Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
dalehandsome

DRV versus New Horizon

Has anyone compared the New Horizon Majestic with the DRV Elite or Mobile suites? Apparently the New Horizons are the #1 rated 5th wheels by rv.org. I went to the site but their membership is a bit pricy. We have a 2010 38 tksb3 Mobile Suites and are very happy. However, we have a friend who is looking and they asked us about the New Horizon Majestic. Any information would be much appreciated.

dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
hitchup

Sometimes, it's hard to tell unless you have both an Elite and the Majestic sitting side-by-side. Looking at the Pic of NH, I don't think their roofline is straight across like the ES.

A couple of years ago, we went to the Hershey Show and saw a few NH models. Not very impressive. Teton's and Suites looked much better, but things can change over time.

I don't ever recall seeing R-values listed either. Does NH have dealers across the country to do service?

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
dalehandsome

Up until just a few days ago I had never heard of new Horizon. What sparked my curiosity was this quote from another site.

“The custom unit we built was priced in the same range as an Elite Suite once we optioned-up the Elite. While it may be spec’ed similarly, it certainly does not compare from a technical perspective – the New Horizon is a superior unit in almost every respect”.

After a little research, I discovered that the New Horizon Majestic has a 12” Steel I-Beam frame and it’s walls are the standard 2” with 1 ˝ high density closed cell foam insulation. The walls are around an R-8 and the floor and ceiling are, from what I can gather, around R-16. They do insulate the bottom of their slides which I like. They also use another term that I do not understand. “Laminated, pinch-rolled exterior walls, roof, and floors provide superior insulation and draft free interiors”. What is pinch-rolled?

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone knew how the Elite or Mobile Suites were ranked in rv.org?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
jdwilson3

Squished between rollers.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
bstark

New Horizons had one set up at last years Tampa show and I crawled through the thing giving it a good look over. Build quality was superlative with wire runs and plumbing in organized runs rather than helter skelter. Wood work was fantastic with mitred corners for slideout trim instead of butt joints and ugly overlaps with flat stock mating up to scroll ogee trim.

But over-all finshed look was lacking somehow for us and bang for buck is, or was, still better with the DRV. JMHO
Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
wannabe

deleted comment....
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
hitchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehandsome
What sparked my curiosity was this quote from another site.

“The custom unit we built was priced in the same range as an Elite Suite once we optioned-up the Elite. While it may be spec’ed similarly, it certainly does not compare from a technical perspective – the New Horizon is a superior unit in almost every respect”.
Was this from an Ambassador/Owner who is New Horizon's Fulltime sales force? Or was it from someone who is a perspective buyer who just went through the Sales Pitch?

You have to be careful where information comes from.

David has been in construction for over 40 years (residential & commercial). Two years ago, we went through the DRV factory tour and Carriage. After seeing DRV, he said, he didn't want to see anymore. He knew they couldn't compare. We went through it again in Sept and they're continuing to make improvements in construction.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Motor31

At the time we were looking for our RV, DRV prices were considerably lower than they are now. I would estimate they were maintaining a far more modest profit margin while trying to establish themselves back in 2005. It was the price factor that made our final decision. I wish New Horizons price had been more comparable as we could not afford their unit.

I've been to both factories. I was very impressed by New Horizons and they were my first choice. I was also impressed by the then Mobile Suites factory but not favorably. New horizons assembly was done in a far slower tempo with more attention to detail, higher quality plumbing fasteners, bundled electrical wiring assembly rather than loosely stringing wires and no one was running across the factory floor like Mobile Suites assemblers were. I also did not see sections of supposedly glued in insulation fall out of the unit while the end cap was being assembled in New Horizons like I did at Mobile suites. The forward end cap assembly had to be halted while the workers draped the insulation back in the closet area before the end cap was installed.

There are certainly several construction differences between the units. New horizon uses a laminated wall with solid foam insulation. DRV uses a sandwich with fiberglass batting like material that is glued to the interior of the wall for insulation before the outer part of the wall is glued to the frame. Foam will not sag or drop like batting insulation will especially during the vibration and bouncing the unit will be experiencing as it goes down the road.

New horizons used large roller pressure machines to fully laminate their walls together in a horizontal position. Mobile suites used a few long pieces of wood, like 2x4's held in place over parts of the wall section with large clamps to put pressure on the outer section of wall so that the glue they applied with power caulk guns on the frame would adhere to the wall sections in a vertical position. I asked about the cure time on the glue and the rep said it was about 20 minutes before they would remove the clamps and lumber. Once assembled, the openings for the slide, windows and vents were then cut out of the wall after it was put in place in the trailer by Mobile Suites. Both factories have frame assemblies in the interior of their walls for structural support. One is just fully laminated.

As long as the price is even remotely comparable, now that DRV has considerably raised their prices, I would certainly give more consideration to New Horizons were we back in the market.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
dalehandsome

Thanks for all your comments. I wish I had known about New Horizons before we purchased so we could have visited their factory which is actually only two hours from our sons home in Kansas City which is our home base. In defense of the person who made the comment; he is an actual owner of a New Horizons Majestic and a very active member of another forum www.rv-dream.com.

Dale
Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
porkchop

So, your son is an owner of a New Horizons, very active in another forum about them. You only live 2 hours from the factory.
Yet you had never heard of them?
I don't understand the reason for your original post.
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
dalehandsome

Dear Porkchop,
Not sure what you are reading but our son is not owner of a New Horizon. We have a friend, as stated, that is looking at them. Up until our friend mentioned them, I had not heard of them. Sorry that somehow I offended you. I do suggest, however, you read posts a little more carefully before making negative comments!

Dale
Old 12-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
hitchup

In our anomymous Forum postings, it can be hard to know who is behind the keyboard. LOL

BTW: Did you intend it to be RV-dreams instead of RV-dream?

http://www.rv-dreams.com/forum.html

In addition to my first comment. They were overpriced a few years ago compared to a Suite (and may still be higher). Basements doors were lower, they were also narrower @ 96" wide. The ones on display were oak cabinets, which we had on our first lower end 5er. Just felt cramped and they didn't have many floorplan options at the time.

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/l...RETSS-97336477

FYI-Show schedule: Tampa in 2011

http://www.horizonsrv.com/resources/show-schedule
Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
hitchup

Apparently not many postings here on the New Horizons section of 5thwheelforums. The owners are at: http://www.nhog.us/
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
The View 5046

I have only been inside one New Horizon at Camping World don't remember the number or what level higher-end or entry level? I seen no reason I would want to get rid of my Suites.

Delaine and I talked about going to the Tampa Super RV show in Jan. We will be South of Tampa in Sebring, Fla. Might make it a day trip. But I can assure we want be trading. I think some of the Freightliner RV Haulers will be there.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
porkchop

Dale=What negative comment? All I asked was for a clarification to what I saw as a confusing statement. You did clarify. If my comment upset you-get some thicker skin.
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
bstark

New Horizons have had a full 102" wide body available for a few years now and they also provide similar option list to DRV products such as some form of hydraulic levelling whether it be Bigfoot or whatever and MorRyde suspensions etc.,

I've not done any comparative "digging" on the relative strengths of their 12" I-Beam vs the DRV composite stacked "box" frame in relation the number and placement of the holes cut into the DRV frame for slideout mechanism.

Were I considering purchasing another RV; New Horizons would certainly be on a short list for consideration.