heaviest load--several CG directories and various maps/books we had collected over many years. My wife has now distributed the load somewhat to other drawers.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote