Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Wife of Big Doofus

Extended warranty

I am set to pick up my new Mobile Suite this week & have a question about extended warranties. My dealer is offering me a 7 year for about $2200. I really didn't get much detail on the exact plan details & I know I need to in order to compare, but I wanted to know anyone else's opinion on purchasing a warranty.

I know there are several plans available, but not sure where to look.

Can anyone help me weed through all of the salesman's jargon?

Thanks

Wife of Big Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
rotaxman

Warrenty

Wife of big Doofus

Forget about the exteneded warrenty that the dealer offers I know for a fact that is a way that the salesmen make a lot of money. I can't devulge my source but trust me it's true.

You can't beat the Good Sams ESP we paid 2700 dollars for our extended warrenty through the dealer. Good Sams is the way to go

You didn't say what floor plan you got.

Hope this is of some help

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Mikey

Extended Warranty

I agree the Good Sam's may be a better price, but it is not available to us (Canadians) without a USA address.

I purchased a 7 year extended warranty - as far as I can tell, the only thing not covered is the 32 in TV. They cover up to 25".

All that being said - a warranty is only as good as the dealer who issues it, and remember: "The Big Print giveth" and "the Small Print taketh away!"[

Pick-up Date - June 18th
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
rotaxman

Warrenty

Amen Mikey you are totally correct on the print. Good luck.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
5thwheeler

Stay away from the dealerships extended warranty and stick to the advice of others. I'd be you sales rep pockets 60% of that $2200 and you get a very bad warranty.
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
billr

Mike,

Did you get the one that Can Am is selling? I have to decide to get one this month.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Wife of Big Doofus

When I looked up Good Sam's warranty they give a quote by the year. Would this mean I wouldn't need to get a Good Sam's warranty until my 2 year mobile suite warranty was up? The dealer said I only have 3 months after purchase to get their extended warranty without having an inspection on the unit. I did not see where Good Sam's say they require any inspection.

I was set to pick up my 36SB3 today, but they are installing w/d & it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully later this week!!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
RustyJC

Look very closely at the Good Sam ESP!!! They quoted our MS, and in the fine print was the requirement that the RV had to have documented scheduled maintenance performed on all systems (i.e., A/Cs, fridge, furnace, etc.) in accordance with the individual manufacturers' requirements. If this means an RV dealer/service facility is going to have to perform this work, add that annual cost to your ESP premium.

Rusty
2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 #1291
2002 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins HO/6-speed
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
Mikey

Bill

Maureen and I have agreed to purchase the policy offered through Can-Am. We left out the fabric and paint and rustproofing and tire and rim protection parts. Seems to offer what we want.
The policy is offered througha company called RV Advantage.
Includes everything except the 32" TV.
Also includes trip interruption, towing and road service, food spoilage, and covers manufacturer's deductable to $100.

Cost just over 1.6% of MSRP (excluding taxes)
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
layne

We bought the Assurant Solutions Service Agreement and the Select Tire & Wheel Protection Plan. I hope it's a good one on down the road when something happens. We don't know too much about it, but bought it from a very reputable dealer, but not the one we bought our ES from. Anybody know anything about this extended warranty?
layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
billr

Thanks Mike. I had a look into the Good Sam CSP, they will sell to Canadians but do req a US post address. Which I can manage.

After comparing the two policies, RV Advantage and CSP, they were pretty close, but the CSP had a deductible which I believe the other did not. They all have a lot of fine print and exceptions to watch for, but seem to cover the big ticket items. The rest I'll fix anyway. ha

The 7 yr policy at RV Advantage came in at $1800 CND and the Good Sam was $425 USD for the first year and about $325 each year after. That was with a $300 USD deductible! So it ends up less with the RV Advantage I think.

At least it is not a dealer extended warranty (which I understand to stay away from), but through an insurance company.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
Wife of Big Doofus

When I did a search on RV Advantage I just came up with RV insurance, not extended warranty. Maybe I missed something. Can you please tell me how to get in touch with them to get more info.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. Picking out & buying the RV seems to have been the easy part - all the warranty, insurance, satellite service, etc. are a nightmare. I guess I just want to make the best desision that I can.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #13
Mikey

RV Advantage

Not sure if available in the USA

800-838-7354

800-297-5569 (Quebec)

No Web Site that I could find
Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
Wife of Big Doofus

I talked to someone on the phone with Nationwide Ins. that sells extended service plans. He is supposed to be emailing me the contract details - mainly what IS NOT covered. It is about half the price of the one the dealer quoted me. I had filled out a form I found doing a search on the web for extended service plans. This is someone who just brokers them I think.

Anyone know anything about Nationwide?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
Burgener_chris

Just to add a couple points. For most extended plans, coverage is available for larger TV's for a small upcharge, most of these plans can be tailored with full premium reimbursement if not used in the 7 year period. Good Sam's program starts out with a great premium, then each year there after starts to get pricy. Think of it for what it is, insurance. These companies want the money to play with; gambling you won't use the service. In the end Good Sam is more expensive because they do not get as much upfront money to play with as the 7 year programs. Ultimately this is how the full reimbursement program can pay the full premium back if not used, they already made the money investing your initial premium. This protection is not for the casual "camper", it is designed for the full timer in their 3-4th year fulltiming when things begin to fail. As with everything, it is not for everybody.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
billr

Correction on RV Advantage (in Canada), there is a $100 deductible per visit and you have to have an address in Canada to get it.

You also have to buy the coverage before the first year in service is up, or it only covers for 4 yrs and is more $. It does cover a lot of items the MFG warranty may not, as well as out of unit living exp. For what it's worth.

Cheers,
Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770