Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
usandthreedogs

Insulation values in slides

Hey All, wife and I are thinking of trading up to a DRV soon. Does anyone know what the actual R values of the slides are? Floors, walls, roof etc.
Have any of you seen the actual construction of the slide rooms? I ask this because of previous experience with current RV. was told the slide were well insulated, only to discover while doing a window reseal that there was almost zero insulation! and NONE in the floor. so before we jump we'd like to know, Whats In There?

Barney

2005 Titanum 34E39Qs
02 Ford F550 CC 4x4.
we call him Tom Dually
usandthreedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
cptxguys

The slide walls are constructed the same as the side walls. I've been to the factory and watched them being built.

They now use a higher density fiberglass insulation in units which provide higher R values than in previous years. Sill using the 3 1/4" walls which now provide R16. The roof is R25 and the floor is R29. They are the highest in the industry.

2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
usandthreedogs

so are you saying the the slide walls are 3.5 thick? What about the slide floors and roof?
thanks for your reply.

Barney
2005 Titanum 34E39Qs
02 Ford F550 CC 4x4.
we call him Tom Dually
Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
GlennWest

I sit next to the door slide window in my MS. Straight in line with tv. lol. We hang a blanket over the window. My arm will get cold as ice from the draft if we don't. I do not have dual pane though. Mine is an 06 though. Also window in bed slide, window on my side, is same. We have to stuff pillow over it. Care less what DRV claims r rating is. Cold as ice air. I'd hate to be in a cold climate. I'm in southern Texas now.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
The View 5046

Our Suites is a 2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 with dual pane windows with 3 1/4" walls. The R-Factors are Side walls R-16 with two moisture barriers, Floor R-29, and the Roof is R-25. Both our 2009 and 2010 Mobile Suites does hold heat and air better than any 5th wheel we have owned. That being said there is no 5th wheel that will work in extreme prolonged cold weather (IMO). The design of being off the ground with air under the 5er. And the slide seals is just a narrow piece of rubber?? However as someone stated thats why they have wheels, move to warmer weather in the cold month. But with this Global warming this winter we haven't really been in warm weather but we didn't have SNOW, its been the coldest winter in South Ala.(Gulf Shores) in 25 years. We are going to Arizona next winter!!! GBY....

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Motor31

The R values were set based on a wall with no holes poked in it for doors or windows. Once you break the insulation for those items the entire R value drops. Fiberglass always drops as well even in a fixed location Park model much less one that is dragged down bumpy roads.

We have dual pane windows. I still feel cold seeping through the one next to my chair and I recently pulled and resealed that one. That 1/4" air gap is not much insulation at all. It is slightly more than a single pane but not by much. Heat transfers through as well from solar heating and radiating into the unit. We had to foil the big back window when the rig had that end pointed towards the west while in AZ. in spring and summer. The curtains stay down when we do not want the sun in to help heat the rig or they are not in shade like from the awning.

If the walls are about 1/3 windows I'd consider the R value to be down by at least the same amount over all.

Another thing to consider is the slide out floors are not insulated other than by the plywood they are made with from what I have seen in my rig.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
usandthreedogs

Mike, I understand the effect of windows and R values.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying there is NO INSULATION in the slide floors! That sucks. might as well have a 12ft hole in the side of the rig.

Always figured the RV designers that put big windows in the walls and slide ends never lived in one, just like most RV salesmen.

I was hoping for better info. may have to look at other brands.

Barney
2005 Titanum 34E39Qs
02 Ford F550 CC 4x4.
we call him Tom Dually
Old 02-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
GlennWest

Might want to check out Excel units. It's a hard choice. I like MS floor plans better. Came very close to buying an Excel. The air coming in at the windows on the slides and the gap under the kitchen slide is the only issues I have with my MS. Read a lot on Excel forum and didn't find these issues. Not saying they don't though.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
usandthreedogs

Glenn, how do you like the 32TK3? That is the model we are looking at.
I really like the frame and axles on the MS and the 3" walls.
I also work on the road, I do gas line inspections. we are never sure where they are going to send us so good insulation is very important. We also like to stay in National and State parks whenever possible that's why we want the shorter unit.
Sad to hear they don't insulate the slides very well.

Barney
2005 Titanum 34E39Qs
02 Ford F550 CC 4x4.
we call him Tom Dually
Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
keithandpenne

A lot of the air infiltration with the thermopane windows is through the condensation weep holes. Remove the screen and pull one of the plastic covers, it is an open hole to the outside.

I have been covering them with foam insulation and it has helped reduce the wind whisle that we had before I insulated.
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
GlennWest

cons are: kitchen slide seal, has gap between floor and slide. Lets in critters, air, etc. I cram window air conditioner insulation under it. Works well even if patch. 2=cold air comes in from windows, already mentioned. Pros: frame, cabinetry, floor plan, really terrific job of utilizing space, hydraulic landing gear, trail air suspension, 17,500 lb load cap., did I mention DW loves it. Calls it her "doll house'. dual ac/heat pumps (it has been down to 27 f here and we have not used propane heater; heat pump and Lasho electric heater in combination kept it warm), trail air hitch (pulls great), spring shackles adjustable for 4x4s, need I say more. We like it. I'll admit, full timing in a 33'8" coach is a challenge. A 38' or larger would be better suited for us but my tow vehicle has to be my daily commute also. We weight 15,600 at last weighing. Max limit on our dually. Also if your tvs haven't been upgraded they won't receive ota stations. I also had to replace all tires, throwing treads off. Hope this helps. I'll try to answer anything else you need to know.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Jack in Alaska

The man (usand3dogs) asked how thick the walls, floor and ceiling are in the slide out.
He got all kinds of "mish-mash' back but no one gave him any dimensions for those areas. I want to know those also.
Does anyone know how thick the short walls are on the slides and how much insulation is in them. Also the same for the ceiling and floors.
My unit is pretty good in cold weather but it definitely has some short comings in the slide area for heat retension.
Thanks.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Motor31

Barney,

Yup the slide floors are just insulated by plywood. Look at how thin the floor is and you'll see there is no room for insulation there.

Second issue is that DRV feels that a wiper seal (single in my rigs case) is all that is needed to seal around the slides for both rain and air transfer. I don't know about you but I don't think a single piece of rubber less than a 1/4" thick is very insulating, especially when they cut four 5" long holes in the seal under a very long slide. When the sun is low it lets day light in as well as air, dirt, bugs and anything else that can fit. Those seals cover a lot of area as the slides are pretty large. The door side slide is also not centered in the opening either so the wiper next to the door has a very small contact point.

We had an excel before this rig. It had additional bulb style seal around the inside mating surface of every slide to seal against air and water movement to the inside in addition to the wiper seal. We were going to buy another excel except they only go up to 36' and have 60 gallon fresh water tanks. We wanted a larger rig and more water.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Jack in Alaska

I JUST CHECKED MY WIPER SEALS. THEY ARE DOUBLE SEALED.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
GlennWest

Mine are not double sealed.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
usandthreedogs

Rain day for work today. Sitting here web surfing, looking at the DRV site and got an idea. Call the factory! Grabbed the phone and spoke with Dan Tauer. very nice, very helpful. the slide room outside and end walls are all R16. the roof is R16. floors are R7-8. the walls and the roof are all 3.25 inches thick.
so there you go. Sometimes its just quicker to call the man that makes the darn thing

Thanks for all your help
Barney
2005 Titanum 34E39Qs
02 Ford F550 CC 4x4.
we call him Tom Dually
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
gypsybill

There ya go.... i was gonna ask while at the factory this May but you saved me the trouble... I sit in the slide area 98% of the time and on the coldest days and nights, I do notice the floor is a bit colder than surrounding areas... didn't notice this too much when I had the recliners, but now that I am sitting in lawn chairs while I wait for my reclining love seat to arrive from La-z-Boy :-)

2010 DRV MS 36RSSB3 #5073
gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote