Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
RonS

New TV

Time to start looking for a HD Flat TV for living room to get away from the digital converter box etc. What have you used (size/Brand) for replacement and how did you mount it to keep it from moving around.

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
traveler

Well, I took a clean, but more complex approach. I bought a 32 inch LCD Panasonic that was an almost perfect fit to the TV shelf, without most of the stand.

I then took the back off of the TV and removed the stand and replaced it with two angle irons that I drilled with holes so that I could screw them into the holes into which the stand screwed. I replaced the back.

The angle irons were then bolted to the cabinet shelf. The angle irons were further braced with a diagonal member.

This is a very clean installation but took a few hours to accomplish.

I will be at my TK3 tomorow and will take a few pictures and post them.

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
rdunk

I don't know very much about it, but if you are considering a new "flat panel" (not flat screen) type TV, then you may want to consider the latest technology for the best picture. That would be an "LED" TV. They are so new, some of the stores don't have them yet. I haven't seen them in Wal-Mart yet - lol. I did see some Samsung LED's in Best Buy this week. The contrast ratios of the LED TV's are off the charts, in the millions-to-one rather than a few thousand-to-one. Also, the LED TV's I have seen are higher resolution, and have 120hz screen refresh rate, which helps to eliminate the screen jitter. Samsung does have a 32 inch LED TV, and I think it is in the $1200 to $1500 range. Probably in the lower range on the internet. I really haven't searched out who else is making the LED TV's.

We haven't replaced our 27 inch Sony, so I can't help with the installation. That old heavy picture tube TV has such a good picture, I just haven't found a good reason to change it out yet (except forrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the weight).

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
bstark

We just inherited a 32" LCD that had previously (2 mo's) been used by my FIL in the assisted care facility he's at but his alzheimer's has taken his ability and desire to reason with the remote. That will find a temporary home in the trailer until we verify that a Panasonic 37" has the maximum dimensions to fit in the cavity above the fireplace.

I carried that Sony Wega out of there yesterday and have a whole new crop of hemmeroids to prove it! I'm going to use the wall mount we had used to install the thing in his room previously but will have to fab up a vertical backer board on that slideout drawer to mount it to. That won't be a big deal as with the flat panel TV's there's a lot of room left over depth wise. The 37" will probably necessitate the removal of the drawer completely for additional height clearance but that will be no loss either as we never use it anyway.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
RGordon

I went with the Samsung HDTV 40" from the factory and it fits inside the opening over the fireplace. It is attached to the wall just under the overhead cabinet.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

new tv

Vizio 32" in place of Sony 27" boat anchor-- it sits on the old pull-out plate just fine, and I keep it from moving while traveling with a foam-covered board behind it.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
LJJMB

New Tv

We took out the old Sony and removed the slide out tray.
We put 37"Vizio in its place. We put 2 screws through the base and when we travel we put a expanding shower rod with a foam cover across the front of it and all is well and secure. Been on some pretty ruff roads with no problems. Much better fit than the Sony. If you need to hook up any attachments for games and etc. it will swivel just enough to reach the side
2006 MS 36TK3 #2914
LJJMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
LJJMB

New Tv

We took out the old Sony and removed the slide out tray.
We put 37"Vizio in its place. We put 2 screws through the base and when we travel we put a expanding shower rod with a foam cover across the front of it and all is well and secure. Been on some pretty ruff roads with no problems. Much better fit than the Sony. If you need to hook up any attachments for games and etc. it will swivel just enough to reach the side
2006 MS 36TK3 #2914
LJJMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Gemstone

We replaced the Sony with a 37" Visio, and use a strap to hold it in place while traveling. If you have DirecTV and plan on viewing HD programming, you'll also need to upgrade your package and equipment to HD compatible.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
RonS

Thanks to all - I went with the Vizio 37 HD Flat screen. Put a board behind the TV so that it can not move backwards and when traveling will use a strap. Could not really test it to see if my wireing is correct as I have it stored in a shed. But will be leaving in a couple weeks for the RGValley for the winter. And if needed play with the wireing.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
sje

ron, on my 2007 36 tk3 i have 32'' of side to side measurement, is this smaller than yours, the 37'' tvs that i have looked at are too big to fit, most of the 32'' have a size of about 31.5 across, i would love to put something bigger in. I would also like to be leaving now for RGV. we got two inches of snow last nite, way to early. will be leaving for RGV day after christmas. where do you stay, we stay at tip of texas in pharr, sje
Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Gemstone

sje....on our '06 TK3, the outside measurements, between the moulding is 35.5". it opens up to a tad over 37 once you get past the moulding. My 37" Visio measures 36.5"...tight but it works. The frame around the screen varies greatly between TV manufacturers, Visio is relatively small, thus allowing for a 37" fit.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
RonS

sje - I have the same measuerments as Gemstone (same unit, same TV). I have it mounted in the opening now and all is well. I just purchased a pull out tray which I am going to mount (its going to be tight) under the TV which will hopefully allow me to utilize the wasted space behind the TV for whatever. The past 4 winters we stayed at Weslaco, this winter we will be at Alamo, TX (Casa Del Valle site 243) which is not that far from Pharr. I know where the Tip of Texas park is located, but have not stopped in to check it out. If your in the area stop and say HI. We will be heading south as soon as our Grandson returns to Iraq when his Army leave is over.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
sje

ron, I will have to check out my opening again, my 36 tk3 is a select suite, i dont know if it makes any differance, I have driven by your rv park many times, seems like we are always going over to alamo for something. we ended up with 5 1/2'' snow last nite, hope it melts fast. hope your grandson stays safe, and we will look you up in texas after christmas. sje steve in nebraska
Old 10-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #15
Jack in Alaska

I replaced my Sony museum piece with a VIZIO flatscreen and keep it in place with two chunks of a swimming pool noodle jambed in on each side.
It does not move and is a cheap fix.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote