Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Cummins12V98

Dump valves how "I" like them!

Sick and tired of the cable valves that simply are designed to fail!

I replaced the Black Tank Valve with a standard "T" handle Valterra unit. Only negative was I had to open the basement and remove a couple storage bins to open and close the valve every time I flushed the tank.

Then recently the grey tank valve stopped closing. So on the down stream side of the box under the RV I added 3" and 1.5" valves. That worked fine until I closed the new 1.5" valve for a couple days and discovered the cable valve I left open was leaking, GRRRR.

So I decided to eliminate the 1.5" valve and cut a access hole in the bottom of the plastic box. Then decided to simply replace the valve and have it MUCH more accessible than the one I had installed.

I eye balled where the blade/handle housing would exit the plastic pan and cut a hole and slid the new valve it. It's VERY easy to access along with the 3" valve now. I just leave the two extra valves open now. I used an Utility Knife with sharp blade.

As you can see the JackHoles ran the Gas Pipe right over the box's fasteners that is why I cut the access hole. Actually glad I did. I used 1.5" x .75" strips of plywood for backing to patch the hole. Used Permatex "The Right Stuff" for sealant.

First fix below in first pic.

I turned the 1.5" valve horizontal and leave it open, easier than patching back the ABS and eliminating it.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Joezilla

So, your original cable valves are still in operation or not? Or are the original cable valves the ones you now leave open all the time? I'm so easily confused. I did my Social Security/Medicare paperwork this week.

Joe

Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Cummins12V98

The 3" cable valve is replaced with a standard "T" handle valve, it stays open. It's near the water filter. I now use the one added just outside the plastic pan.

The grey tank cable valve is replaced with a "T" valve that is sticking out of the pan in last pic. I had added a "T" valve next to the 3" outside the pan but now it is left open and the "T" handle is now rotated to the back.

This process took place over a couple years.

To do it right simply replace the 1.5" grey tank valve with a "T" handle valve as shown in the last pic.

For the 3" simply leave it open and add the 3" just outside the plastic pan.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote