Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
oldbird

HEHR windows

My three big windows are going bad, very bad. Can any body recommend a place for replacement? I suppose they are expensive!

Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
netjam

I got my Hehrs directly from DRV. When I needed replacements for my Lipperts (Kinro) I went to the trailer manufacturer as well. Lippert would not sell windows directly to a consumer. (not sure if Hehr will deal directly with end user) For installation I used a local window place.....yes not cheap for windows or labor.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
missourijan

You don't have to replace, there are repair places RVFogDr in Searcy, AR, Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL, Dave Root RV Glass Repair, Bend, OR and Auto Glass Boss in Phoenix/Yuma. Those have been mentioned on various forums and have warranties
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Long time ago, had to replace most of mine due to bad fogging--DRV handled it and Hehr sent me the windows. I installed them myself. That was about 5 years ago, and not too long after, they began fogging again. I have just given up and now just consider myself to be in a fog most of the time.
I have heard $85/window mentioned for one of the unfogging places to fix.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
oldbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
I got my Hehrs directly from DRV. When I needed replacements for my Lipperts (Kinro) I went to the trailer manufacturer as well. Lippert would not sell windows directly to a consumer. (not sure if Hehr will deal directly with end user) For installation I used a local window place.....yes not cheap for windows or labor.
I sent Hehrs a email to a place in MI that I will be in a month or so. I'll post if I get a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
You don't have to replace, there are repair places RVFogDr in Searcy, AR, Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL, Dave Root RV Glass Repair, Bend, OR and Auto Glass Boss in Phoenix/Yuma. Those have been mentioned on various forums and have warranties
This is good to know, I winter in AZ and will check out Auto Glass Boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Long time ago, had to replace most of mine due to bad fogging--DRV handled it and Hehr sent me the windows. I installed them myself. That was about 5 years ago, and not too long after, they began fogging again. I have just given up and now just consider myself to be in a fog most of the time.
I have heard $85/window mentioned for one of the unfogging places to fix.
Joe
I wouldn't know the first thing about replacing the windows, sounds like your pretty handy Joe! I'll rebuild your truck, you put windows in my MS, how's that? LOL But really, that's not right! They know these windows are crap but yet they keep using them? You must be beside yourself having them fog after you did all that work!! Bad windows, add another 10 grand to the price!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

With a Ford, will keep that offer in mind--could have used you last June when I dropped a valve.
Taking the windows out and replacing them isn't as hard as it sounds--they come out from the outside and the only tough one is the big rear picture window. That place in Bend, OR, sells a DIY kit for the windows, might check them out.
Joe
Old 05-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
oldbird

Thanks Joe, I'll stay in the 'fog' until next winter in AZ. Its nice to get this info!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 06-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
wwc

Fogging windows

I have now sold my 2006 MS, but I will still pass this along. I will give you my experience and you can take it for what it is worth. I had both large side windows and the large rear window that were fogged. While in Yuma,AZ in February 2015 I called Auto Glass of Phoenix-Yuma. I explained to them that I would like to get all three of the large windows fixed. Took about 4 or 5 days, for them to send tech out. Now I had replaced these windows once when Hehr was replacing the glass for free. I knew how they were taken out, however the guy from Auto Glass explained that they did not take the window out from the outside. They had this tool where they tried to cut the seal around the window from the inside. The tech kept breaking blades and said he had never seen a seal that tough. Also told me that he had never taken a window out from the outside. Finally he had to take it out from the outside. After about 4 hours, finally got one window sealed and replaced, however by then Auto Glass had called and had a rush job for him. I was told that they would return next day to fix the other windows. I paid l00 dollars for that one window and never heard from Auto Glass again. To make it worse, before we arrived back home in South Carolina that window had once again fogged up. Again I am not telling anyone what to do, just telling you about my experience.
WWC
wwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Just to be clear--is Auto Glass Yuma/Phoenix the same as Auto Glass Boss of Yuma/Phoenix?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
wwc

fogging windows

Hi wingnut60. It is and was at the time my understanding that I was using Auto Glass Boss Yuma-Phoenix. Now right now I am not at the location where I have the paid receipt, so I will not say for l00 percent that it is Auto-glass Boss, but I am 99 percent sure.
I will say there was someone on this forum that had used them and that is where I got their name. However the person on this forum to the best of my memory, said that the owner came and did his work. That was not the case in my situation, as I had one of the workers.
I will say this, I would be surprised if there is two separate glass companies in the Phoenix-Yuma with names that close, with one being Auto-Glass and another being Auto-Glass Boss.
To say that I was not happy with their work would be a gross understatement.
WWC
wwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
My three big windows are going bad, very bad. Can any body recommend a place for replacement? I suppose they are expensive!
Contact Greg Vaughn at DRV. They will sell to you at a reasonable price. You get the right windows that way.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
oldbird

Sooo, what's a guy to do? Live with it like Joe? Now that I've been in this thing for a month straight now I'm seeing all kinds of stuff. What is really bothering me is the refrigerator.Things will not freeze solid in the freezer if you have it turned down enough to stop things from freezing in the bottom section! But I guess that's another thread!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 06-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #13
Cummins12V98

Fridge is in slide right? Open top vent and look down there are large voids around the cooling fans. I packed insulation in those voids. I believe I placed insulation and some way to hold it at the top. I mounted a small axial fan behind the top vent and had it attached to a switch. You will be amazed at how well the unit will work.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
oldbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Fridge is in slide right? Open top vent and look down there are large voids around the cooling fans. I packed insulation in those voids. I believe I placed insulation and some way to hold it at the top. I mounted a small axial fan behind the top vent and had it attached to a switch. You will be amazed at how well the unit will work.
Yes, its in a slide. Its a four door dometic (sp). I had it worked on in AZ before leaving over a month ago because it would stop working on propane. New circuit board, flu cleaned out, etc but it didn't change anything. It will run on propane for ten-twelve hours which is good enough when driving. I have looked down there and yes, there is a big void. I think that's a good idea of putting insulation down there, I'll have to try that. At first I think I'll try the insulation just at the top behind the freezer because I run the refri on #1. If I try a higher setting things will freeze in the bottom section. You lost me on the small axial fan, how did you mount that? Thanks
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #15
wingnut60
Site Team

Glenn,
Your fridge should be similar to mine--Dometic RM1292 or close--and it generally is a good working unit. First item to consider is the thermistor located on the interior fridge coils--should be located on one of the fins-- that can be moved upward/downward. This is the first method of adjusting the inside temps. Can't remember which direction moves the temps up or down...you can also disconnect this thermistor and the fridge should default to coldest setting possible where just about everything in the freezer and fridge would freeze. If you do this, and it gets really cold, the fridge is working ok. Be aware, you probably will never get hard ice cream with this unit...
If fridge shows to be able to get real cold, then the next area to check is the venting of heat away from the coils--this is a drawback to slide-located fridges, the top-vented ones are much better at natural air movement due to convection currents. When the air has to make a right-angle turn to get out the upper vent, it slows down the movement and gets warmer in that area. Also, in the upper vent area there should be an auto-operating thermostat switch located at the upper left top of the coils ( a small gadget with 2 wires--one in, one out) that controls a vent fan that is most likely located down lower where it almost can't be seen because you can't get your head into the opening to look down. That fan (should be there, if not that is a lot of the problem) may be dead or the auto switch dead or both. I took the auto switch out of the circuit and am using a simple on/off switch located in the lower vent area, then used the same wiring to control 2 12-volt computer fans that I placed horizontally in the upper vent area that suck air from the inside area and exhaust thru the upper vent.
Between all this, my fridge has worked very well over the years--the fans I turn off when not on shore power unless parked in sunlight or warm areas.
Hope all of this helps you somewhat.
These fivers are life-long projects that will frustrate you at times, then provide lots of fun when you get it right.
If you like the trailer, and won't be doing much off-grid camping, a replacement with a residential fridge will fix your concerns.
Joe
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
oldbird

Thanks Joe, that's quite an explanation! Today I put some insulation in there like Cummins mentioned but didn't have a whole lot of insulation with me. Hitting the road again tomorrow but will get some more and a small fan of some sort. Thanks for the help! I had the Travel Supreme for eight years and had my share of problems so I know what your saying Joe. Once that Dometic refri quit and I could smell ammonia. Had to buy a complete unit and install it on my refri inside of the camper, that was fun.
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #17
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I purchased a regular 120 volt 5 inch small fan from Walmart, removed the base and was able to install it on the bottom of the vent opening to push hot air up and then bought another one and did the same thing only installed it on the top vent area to help push the hot air out. I ended up wiring them in unison and installing a manual on and off switch plugged into the 110 socket in that compartment. The on and off switch was accessible from the outside of the vent and when we were parked where it was hot, I then turned on the fans. They were quiet and really moved a lot of air. I don't think I could ever get ice cream to freeze solid, but my ice stayed frozen and it really helped when we were in those hot climates.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #18
wingnut60
Site Team

Stacey,
Nice idea, have read of several doing something like that. Also, just parking with the fridge side away from afternoon sun can be a big help, and if in the same place for a long time, a shade of some sort will also help.
We also have a wireless monitor that shows temps in the freezer and the fridge areas to let us know if we need to move the settings higher.
These 'movable homes' need a lot of help to overcome bad engineering and bad construction, no matter how much money you spend. I look at the new DRVs and then read about the issues, and just stay with my aging unit.
If I don't spend at least $500/year on fixing things, it's because I've gotten lazy.
Joe
Old 06-03-2016, 11:45 PM   #19
oldbird

What kind of insulation are you guys using?
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #20
Cummins12V98

Regular wall insulation.

Mine was a single door Dometic and it cooled GREAT after the mods.