Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #21
bstark

Oh Dang; another senior second or in this case, hour, I am indeed sorry for not getting your name Ponch and I do wish to thank you for showing the system to us. I was on a mission to get over to doubletree before they closed up for the day as I was picking up a bunch of warranty repair items for a few folks up here in Canada. In retrospect I believe Dale did perform introductions but I was in a dither to get going. You even helped get that hitch up on the back of my truck! Haaar!

My sincere apologies and owe you a sit-down and cold one (or 2 or 3) next time we meet.

By the By, the hitch has been completely dismantled and repainted and is now ready for lowering between the frame rails of my truck.

Just off the top of my head, I believe we are the luckiest bunch of RV'ers to have as much guaranteed access to the support of a guy like Dale Fenton.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
We will do just that next time.
Dale is a very generous man and has done much for the industry!

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #23
billr

I will second the comments on Dale. he and Wanda are great folks! They have been there every time I needed assistance!

Don, shorting up that sewer pipe was an easy task, a couple of couplings, cut the two pipes and glue back up! I also added a gate valve (glued on) and added a fitting that accepts the cap on the end. That stops all the nice "surprise stuff" when the cap comes off! :lol: :shock:

Best of all, no racing the slide operator/officinado! :P

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #24
Motor31

The farther you can move that sewer pipe from the tires the better. That was a pretty silly design decision to put it in the tire well. If the front tire goes, the sewer system can take a devastating hit making a bad situation much worse. You won't know how much damage the pipes and tank have until you load up the tank. A split line or tank would be very ungood. If it was a loaded tank when the tire goes that could make fixing / replacing the tire very unpleasant.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #25
RodeWorthy

Mike, you have conjoured up quite a graphic image that has stirred me to action. Sure would not want to experience that scenario.

I am quite sure I can get the pipe locally, not so sure about the gate. Will have to shop around. Bill, I have pictures of your mods so the pattern is set. The project is under way.

Thanks for your comments.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #26
billr

Mike is right on! Every blown tire on that side that I have read about has also tore up the sewer pipes! Really a bad spot! Never mind the Propane pipes!!!

Don,
I picked it all up at Can AM (I happened to be there), they had the gate with the glue on adapter to pipe and one that accepts the cap, you need all 3 parts. You can also get the gate that just goes on where the cap is now, but I think they may come off to easy.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #27
bstark

Mike and Bill: You guys are right on the money. The tread separation I experienced was on that side, front tire and it took out the sewer dump, the electrical lines and the complete quick draw support along with the fender trim. I should have moved that sewer forward then but simply replaced with the added gate valve on the end.

I will rectify that little oversight tout-suite!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #28
Motor31

Sewer dump valves are pretty common in RV supply stores, both the 3" black and the 2" grey variety. I would recommend setting up the pipe with a standard valve assembly so that later on when the valve goes bad you can replace it just like the ones currently installed in the rig. They are bolt on sections rather than glue on. If you use a strictly glue on you will have to cut the pipe again to do the replacement. Eventually you'll run out of extra pipe.

Who ever decided to put the pipe in the wheel well as well as other stuff really should look at the situation and see how it relates to the tires in the real world. It's a lot different on the road than it is in the showroom. IMO it's hardly a case of good thinking in the design.

FWIW I have already had a failure of the black tank valve assembly. Of course it was with a full tank. I had to get to an RV service center and they opened the valve manually to dump it. Then replaced the valve with a standard "T" handle valve. A replacement cable valve was not available at the time. I now reach in the basement to open the black tank as the cable pull as installed by the factory was very hard to move. Lubing it wasn't helpful and that led to the failure. When I pulled the cable I had to use both hands.

The grey valve isn't nearly as accessible and I am dreading it's failure. I am afraid that I will be stuck installing another cable pull when that happens.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #29
bstark

Mike:
The other 2 options is to replace them with the 12v or a pneumatic variety. Now, something I've been led to believe from discussions with folks that have had or still have electric is they are prone to failure. I say this because whenever the topic has arisen in RV parks, I never hear from the folks that have electric valves and are happy with them but rather the ones who have had them and hated them for there propensity for failure and leaving them scratching their heads wondering: "what the h--- do we do now?"

Perhaps they have been vastly improved with a newer design that is accummulating a record for reliability?

I know nothing of the pneumatic variety but if you have on-board air with a small storage tank for your suspension etc., they may be worth looking into. I discovered them by accident while perusing the Valterra site looking for more info on the electric ones. They look like a tiddley little device and from years of experience with those types of cylinders attached to mechanical devices, they should be reliable if mounted vertical to prevent any leakage from corroding the piston rod.

Care to do any Beta Testing for us???
Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #30
rdunk

How did "leveling a 5th wheel" thread get so far off subject, into talking about the "crapper" stuff??? lol! I know that most anything associated with the black tank/drain lines/etc. is probably far more important (especially if it is "my" problem), than leveling the 5th wheel. But in the future, anyone here needing help, and looking for the "crapper line/valve stuff", is probably not going to look for it under "leveling".

Just for what it's worth!!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #31
john

leveling

It would make more sense to start a new topic
Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #32
Mighty Fishy

Send a message via ICQ to Mighty Fishy
Comparison

Getting back to the original topic, I wonder how this leveling system compares to the "Bigfoot" or the other levelers on the market. If I were to add a leveling system I would really like to only do it once..
pulling a 2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3
& carrying a 1995 Geo Tracker 4x4 convertible "LT"
Mighty Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #33
billr

Like some of the Aircraft I work on, you could install two seperate "Crapper" tanks and use a "Crap" transfer system to level things out. No, really!!

Now we are back on "topic" :lol: :lol:

We are scheduled for the install at Trailair in Oct. Many thanks to all the info posted!!

Mike,

call Dale at Trailair and ask him what the differences are between his and the Big foot. I think it has something to do with the amount of twist it puts on the frame and the way it works. I think also DT and Lippert does not approve the Bigfoot for use. They do approve this one. Yes, Trailair is Lippert, but I think there is more to it. Some folks have put the Bigfoot on the MS and have not heard any reports on problems. Not sure what the cost diff is.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #34
Carny Bill

cost is just about double that of dales, I looked into it a few years ago....
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #35
Mighty Fishy

Send a message via ICQ to Mighty Fishy
Leveling the 5er

Double the cost makes sense when you consider the Bigfoot is 4 legs that replace the landing gear as well as the rear stabilizers. This system actually adds 2 more contact points mid-ship while using the existing landing gear. I think a closer look would be a sound financial idea!
pulling a 2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3
& carrying a 1995 Geo Tracker 4x4 convertible "LT"
Mighty Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #36
47hook

It would be nice to see if this system also increases stability/reduces bounce when set up.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #37
vmc4820

Leveling system

We had the system installed at Trailair this week. Looking forward to seeing if it increases the "stability" when parked. Will know this weekend. Anxious to try it out!
SOITC member #4454
'06 F350 CC Lariat DRW 2WD w/ Trailer Saver TS3
vmc4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #38
Carny Bill

Please let us know....My unit (with levelers) is enroute to my dealer in Springdale,AR, I probably will not be able to get there til later next week to pick it up....Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #39
RonS

Had the Trailair leveling system installed 6-11-08. Used twice on way back home from Dales trailair shop. I think it is now more stable. Like any new item will take some getting used to the operation of the system. So far with two set ups everything as far as leveling has gone well. My leveling boards will go in fire ring, as soon as it stops raining. I did have unhitching problems both times, could not find the right spot to relieve TrailAir pin pressure from hitch. Could not pull out release handle. I have a 20K Valley hitch. I will have to play with it to get everything lined up right. I moved the truck back and forth, raised and lowered the landing gear, just could not open the hitch jaw. I hope it has nothing to do with the added leveling system. While at Trailair Ron McCoy dropped my hitch to the lowest hole, making everything level for traveling. When I have time will hook back up and and see if I can get my unhitching process like it should be. Dale and Trailair are VERY customer friendly, I feel they did all they could to make my purchase a happy experience.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #40
Mikey

Unhitching

Learned this from Andy at Can-AM

1. Chock trailer
2. Lower front landing gear until you think it's right (tiny gap above saddle)
3. Check the chocks
4. Put truck in reverse - (it can't go anywhere - chocks)
5. No pressure on hitch - handle pulls with no trouble.

Works for me

2008 F450
Full-timing at last!
www.HomeIsWhereWeParkIt.net
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote